Rhinos Release the Beast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The beast is always welcome back to the kennel but the question is where will he play i mean will Idris move back to the backline as Ryan is staying on for next year and moving stagg for number 13 position would be a crime.... also what happens to foster and gordon now who are both capable of playing in the backrow ???

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Eastwood wants to break his contract 2 years before expiry to sign with another club due to homesickness = Kennel welcomes him with open arms and absolutely loves him for it!

Hannant wants to break his contract 1 year before expiry (but would stay on if necessary) to sign with another club due to homesickness = Kennel giving him absolutely sh*t, saying they've lost respect for him and wishes he gets his fat arse out the door right now and not even wait...

People have been blowing loads over Eastwood for the past 6 months to come back to Australia.

Just a TAD hypocritical don't you think?
Umm No. Eastwood is in England, Hannant is a 1.5 hour flight away. Much different scenario dude.

And FTR, we are Bulldogs supporters, not charity cases of what's right and wrong. I think as supporters people have a right to feel upset through passion of their club about players pissing all over our season.

Regarding Hannant though, I'm much over the respect thing now anyway. Most of it was out of anger. Really not fussed about him anymore.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone checked Toddys twitter? I need to know we've signed him now or i wont breath till i do. Ok i had to breath but i want to know now *stomps*

I'm sure one of two things will happen in the next three days. We'll quickly get Eastwoods signature on a contract that was all but finalized weeks ago. Or the Kennel will become a seething mass of murderous rage if he decides to test the open market. Knowing player managers he's probably already got some idea of what other clubs would be willing to pay for him. Hopefully he doesn't give us all heart murmers by looking for a few more dollars before he signs a contract anywhere.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Umm No. Eastwood is in England, Hannant is a 1.5 hour flight away. Much different scenario dude.

And FTR, we are Bulldogs supporters, not charity cases of what's right and wrong. I think as supporters people have a right to feel upset through passion of their club about players pissing all over our season.

Regarding Hannant though, I'm much over the respect thing now anyway. Most of it was out of anger. Really not fussed about him anymore.
Their is definitly a difference in situations as you pointed out!

but Slip is right, both broke contracts. We crucify one and celebrate the other! I certainly feel that way. I was definitly anti-hannat for a while!

ProudDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is massive new, hurry up and re-sign with the Dogs

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Eastwood wants to break his contract 2 years before expiry to sign with another club due to homesickness = Kennel welcomes him with open arms and absolutely loves him for it!

Hannant wants to break his contract 1 year before expiry (but would stay on if necessary) to sign with another club due to homesickness = Kennel giving him absolutely sh*t, saying they've lost respect for him and wishes he gets his fat arse out the door right now and not even wait...

People have been blowing loads over Eastwood for the past 6 months to come back to Australia.

Just a TAD hypocritical don't you think?
STFU what do you know :p

Credit should be paid to chipnchase and bigbird, they have been spruiking that Gregory would come back and they were on the money. The deal is not finalised yet though, a transfer fee needs to be agreed upon.

BTW I'll be ******* pumped when it is made official.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score

So you feel that you are able to be the judge of what distance constitutes homesickness, and what doesn't? That's not yours, or anybody's judgement to make, because there are different degrees of homesickness. Does Eastwood have a wife and 3 kids to factor into his decision? One person cannot speak for the world. Homesickness may hit Hannant easier than Eastwood, true? Some people are mentally stronger than others, true? There are a multitude of variables.

The fact is, both were looking to break their contract for one reason or another, yet only one cops the belting.

Is that fair? Is it not hypocritical of those who praise Eastwood yet hammer Hannant?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Greg Eastwood - F U C K YEAH!!!!

Greenburg has already been in talk with Leeds over this, thats why the announcement has only officially been made now. Refer to my post on here about it.

By me on 20/07/10
2. (and this is coming from a source within Leeds that my Dad's friends in the UK apparently know)
Eastwood is still to put pen to paper, and talks have kinda stalled. Eastwood is seriously considering moving back to Aus, and Leeds are in a conundrum on what to do.

New rule changes come into place in ESL next year which limit the number of international players a team can field.

Leeds are looking at other players now available for the future, which may mean Eastwood can't be kept/played by them despite being signed for next year. The ONLY way around the new ESL ruling is for the player to become a UK citizen. This is where the problem lays.

Leeds are also concerned he is becomming injury prone and are considering releasing him for a more reliable UK or International player.

So Leeds are tossing up between keeping him, or releasing him and getting another player (UK or international) who is less injury prone, and more likely to become a UK citizen (and thus stay with them for the long run).

I believe that is were the ball lies at the present point in time.

Make of that what you will, but it explains the hold up in regards to a potential announcement here or overseas. Eastwood can want out all he likes, but unless Leeds release him from his contract, his only other way out is SBW style (which he wouldn't do).
A timely announcement given that Greenburg met only the other day with Salary Cap auditors, and we've held off confirming any other signings.... coincidence or not?

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I highly doubt he would have broken his contract if he hadnt already finalised a deal with a club. I think we'll be hearing he's signed with a club within the coming days

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
There is a difference.

One is generally homesick
It is a huge pet hate of mine when people confuse the word genuinely and generally. Completely different meanings how does this get mixed up so often!?!

Great news about Eastwood. Fingers cross he signs with us! I think people were just hurt Hannat does not love the club as much as we all do !! Of course if he was rubbish, it wouldn't bother us all so much.

Eastwood is a dogie, you can tell (last year) he genuinely loves playing for the dogs.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So you feel that you are able to be the judge of what distance constitutes homesickness, and what doesn't? That's not yours, or anybody's judgement to make, because there are different degrees of homesickness. Does Eastwood have a wife and 3 kids to factor into his decision? One person cannot speak for the world. Homesickness may hit Hannant easier than Eastwood, true? Some people are mentally stronger than others, true? There are a multitude of variables.

The fact is, both were looking to break their contract for one reason or another, yet only one cops the belting.

Is that fair? Is it not hypocritical of those who praise Eastwood yet hammer Hannant?
I agree and that's a fair call, but what do you expect the Bulldogs supporters to do? Crucify Eastwood for breaking his contract because we cucified Hannant for it?

It all comes back to the passion of the team. People support the club at the end of the day, not the player. I'm not saying what Eastwood is doing is right, but people have in mind the interests of the club. You can't expect people to shoot him down when he is doing good for the club, as opposed to bad.

Basically, you do good for the club - supporters will praise you. You bring harm and commisery to the club, expect to be shot down by the fans.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I agree and that's a fair call, but what do you expect the Bulldogs supporters to do? Crucify Eastwood for breaking his contract because we cucified Hannant for it?

It all comes back to the passion of the team. People support the club at the end of the day, not the player. I'm not saying what Eastwood is doing is right, but people have in mind the interests of the club. You can't expect people to shoot him down when he is doing good for the club, as opposed to bad.

Basically, you do good for the club - supporters will praise you. You bring harm and commisery to the club, expect to be shot down by the fans.
well said, Eastwood may be breaking a contract but it is just normal for fans to get excited as he may return to us.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score

I'm all for being happy with Eastwood coming back, and I would hope other people are too. I mean, he's a good player, and he's exactly what we need style-wise. By all means, express your happiness if he's heading over to us. In saying that, he hasn't even signed with the Bulldogs yet, so let's not jump to conclusions that he is currently doing any good for the club.

The point I'm making is, by all means do all of the above, but we shouldn't give it to another bloke who has done exactly the same thing, in a much more difficult situation - if I can put it that way. Contracts in Rugby League apparently don't mean much these days, true? That's what plenty of people believe.

But all you have to do is look at football. Players sign 5 year contracts with their club, yet are sold, or request to be sold for a variety of reasons, 1 or 2 years later. Would you say contracts mean much in football? Hell no. They mean MUCH less in football than they do in League, but look where football is compared to our game...? It's just commonly accepted in football, and I don't know one person who has a problem with it.

It's simply a part of the industry these people, and clubs/businesses, subject themselves to. Unless as an individual you are gonna strive to do something about contracts meaning much in League, then we just have to accept the situation as part of the industry as a whole. Even then, I think people are becoming too involved in the personal lives of players, and judging their character by words on a page which mean relatively little in the grand scheme of things, in an industry where it is acceptable.

Care about the footy, which is the reason why we love/watch/support the game. Care not about words on a page.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hannant and his wife could visit family during the weekend, or during the off season.

A bit hard for Eastwood (who misses his family and that was the main reason to come home), to shoot back in off season or during weekend.

Here's hoping he's coming back to the Dogs because we looked after him when he needed a team to play for, and he rewarded us with career best form.

With him and Idris as second rowers if he signs on... we have hitmen either side of the field, forwards that can bend a line, and an impressive backline supported by decent halves. 2011 could be an interesting year.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
look we all would not mind (well generally) if say Jonathan Thurston or Roy Asotasi or Steve Price (going a few years back) etc. broke their current club contracts to come back to us, of course not! I think is because there is a fundamental belief in bulldog supporters that playing for the blue and white cannot compare to any other club and deep down we still believe players alike feel like at the end of such players careers they will essentially feel they were bulldogs. Its clear Hannant never felt that way.. you can just tell the colours really did not mean much to him. I think the all the backlash was just a little hurt from the fact that the blue and white had no profound affect on him.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Greg Eastwood Latest Setback !

Dogs baulk at Eastwood transfer fee
GLENN JACKSON
July 30, 2010

GREG EASTWOOD is set to return to the NRL next season after securing an early release from Leeds - but a $175,000 transfer fee being demanded by his English club has Canterbury, his former team, baulking.

While agreeing to place him on the transfer market, the Rhinos are playing hardball with the large transfer settlement demand, which clearly shocked Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg. The Bulldogs have long been linked to a return by Eastwood, a key member of their run to the preliminary final last year.

Eastwood, a New Zealander, joined the club while he waited for a visa wrangle to resolve so he could join Leeds.

However he has failed to settle in the north of England and Leeds, the Super League champions, will reluctantly release him from the final two years of his current deal - at a substantial price.

Greenberg last night said he would not be willing to pay such a fee.

''Certainly not,'' Greenberg said. ''Last time I looked, we're not the Commonwealth Bank. As much as we'd like to have him, we can't afford those sorts of transfers.''

An option, potentially, would be for the Bulldogs to absorb some of the transfer fee but the rest to be paid by Eastwood himself, given he is desperate to return.

The Bulldogs are used to negotiating these sorts of deals. They demanded the Warriors pay $2m to allow Sonny Bill Williams to play for the New Zealand club and also negotiated compensation for losing prop Ben Hannant to Brisbane.

Eastwood, a former Bronco, has had a succession of injuries, but wants to return home primarily to be closer to his family. North Queensland have been searching for back-row talent after losing Luke O'Donnell to Huddersfield, while Newcastle, Cronulla and the Warriors could also be homes for the Kiwi.

Eastwood said in a statement: ''Unfortunately I have found it tough without my family here in the UK and that is the only reason that I want to return to the NRL. I would not go to another club in Super League but hopefully somebody will give me a chance in Australia.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-at-eastwood-transfer-fee-20100729-10y0i.html

The headline on this link has "Greg Eastwood signs with Bulldogs"

i don't get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.