News Reynolds admits he was 'Mbye'

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was a dud buy’: Reynolds’ brutal admission as shock Tigers player swap emerges

Josh Reynolds has brutally admitted to being “a dud buy” for Wests Tigers as a potential player swap deal emerges at Concord.

Reynolds has been released by the Tigers, freeing up about $800,000 on the club’s books as he heads to Super League club Hull FC.

Channel 9 now reports the Tigers may snap up Gareth Widdop, who wants to move back to Australia.

Widdop played with the Storm and Dragons before heading overseas two years ago, and recent reports suggest he is willing to accept only $300,000 to get another NRL contract.

Reynolds, meantime, is preparing to move to England.

He spoke candidly to Channel 9 on Monday and addressed criticism he never lived up to his hefty price tag at the Tigers, where he struggled to get a game.

“To be fair I was a dud buy for the Tigers because they didn’t get their moneys worth,” he said.

That’s fine, I’m happy to admit that. But then again I can’t control injury or selection so I don’t know what people want me to do.

“It puts a dent in your pride.

“Some guys can come and take money and it’s just a job for them, and that’s fine too. But for me it is hard, because I love what I do and I’m pretty passionate about it.

“I have lost my love for the game a bit, because I’m not playing first grade.

“In the two or three days since I’ve signed this deal I can already feel it coming back again.”

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
That’s why I like him. Full Dogs

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was overpriced from the start, even injury free his style was inconsistent and was only really good in a supportive role. I liked his spark and how he tried to think outside the square like his idol Ennis but just didn't have his X Factor

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never seen a worst Canterbury player in my life

Thank Fuk thats over
I think you're forgetting about Fred Briggs and Ben Czislowski, to name a couple of worse Bulldogs palyers...

To be fair, he got a great contract offer from Cleary to get 'on the bus' and i don't think anyone begrudged him taking it. He could put on a move now and again and for all the lack of talent, he made up for it in terms of energy and manipulating the rules as much as possible (no-one can forget about how he did a somersault to get a penalty (vs Manly?), or kicking the ball intentionally at the ref to get the ball back?) - hope he has a great career over in the ESL

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad he left when he did, but you can only blame the Tigers for signing him at 800k per season as it was stupid money. He had every right to take the deal.

He would have done better I believe, if Ivan stayed as it was clear from day 1 Madge didn't rate him or want him in the team. As a result he was never able to settle at the Tigers, playing in multiple grades and multiple positions with zero stability or consistency.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good on Reynolds for being so honest. It's rare you see a player in any sport be so frank about how they didn't play well or provide value for money.

It sucked seeing his career turn out the way it did and I hope he can stay healthy and tear up in England.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
800K...WOW that was serious overs paid right up there with our best fuckups..almost

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Good on Reynolds for being so honest. It's rare you see a player in any sport be so frank about how they didn't play well or provide value for money.

It sucked seeing his career turn out the way it did and I hope he can stay healthy and tear up in England.
regardless of what anything thinks, reynolds was very good for us imo, hopefully he stay's injury free and he will be very good over there in an attacking focused game.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Totally agree

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Glad he has moved on, good luck to him..!!

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Loved the passion JR brought with him, good luck in the old dart son.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never seen a worst Canterbury player in my life

Thank Fuk thats over
I can think of a few far worse then him just to name a few Lachlan Lewis, Tony Williams, Michael Lichaa, Ben Czislowski, Fred Briggs, Heki Neni, Nick Kouparitsas, Jon Green, Tim Winitana, Matt Frawley, Marcelo Montoya

I could probably name a whole lot more I'm not Reynolds biggest fan but he isnt the worst Canterbury player

Last edited:

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Reynolds got us out of trouble in games plenty of times. I’ll always have respect for him because of the years he spent at the Dogs. Was never the most skillfull but fuck did he have a good crack. Good luck Grub all the best.

Malla

Reaction score
At least he is honest about it.

He know smore than anyone he was not worth the 800k a year salary but he took it like anyone else would have. You could tell his heart wasn't in it as soon as he put that Tigers jersey on and I think that had more to do with his form slump than injuries.