Rep snub no torment for El Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog Bruce

Bring on Rnd 1
Reaction score
Rep snub no torment for El Masri
August 26, 2009 - 1:34PM

As he reflects on an NRL career littered with highlights, Bulldogs winger Hazem El Masri is at a loss to explain why there weren't more in either a sky blue or green and gold jumper.

One Origin match and one Test for Australia is all El Masri will have to show when he walks away from the game at the end of the season, with `El Magic' to play his final home game against the Warriors at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

A finals series beckons for the red hot Bulldogs - meaning the highlights scrapbook may still have a few additions yet - but there won't be another representative jumper to add to a collection which does his 310 games at the top and record pointscoring feats little justice.

"Yeah it does, but there's a lot of quality players out there," El Masri said when asked if it bothered him that he hadn't played more Origin or Test football.

"At times I could have got a chance to play a lot more but that's the way it is.

"Finally I got a taste of it, that's the main thing ... even though it's one game, it's one game that I never had before."

In the end, the one game that he got for the Blues in game three of the 2007 series almost wasn't to be, the then 31-year-old called in just two days before the match as cover for Manly star Jamie Lyon.

The call-up came five years after he played his one and only Test for Australia against New Zealand in Wellington in 2002.

El Masri made the most of his chance in the sky blue with a try and three crucial sideline conversions helping propel the Blues to a face-saving 18-4 win.

But when it came time for selectors to pick the side for game one in 2008, El Masri's name barely rated a mention.

"It was a big buzz, I'd waited for it for so long and when I finally got the chance, I didn't want to let myself down, my people down, let my fans and everyone down," El Masri said.

"As a side we struggled last year and that probably hinders your selection chances."

When El Masri refers to `my people' he invariably refers to the Lebanese community he represents with such pride.

But in an age when NRL wingers are regularly tipping the scales at over 100kg and standing six feet tall, `my people' could also be a reference to a dying breed in the game - players not necessarily blessed with the physical attributes of a Greek god.

"Of course there is," El Masri said when asked if there was still a place in the game for the smaller player.

"You can't just have the skill and the size, you need to still have the will to make it.

"You might give something away in size but there's other guys with their speed, with their agility, with their footwork, their instinct to read the game and a couple of things with support play where size doesn't matter."
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/breaking-news-sport/rep-snub-no-torment-for-el-masri-20090826-ez5l.html

All class, Hazem! :D

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haz was unlucky during his prime to not have played more rep footy but at the same time plenty of much better players than Haz have been snubbed or short changed of rep jumpers.

That's just the way footy is. Even the great Baa and greats like Cliff Lyons didn't play that many rep games considering how good they were. And look at a guy like Scott Prince. Darren Britt also should have played more rep footy and despite playing for Aus a few times under Opes never made Origin somehow.

A guy who should have played at least some Origin during that same time was Blacklock at his peak. He'd be snubbed for guys like Moodie, Matt Geyer, Ainscough and others who he was much better than when scoring 23 tries a season for like 3 straight years.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
He def deserved a few more games back in the 01-6 period but as Ben said, heaps of other wingers also missed out. He put it best though:

"Finally I got a taste of it, that's the main thing ... even though it's one game, it's one game that I never had before."

Ryde Bulldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hazem is a champion and i say that now because my agenda was slightly different 9 months agO.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Hazem is a champion and i say that now because my agenda was slightly different 9 months agO.
:roflol:

banned :grinning:, just like pink socks should be banned if its not for a worthy cause :D

Moeyy

Lord-Bryson
Reaction score
love ya hazem, he should of got more test and origin football
but there's better wingers then him gotta admit but his still a legend
Farewall Hazem Were Gonna Miss Ya

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
one game is better than 0

most players dont even get to play 1 game.

congrates haz on a great career

RAMBO

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
that sucks how he never got more opportunities during his prime and the same goes for the General... i reckon that guy is the most deserving for a rep spot but with the likes of Hayne and the other freak fullbacks he'll never get it.... hope he does though.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haz was unlucky during his prime to not have played more rep footy but at the same time plenty of much better players than Haz have been snubbed or short changed of rep jumpers.

That's just the way footy is. Even the great Baa and greats like Cliff Lyons didn't play that many rep games considering how good they were. And look at a guy like Scott Prince. Darren Britt also should have played more rep footy and despite playing for Aus a few times under Opes never made Origin somehow.

A guy who should have played at least some Origin during that same time was Blacklock at his peak. He'd be snubbed for guys like Moodie, Matt Geyer, Ainscough and others who he was much better than when scoring 23 tries a season for like 3 straight years.
Its mystifies me why Blacklock got snubbed tbh...the guy was a tryscoring freak...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Its mystifies me why Blacklock got snubbed tbh...the guy was a tryscoring freak...
I know. I felt so sorry for him and everyone wanted to see him play at that level. I was upset he didn't. He thoroughly deserved it. It was a farce that he didn't get picked once after scoring tries left right and centre, having speed to burn, great skills great support play, creating tries out of nothing and having no flaws in his game.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
totally agree with ya Ben. The excuse they used was Nathan's *susceptibility* in defense which was a load of bull. He was solid in defense

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
totally agree with ya Ben. The excuse they used was Nathan's *susceptibility* in defense which was a load of bull. He was solid in defense
Yeah the selectors make sh*tl like that up about certain players when trying to justify why they pick certain duds over players who thoroughly deserve to be picked and have been playing well for years.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah the selectors make sh*tl like that up about certain players when trying to justify why they pick certain duds over players who thoroughly deserve to be picked and have been playing well for years.

Except Mundine. They got it right all those years with him. He was incredibly overrated imo.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Except Mundine. They got it right all those years with him. He was incredibly overrated imo.
Yeah he was. Although for one year he was pretty good and he did make Origin from memory. Still, his mouth and reputation surpassed his exploits on the field the majority of the time.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know. I felt so sorry for him and everyone wanted to see him play at that level. I was upset he didn't. He thoroughly deserved it. It was a farce that he didn't get picked once after scoring tries left right and centre, having speed to burn, great skills great support play, creating tries out of nothing and having no flaws in his game.
As much as I hate the Dragons, that was one of the biggest rorts ever. He definitely should have been selected.

What about this the week before Origin selection. Love the commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akBBofY0aNM&feature=channel_page

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As much as I hate the Dragons, that was one of the biggest rorts ever. He definitely should have been selected.

What about this the week before Origin selection. Love the commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akBBofY0aNM&feature=channel_page
Brilliant try. He did stuff like that which sent chills down your spine. Great player in his prime. Warren Smith should have been right with that comment but the Blues selectors made one of many absurd non selections.

Imagine if he had the chance to do that sort of stuff in Origin? He would have been Dale Shearer-esque.

Status
Not open for further replies.