Opinion Renters...

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It's an Investors market, they'll take advantage of the property downturn and hold onto it as long as they like. And they're most likely debt free so they wouldn't have to worry about making repayments to the banks, only thing they'll pay are the council rates and utility bills
Wouldn't it depend on how well off the investors are and how reliable the tenants are?

I've heard a couple of situations where people have had their house paid off and decided to move into another property, while renting out the one they have paid off.

In one scenario my friend started renting a place out west.
The previous tenants trashed the place.
The landlord couldn't bounce back so had to sell the property.

It put my friend in a nervous situation because he was hoping the new owners would be investors and not looking to move in?

He got lucky and the new landlord just let him stay under the previous agreement.
But it doesn’t always work out that way.

Also another friend of mine had an investment property in Melbourne.
He had tenants staying there and said they were very good.

But then he pulled the trigger recently and decided he doesn't want to pay rent for a shitty flat in Parramatta anymore, kicked the Tenants out and moved in!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Plus if the gimps at the WEF get their way, we will all own nothing and be happy about it....

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately the damage was done long ago and it's irreversible as far as i'm concerned.

The banks were happy to fork out loans to people who could barely pay the interest alone and were happy to allow them to dig themselves deeper into dept as they acquired more and more properties. They were lucky enough to have a crystal ball and cop the poor credit rating / warnings of bankruptcy etc until the houses tripled in value in a short period of time (and continue to increase at an unprecedented rate) and now they have a monopoly on others.

Now you have people who have a deposit (or trying to save for one) not being eligible for loans because guess what? they need 500k loan minimum to be able to be granted one.

The people who tried to do the right thing in the early 00s and not borrow 100% (saving for a deposit) ended up being shafted by the ones who shouldn't have been eligible for a loan in the first place (and who are now our 'owners').

I'm leasing my apartment and renting another (as it was too small for my young family) and i've accepted the fact that I won't own in NSW until I inherit half oy my parents waterview down the coast. It's sad but at least I have an inheritence. I can't imagine how stressful it is for people without anything.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you drag it out & put a free sign on it. After a week, whatever is still there goes to the dump.

You have given them a warning.

Can you ask to speak to the Real Estate Principal of the agency, not the agent.
He should document it multiple request if they don't do anything lodge a claim with tribunal cost $25 you claim that you never had full use of property deserves compensation any normally be aware between $50 to $100 per week of inconvenience.

If does throw it out it would consider damage to their personal property could be enough end the lease.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Wouldn't it depend on how well off the investors are and how reliable the tenants are?

I've heard a couple of situations where people have had their house paid off and decided to move into another property, while renting out the one they have paid off.

In one scenario my friend started renting a place out west.
The previous tenants trashed the place.
The landlord couldn't bounce back so had to sell the property.

It put my friend in a nervous situation because he was hoping the new owners would be investors and not looking to move in?

He got lucky and the new landlord just let him stay under the previous agreement.
But it doesn’t always work out that way.

Also another friend of mine had an investment property in Melbourne.
He had tenants staying there and said they were very good.

But then he pulled the trigger recently and decided he doesn't want to pay rent for a shitty flat in Parramatta anymore, kicked the Tenants out and moved in!
They're not renting it out, nor will they allow anyone to live in the property. As I have said, they're hording the property so when the value goes up in 6-12 months they will sell it at a profit.

The government's solution to housing problem is to build more houses but that's not the answer, If you go around Sydney, there's plenty of properties that are empty that can be useful and would help solve this housing crisis we have.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Even during Covid, we locked out immigration, we built more houses and apartment blocks in NSW during that time and yet we started to have housing problems in late 2021. So how did this happen?

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even during Covid, we locked out immigration, we built more houses and apartment blocks in NSW during that time and yet we started to have housing problems in late 2021. So how did this happen?
Liberals introduced an overseas buyer tax.
The catch was they had untill a certain dtre to buy before they had to pay the tax. There was a huge influx of overseas buyers before tge cutoff date. If you google you will find the statistics of it.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Liberals introduced an overseas buyer tax.
The catch was they had untill a certain dtre to buy before they had to pay the tax. There was a huge influx of overseas buyers before tge cutoff date. If you google you will find the statistics of it.
That somehow isn't stopping foreign investors from China, India and Singapore into buying property in Australia.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
They're not renting it out, nor will they allow anyone to live in the property. As I have said, they're hording the property so when the value goes up in 6-12 months they will sell it at a profit.

The government's solution to housing problem is to build more houses but that's not the answer, If you go around Sydney, there's plenty of properties that are empty that can be useful and would help solve this housing crisis we have.
have you been up Pittwater and Palm beach?
There’s shedloads of multimillion dollar homes overlooking the water which are all empty.

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Had property in Balmain and let the tenants off for months on unpaid rent cause of their sob story. After $3g unpaid checked it out, fkn yellow walls and curtains from nicotine holes in walls trash everywhere. After they were told to leave they broke all the electrical sockets so I stole their moving truck and they called the cops but nothing happened in the end. Balmain cops are hopeless for good and ill.

JimmyRustla

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What is the loser attitude about it? I don’t earn enough money to buy a house in the area I’ve lived for 42 years cause it is expensive. I don’t mind renting, it would be good to own but that’s not an option. And I have no intentions of ever leaving the area to somewhere cheaper. Beach is 2 mins down the road, work is 5 mins down the road.
What? I'm 39 and bought my first house at 22... What have you been doing?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Had property in Balmain and let the tenants off for months on unpaid rent cause of their sob story. After $3g unpaid checked it out, fkn yellow walls and curtains from nicotine holes in walls trash everywhere. After they were told to leave they broke all the electrical sockets so I stole their moving truck and they called the cops but nothing happened in the end. Balmain cops are hopeless for good and ill.
No good mate and lesson learnt. I’m extremely selective with who I rent to and at the first time of sob stories I am very wary. They turn into the next sob story which continues on to dramas and you are better off without them

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No good mate and lesson learnt. I’m extremely selective with who I rent to and at the first time of sob stories I am very wary. They turn into the next sob story which continues on to dramas and you are better off without them
My house is leased to a soldier. Defense housing is great because the ADF pays about 65% of the rent, so they're never late. This makes it easier to raise the rent. In addition all the soldiers medical expenses etc... are also covered as is their families, so they save a lot of money and because they are soldiers and well disciplined they keep the house in order.

The only catch to this however is they you cannot lock them into a contract in case they get called out to duty, and their families want to move to be somewhere closer to them.

So far though, my tenant has been in the house for 7 years, and is currently out on duty and no desire for them to move out yet either.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My house is leased to a soldier. Defense housing is great because the ADF pays about 65% of the rent, so they're never late. This makes it easier to raise the rent. In addition all the soldiers medical expenses etc... are also covered as is their families, so they save a lot of money and because they are soldiers and well disciplined they keep the house in order.

The only catch to this however is they you cannot lock them into a contract in case they get called out to duty, and their families want to move to be somewhere closer to them.

So far though, my tenant has been in the house for 7 years, and is currently out on duty and no desire for them to move out yet either.
That’s perfect and sounds like a good investment. I know a few people in defense housing and all very decent people

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I know 4/10 auctions are failing in the south west at the moment.
What about deceased estates?
Usually the siblings are left bickering and because they all want over 100k each they get greedy.

my grandparents house sold for close to 1 million back in 2008.
Was a lot of money back then but it was split 7 ways amongst my dad,uncles and aunts.
My sister and I are starting to discuss this issue. Dads healthy and well and the Biggest Dogs fan going but not getting any younger and we need a plan so there are the minimum amount of stress for everyone. My sister lives with Dad (poor Dad) with a 3 year old and he is more than happy to have them there as I reckon it keeps him young. BUT me and my sister have discussed what the layout will be (we are equal 50/50 in the will) but my sister has said she will never move from there but she can’t afford to pay me out. The house is probably worth $1.2 million but I can see so many dramas on the horizon and that’s not being greedy it’s mainly about my beloved father. He wouldn’t want conflict but I don’t think my sister is going to be reasonable.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My sister and I are starting to discuss this issue. Dads healthy and well and the Biggest Dogs fan going but not getting any younger and we need a plan so there are the minimum amount of stress for everyone. My sister lives with Dad (poor Dad) with a 3 year old and he is more than happy to have them there as I reckon it keeps him young. BUT me and my sister have discussed what the layout will be (we are equal 50/50 in the will) but my sister has said she will never move from there but she can’t afford to pay me out. The house is probably worth $1.2 million but I can see so many dramas on the horizon and that’s not being greedy it’s mainly about my beloved father. He wouldn’t want conflict but I don’t think my sister is going to be reasonable.
Sorry to hear mate. Does she pay your dad rent (and can pay you rent)?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
When the day finally comes.
Your sister is going to pull a stunt.
I hope I am wrong but it's happened before.

I know you're not greedy but money changes people.
I'm in a similar boat.
I need to pull my sister aside and grab her by the jugular and ask for her reassurance she will do the right thing when the unfortunate day comes!

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Sorry to hear mate. Does she pay your dad rent (and can pay you rent)?
Cheers it’s going to be a shit fight. No she doesn’t pay rent and would not be able to pay me rent.