Reni Maitua Charges Overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

atomic_crimson

Let me play footy: Maitua
By PETER BADEL
December 12, 2004
BULLDOGS premiership-winning forward Reni Maitua has revealed the emotional trauma of his brush with the law after being acquitted of brutally kicking and punching an off-duty police officer unconscious.

Emotional trauma: Reni Maitua
In August, Maitua was found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following a wild brawl two years ago.

While the offence carried a maximum seven years jail, Maitua was fined $2000.

But on Wednesday, Maitua had both charges overturned in the District Court on appeal – clearing him of any involvement in the attack on Constable Tim Allen.

"The defence cost me a great deal of money and stress but, more importantly, my mother and father have also suffered a great deal," Maitua said via a statement last night.

"I was charged with a number of offences after a clash between young partygoers and young off-duty police officers at a Sydney club in 2002. Both groups had been drinking.

"I did not commit the offences I was charged with. I have defended the charges at the Local Court and in the District Court on appeal. I have been acquitted.

"I could not have survived this experience without the support of the Bulldogs, my family and friends and my solicitor, Mr (Clive) Jeffreys.

"I am particularly grateful to the NSW justice system which provided me with the opportunity to establish my innocence.

"I now want to concentrate on my football career without any further distractions."

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said the club was thrilled with the decision.

"This has been a very emotional, personal matter for Reni and we are just glad it is all over," Noad said.

"It has been a very difficult time for Reni. He had this matter on his mind for months.

"But we always had faith in what he told us and that it was the absolute truth."

Maitua had been charged with bashing Constable Allen during a fight at Coogee-Randwick RSL Club on December 22, 2002.

The 22-year-old was among 150 members and friends of notorious surfing gang the "Bra Boys", who were celebrating a 21st birthday when Constable Allen was dragged from a lift.

The melee broke out shortly after 1am as revellers clashed with up to 100 Waverley police leaving a Christmas party on the second floor.

Constable Allen suffered a twice-broken nose and a large cut under his eye.

The Police Association slammed the decision to fine Maitua $2000 as a "disgrace".

But on appeal, District Court Chief Judge Justice Blanch quashed the charges against Maitua based on conflicting evidence.

It is understood a key factor in Maitua's acquittal was a witness claim that Constable Allen's attacker was 6ft 4in (193cm) in height. Maitua stands 5ft 11in (180cm).

Maitua played a key role in the Bulldogs' premiership win last season. The back-rower played 25 games and claimed a premiership ring in his rookie season in the NRL.

www.sundaytelegraph.com.au

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
That is awesome. Reni is a true battler and it is great to see this cleared up. Keep working hard Reni and more good things will come to you.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
WAS THAT **** ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE TELECRAP\??????

**** I DONT THINK SO

good work getting off the charges

Baby Dogg

|xx| Mzlebsta |xx|
Reaction score
Reni Reni he's our man if he cant do it no one can GOOOOOOO RENI

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
that is pathetic reallly pathetic i mean what if he went to jail for 7 yrs when he was innocent .yeah good he got of but its too late he has already had hes named dragged though the dirt and hes family has had to go though all that for nothing when he was innocent. They shouldnt publish this stuff unless they are 100% sure that hes commited the crime media really do annoy me

Number13

Management
Reaction score
No one can argue with the District Court's assessment of the case. Clearly, Reni has been vindicated. Good luck with your future endeavours.

spannaforce

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
congrats Reni..just move on and concentrate on your future and your career with the Dogs...u will go a long way mate.

K

K E

atomic_crimson said:
Maitua had been charged with bashing Constable Allen during a fight at Coogee-Randwick RSL Club on December 22, 2002.
Wasnt he off duty at the time?

So technically he bashed a civillian who's occupation is a Constable.

HUGE difference in my opinion.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
K E said:
Wasnt he off duty at the time?

So technically he bashed a civillian who's occupation is a Constable.

HUGE difference in my opinion.

No way. Once you are a Cop you are always a Cop. And they should be recognised. If they put themselves on the line they deserve some rights and protection!

Bulldogs Babe

Reaction score
I was so relieved when i read that! Reni had an awesome year this year and he doesnt deserve any of that crap! good luck to ya champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.