Relax - The Stats Tell The Story

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Remove fumbles okunbor and those stats should improve dramatically
How so? Okunbour didnt make any mistakes with ball in hand last night. People just use him as an easy target. Last week was different, but last night he wasn't the one making all of the ball handling errors.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People base way to much on trial form. Last year we beat Cronulla. All of a sudden Flanno was the prodigy. Deitz was our rockstar hooker. And we were destined for the 8.

This season we got beat by the Sharks who a lot of people are tipping top 6, smokies for top 4. Now it’s all sack Barrett, sack TPJ, sack Okunbor. FFS get a grip.
Couldn't have said it better.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Watch the Storm pre-season vid and see a well run club, we need the right staff to get a grip on this roster.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have the talent there to win some games but with the discipline (with and without the ball) and defence (soft tries let in) that was on show last night we'll be close to the wooden spoon again. 1 game sample size to go off (worrying signs in the first trial too, but no left edge so I'll pretend that doesn't count) but one thing I've learnt watching this club/team over the last few years is until they show me otherwise through their actions I'm not expecting anything drastic to change. I don't think you can flick a switch and your discipline and defence is fixed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He is there for one reason only: YARDAGE the only big body in the backline who has potential to get our sets rolling.
It doesn't outweigh his weaknesses. I don't think he can be there round 1 and if he does he'll be targeted every week by opposition teams (and fans).

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It doesn't outweigh his weaknesses. I don't think he can be there round 1 and if he does he'll be targeted every week by opposition teams (and fans).
This will be a huge issue for us unless we recruit another quality winger. JAC doesn’t make big metres, Dufty is a midget and the other options are too small or slow. I can see why Baz has persisted with Okunbor until now but it’s not going to work.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How so? Okunbour didnt make any mistakes with ball in hand last night. People just use him as an easy target. Last week was different, but last night he wasn't the one making all of the ball handling errors.
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787].
Ok, if you don't count his first 6 errors then he had no errors

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We do not have the team to be a top 8'r.

We have no NRL quality backrowers and rubbish outside backs besides Naden and JAC.

The only thing we have is one of best front row rotations but we cant use it because Tbag is playing them on an edge and a rookie superstar who gets slow ball.
Fuck me you must be great fun at parties...........

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787].
Ok, if you don't count his first 6 errors then he had no errors
I’m not a fan of Okunbor, in fact I hope he isn’t picked at all, but at the same time Flambouyant has a point.

I can’t recall Okunbor having any errors with ball in hand this game against sharks.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
- starts from the top !!
- player attitudes/discipline
- combinations
- CORRECT positions
- pride for the jersey

all easy stuff to fix up with little tweaking. we have the team to be a top 8 side. It’s that simple.
Yeah bro, I agree. The little tweaks we make will make us a competitive side.

- find Averillo’s position. Develop him in NSW cup or bench utility. The similarities to Mbye are evident.
- TPJ is a prop, move Jackson to the edge.
- stop playing JMK and use BBO/Cook a stopgap.
- drop Okunbor, the experiment is over. He is a liability in defence and makes too many mistakes.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I mean, objectively it makes sense. We’ve got a new FB, Winger, Centre, Schoupp and Okunbor moved to the other edge, new 5/8th, Averillo is still developing, Vaughn is new, Thompson is always suspended, JMK was injured, TPJ is new, Hetherington is playing on an edge, Jackson is back at lock.

We’ve had a huge amount of roster turnover, half the spine is new, players are being played out of position (TPJ and Hetherington should be middles), and only 1 trial game to try and make it work due to All Stars/ Covid made Burton miss the first trial. Throw in Averillo failing to trap the kick off in the first game and a near 70/30 possession in the first half for Newcastle and the team hasn’t had any real chance to build combinations.

We knew from the draw our first two months are hell. If we can’t beat the Cowboys and Broncos to start we could be staring down the barrel of an 0-7 start and all the pressure on Gus and Baz.