Referee's .... What's doing ???

Should Robert Finch

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why work toward Gould and Politis' agendas?? Robert Finch wasnt responsible for the sin bins today and he wasnt responsible for the Idris no try last year... THE REFS WERE SO SACK THEM
The only agenda Gould has here is not seeing the game ruined by these refs every week. Finch and Harrigan are responsible for these sin binnings and every other terrible interpretation because they're the ones in charge who get paid to instruct these refs to act so poorly. It really isn't the refs fault too much, it is all Finch's and Harrigan's fault and Gallops fault for not pulling those two into line.

The fact that these problems have gone on for so long and the same people are in charge not changing a thing is absurd.

lol @ people now on the sack Robert Finch bandwagon, just cause Phil Gould wants him gone.

Btrain and I have wanted him ousted for years :D
You know it Moeseph.

I even wrote an article on RLeague about it last year remember?

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=33791

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Robert Finch has changed nearly half the rules in his time as boss. All these rules he has brought in are to make the refs jobs easier and most all benefit the attacking team.

Worst one is the 10m advantage rule. For 100 years of footy the rule has been 5m advantage, or if the ref has deemed that the attacking team has taken their advantage by trying to advance the ball.

So basically the refs used to use common sense and discretion. But Robert Finch wanted to take the pressure off of his referees, and made it a "black & white" ruling, so basically the refs can’t stuff up.

He brought in the rule where you don't need any control over the ball to ground it.

Teams can longer make metres in defence. If a player is being driven back it's held straight away. But if the player being tackled is still making metres forward it's play on. How is that fair?

He brought in the dominant/surrender BS, which has subsequently led to wrestling.

Another BS side-effect of this is; if you are "dominated" you have no right to a quick play the ball. So if you get up quickly on 2 feet to play it then get pushed over, the guy playing the ball gets penalised....wtf?

So many more I could point out…… In the end all we get is a whole lot of frustration.

doctr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was so embarrasing. As a fan watching the game it was shocking, and I saw better refereeing watching my brother play Under 15's.

Ben Cummins has been on a downward spiral in quality since the Souths Roosters game when he sent Braith Anasta off for defending himself and only sin binned Fa'alogo for a king hit. No wonder he got a ball thrown at his head at CUA. He is an idiot!

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Refs have been appalling for waaaayyy too long!
Their "interpretation" of the rules is what is often the problem, throw into that that there is variance between how different refs interpret the same rules week to week and you have the circus we see week to week.

As an example of a refs interpretation of the rules take Billy Harrigan...widely regarded by many as the best modern day ref... The Bulldogs had a win rate of 25-30% when he ref'd us compared with 55%+ when other refs had us....why? Because he interpreted the rules differently to the other refs who had us, and
a)we obviously couldn't/woudn't adjust or
b)he was just a **** !
anyone who saw the 03 GF qualifyer would suggest the latter !

I say that not to have a Harrigan sook, but to point out that it's the interpetation of the rules that is often the problem, and in trying to make them "easier to interpret" Finch has created some stupid rules, which makes the refs look even more stupid than normal.

They should watch how they ref in SOO matches and apply the same "interpretations" of the rules , rather than looking for things to nit pick on to prove that you've met your KPIs to your boss....FFS, their KPI should be "did we let the teams sort out who was the best side on the day?" if so tick, if not Pharkoff.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
i was at the game and what was worse was the souths supporters behind me said they both should ahve been sent off :roflol:

it was as bad as friday night when the tigers supporters behind me were having a conversation:
Guy 1: "is greg eastwood hurt or did he go overseas?"
guy 2: "he must be hurt as he isn't playing"
guy 1: "that must be it"

bahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They should watch how they ref in SOO matches and apply the same "interpretations" of the rules , rather than looking for things to nit pick on to prove that you've met your KPIs to your boss....FFS, their KPI should be "did we let the teams sort out who was the best side on the day?" if so tick, if not Pharkoff.
Exactly! It's an insult to players, teams, coaches, clubs, fans and the media to not treat every game the same with rulings. Everyone loves the way SOO is officiated. They officiate it this way because it's the best game with the best players on the biggest stage with the most people watching.

So why insult everyone by assuming that every club game can't reach a good standard when refereeing the game the way they do at club level? Why even f**k around with all of the other stuff when you can just let the best team on the day win and not rely on which referee f**ked over the other team the least?

It's a massive slap in the face to everyone to have certain rules for Origin and the mess they have at club level. Those games at club level never stand the chance of being as good as they can be because the refs and refs bosses don't let them. And therefore people won't go to games or tune in as much when they know they're in for the farce they're in for.

Yet while Origin is hyped, does have the best players and is an event, it's also tough, no holds barred, uncomprimising and generally a pure battle with no picky rules and penalties ruining the game. If they took the same approach for every club game the code and everyone's state of mind would benefit immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.