Referee aids

Status
Not open for further replies.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
There are alot of great technological aids out there that would eliminate referee errors and could pave the way back to one ref.

I know nobody wants to be seen to be blaming the refs but it is the elephant in the room and there does not seem to be a plan in place for a better model.

Two things I would implement first is a forward pass/knock on technology and offside technology, so it tracks the players in relation to where the ref is standing. In regards to the latter, it would be hard to ping players for jumping early but atleast they would be accountable for getting back.

Its just a shame that the basics are not ruled on correctly but they continue to nit pick on marginal calls. I get that the speed of the game blah blah blah but it's so frustrating for teams and fans alike and officialdom just buries their heads in the sand year after year.

Any others with some ideas on possible ways we could take the pressure off referees with technology? Hot spot anyone?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
No way. I'd hate for the game to become a police state.

I'd be ok with that NFL Technology they have which puts lines along the ground to rule on forward passes. But working out how it would be used would be interesting.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't get me started on refs, either the NRL has asked them to deliberately keep results close for sheer theatre and entertainment or the betting agencies are influencing some of their decisions. When we were up convincingly both times against the Raiders and the Sharks, we could not buy a penalty in those second halves... That's a red flag in my opinion.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They should have 4 linesman. 2 on each side. each controls one half. Let them make more calls on forward passes.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In relation to the title...glasses may be a good start.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Introducing the football field study of velocimetry; schnickometer of the oval ball game.

~c.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why would they make it harder for themselves to rort games?

The betting agencies will never let it happen.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Actually we have too many aids already to help the betting partners.

The players already have GPS units on them for the coaches to track... why not just use that and tap into it from the Bunker.

In addition to that, stick an RFID patch internally in the ball, and it can be tracked based on that (maybe).

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was actually hoping there were a couple of refs with AIDs

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder if we'll see a point where the bunker gets more power then the on field refs, or simply uses the on field refs to communicate to players. Could easily monitor things like offside and forward passing through computer generated aid

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me started on refs, either the NRL has asked them to deliberately keep results close for sheer theatre and entertainment or the betting agencies are influencing some of their decisions. When we were up convincingly both times against the Raiders and the Sharks, we could not buy a penalty in those second halves... That's a red flag in my opinion.
DOW thanks. Look how many of us are against the alignment of the game with gambling money.
Just looking at the 'sample' in the kennel threads, even this thread - we are losing faith in our beloved game.
gambling shoved up our a...s thanks to sponsorship decisions by the nrl.

The nrl actually invited gambling into the sport. OMG.
Now want to 'look tough' saying rorters will be banned for life.
Bullshit, the people saying that are the ones that amplified the problem.

Imagine being a ref in the modern game.
Imagine trying to do your job with some arse on CCTV blurting in your ear and overturning your decisions.
Yes refs get it wrong sometimes,
but so does the $2m bunker (huge ego trip in my view) - so now we have the same human mistakes at a higher cost.
They miss forward passes.
Adjudicate on close line calls where obviously they cannot see, but justify their existence by over-ruling.
Missed the knock on in the Canberra game that gave Canberra the lead.

Sorry guys, too much coffee. Lol.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DOW thanks. Look how many of us are against the alignment of the game with gambling money.
Just looking at the 'sample' in the kennel threads, even this thread - we are losing faith in our beloved game.
gambling shoved up our a...s thanks to sponsorship decisions by the nrl.

The nrl actually invited gambling into the sport. OMG.
Now want to 'look tough' saying rorters will be banned for life.
Bullshit, the people saying that are the ones that amplified the problem.

Imagine being a ref in the modern game.
Imagine trying to do your job with some arse on CCTV blurting in your ear and overturning your decisions.
Yes refs get it wrong sometimes,
but so does the $2m bunker (huge ego trip in my view) - so now we have the same human mistakes at a higher cost.
They miss forward passes.
Adjudicate on close line calls where obviously they cannot see, but justify their existence by over-ruling.
Missed the knock on in the Canberra game that gave Canberra the lead.

Sorry guys, too much coffee. Lol.

No need to be sorry, what you say makes too much sense.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
another waste of time and money is those cameras glued to their heads. seriously, what purpose do they serve? theyve never ever been used to help make a call either on the field or off it. and if it was introduced for the punters at home's viewing pleasure, then its definitely not doing that, coz they only show about 3 secs of it in a game. its pointless imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.