Rumour Reed Mahoney Done Deal

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think we need to change our offer at all

The extra year should seal it
Get it done Gus
That’s right. Our offer is already superior, both in terms of cash and length.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So Eels currently at 3 years 500k a year and we're at 4 years 600k a year. If we go to 650k or even 700k he's probably ours? A decent amount more money + the extra year. I really believe we can't miss out on Smith (looks like we've shown little interest) and Mahoney. A lot of people on the Eels forum wouldn't pay 600k for Mahoney and I find that quite bizarre, especially with where the hooker market is currently.
Because he has only had one real good season and has suffered multiple injuries to his shoulder already. There's plenty of risk in a long-term, big money deal.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All those saying we have to up or offer fro
Reed by 150k have to reign in their expectations a little . We can’t just offer stupid money . Reed is a good player and a
Massive upgrade on what we have, but if we spend 750k on him it means we have less money to offer other players in the long run. Burton will require an upgrade to be kept long term. We also have some good juniors coming through that we will need to invest cap money into retaining . So just calm down peeps. Paying overs for players such as Woods and Foran is what got us into trouble a few years ago. I personally think 550 is where Reed is valued at present

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All those saying we have to up or offer fro
Reed by 150k have to reign in their expectations a little . We can’t just offer stupid money . Reed is a good player and a
Massive upgrade on what we have, but if we spend 750k on him it means we have less money to offer other players in the long run. Burton will require an upgrade to be kept long term. We also have some good juniors coming through that we will need to invest cap money into retaining . So just calm down peeps. Paying overs for players such as Woods and Foran is what got us into trouble a few years ago. I personally think 550 is where Reed is valued at present
Yup, stick with the offer made, and the reasons it was made. Along with the points you made, If we start upping the offer because we are afraid he wont take it we send a very poor message. We want players who want to be here, and part of establishing that relationship is to be up front and keep your word. Players who are going to play the market in a bid to get clubs to keep upping their offers are not going to be at the club for enough of the right reasons. Not saying that it isn't their right to get the best deal they can, it is their right, but if we know we've offered a good deal, we should stick to it. If we lose out on a player because some other club decided to up their offer, then they probably aren't the kind of player who is going to really get stuck in for the team and the badge anyway, so no loss.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
LETS GOOOOO

PUSHING FOR TOP 4 IN 2023 WOOOO

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think he will be coming early, under the current system of players getting signed before the final season of their current contract has even been signed, the trend has been for players to see out their contract, with few exceptions.

It puts pressure on JMK to really perform this season in order to prove his worth and potentially win a contract elsewhere.

Malla

Reaction score
Only way we get him early is via a player trade ie Cotric or even Thompson might be an option for them given the forwards they’ve now lost.

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If the signing is legit..then the chinese food at the leagues must be pretty bloody good. And to the eels, this is part payback for the theft of pay, mc craken and dymock, So stop the whinging

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The stars are aligning for that 2024 premiership