Social Media Reece Walsh signs with Brisbane, CNK to Warriors

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so bit more info
Peter O’Sullivan works for Dolphins and he was instrumental in getting Walsh across to Warriors to begin with. Warriors sense a bit of dubiousness with the release request as they think he will go to dolphins and follow Sullivan and have now said they will block the release if it isn’t to the Broncos. Sounds like media bullshit created by Walsh’s manager that he was going to Broncos to begin with and he was going to do a dodgy and sign with the dolphins. This is a player who was caught on the rack earlier this year. Why do teams bend over backwards for these type of dick heads
Becuase he's a gun. There are 2 sets of rules in the NRL (and life). If he was a meh player nobody would look at him but beause he's a gun, they're willing to give him a million chances.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently has broken up with his missus. If he stayed in NZ wouldn’t of been able to see his kid. Probably a good move by the Warriors to be fair. He’s already been busted on the coke when in a relationship, imagine if he couldn’t see his daughter, probably saved the kids career.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The warriors have also stated that they have signed a coach and will announce it later this week. It’s so dumb that Gus has not signed a coach yet. He will probably wait until Burton signs with the Roosters. Shane Flanngan is a premiership winning coach, I don’t understand why his not on top of the list.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
From the Daily Telegraph;

It can be revealed the Broncos will sever ties with as many as six top-liners to fund the purchase of Walsh, whose Brisbane contract will not be as expensive as widely anticipated.

Veteran Broncos duo Ryan James ($180,000) and David Mead ($120,000) are set to retire at season’s end, instantly freeing up $300,000.

Off-contract hooker Jake Turpin, on $300,000 this season, has been granted a release to leave, while Brenko Lee ($200,000) and Rhys Kennedy ($150,000) will link with the Dolphins and Hull KR respectively next season.

Kiwi Test winger Jamayne Isaako was released to the Titans two months ago, clearing another $200,000 under the salary cap, while Te Maire Martin ($60,000), Albert Kelly ($80,000) and Corey Oates ($500,000) remain off-contract.

So disregarding the 3 players in the last paragraph yet to be re-signed, that leaves 1.15 million freed up. Add in the 5 players they'd need to sign on minimum contracts = 600k. Plus Walsh at 550k.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looks like we aren't buying a new fullback for 23 or 24. We need to throw whatever we have (however much that is) at improving our 7 including playing Burton there and signing Munster to play 6. I really see that signing as the most important we could make and the thing that would improve us the most. Then if we have anything left sign a decent prop then winger. Kiraz needs to play centre.
Averillo is doing ok so far.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't Cobbo recently re-signed by the Donkeys to play fullback and upgraded to fullback money?

Always a Bulldog

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but it's not their fault. The NRL should be doing more for them. Covid raped them up the ass they have not been able to develop their own players in 2.5 years, they have been away from home, they've made some signings while in Aus but as we now see those players don't want to live in NZ. It's pretty poor form from the NRL to just leave the Warriors be like this.

You would have expected some sort of support in helping them with rebuilding their junior base in NZ. I don't even think their reserves have been playing regular footy in 2 years either.

As far as Reece Walsh goes, he has huge potential, but I am surprised he went to Broncos. Would have thought Dolphins would be his pick.

Surely Broncos are a few mil above the cap now? Signed Cobbo, Staggs on big money, Reynolds on big money. Farmsworth just resigned I am pretty sure and so has Oates. Haas still on the books, Carrigan worth a bit more now. Fuck their squad is awesome. They go close too grand final next year.
I agree the nrl should help them more, it's the home grown talent they need to be keeping, living in aus for the last 2 years due to covid has definitely crippled them, im not surprised half of them don't wanna go back.
Also I still have a feeling haas will leave soon.

Malla

Reaction score
I agree the nrl should help them more, it's the home grown talent they need to be keeping, living in aus for the last 2 years due to covid has definitely crippled them, im not surprised half of them don't wanna go back.
Also I still have a feeling haas will leave soon.
Can't blame the players though. At the time they signed on they would not have known when going back to NZ would happen and a lot of those players were not getting deals elsewhere. Reece Walsh only signed with Warriors because of his relationship with O'Sullivan, as soon as he left you knew that Walsh would follow plus he was never going to play in NZ full time.
Yeah whats the bet Haas ends up at Roosters

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What I don’t understand is why they haven’t been more successful in recruiting guys from Union. The NRL pays far better and there’s only about 30 or so spots for the All Blacks anyway. Why not try and recruit guys who are happy to actually live in NZ?
i appreciate NRL is a full time "job" these days, and players will often just go where the money is, especially when it comes to changing between Sydney clubs. But things are different with some of the regional/out of Sydney/Brisbane teams.

The only way the Warriors are going to be competitive (or win a premiership) is when kids growing up in NZ have a desire to play for "their team". There will always be a struggle to attract Australian players to move to NZ. i think Newcastle really struggle with that nowadays, whereas in the past, the great Newcastle sides were led by locals, who were playing for their region (and are happy to keep living there as well). Canberra was only competitive when it was spending a fortune on imports from overseas and interstate and it almost sent them broke.

Should more be done by the NRL in this regard? (a question for which i don't have an answer)

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason I thought Reece was from NZ. Seems I was wrong.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a related note, is there enough being done to teach these boys about contraception and taking a bit more responsibility for the countless number of young girls falling pregnant to these young League players!!

The responsibility for being a parent is immense and the maturity level of these boy doesn't match their 6 figure pay packets.

Relationship breakdown is tough enough without children being involved - a lot to deal with when you are very young adult

A headline like "Reece Walsh is 18 years old with bumfluff masquerading as a moustache, a $1 million-plus contract, a six-week-old daughter, and an eight-game-a-week footy addiction" is hardly conducive to carving out an NRL career especially when the relationship with the 18 mother breaks down!!

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reece Walsh only signed with Warriors because of his relationship with O'Sullivan, as soon as he left you knew that Walsh would follow plus he was never going to play in NZ full time.
So him splitting with the mother of his child, who now lives in Brisbane had nothing to do with it.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but it's not their fault. The NRL should be doing more for them. Covid raped them up the ass they have not been able to develop their own players in 2.5 years, they have been away from home, they've made some signings while in Aus but as we now see those players don't want to live in NZ. It's pretty poor form from the NRL to just leave the Warriors be like this.

You would have expected some sort of support in helping them with rebuilding their junior base in NZ. I don't even think their reserves have been playing regular footy in 2 years either.

As far as Reece Walsh goes, he has huge potential, but I am surprised he went to Broncos. Would have thought Dolphins would be his pick.

Surely Broncos are a few mil above the cap now? Signed Cobbo, Staggs on big money, Reynolds on big money. Farmsworth just resigned I am pretty sure and so has Oates. Haas still on the books, Carrigan worth a bit more now. Fuck their squad is awesome. They go close too grand final next year.
Back to the good old days of Brisbane having no cap it seems... thoroughbreds must be back in town, or maybe Andrew Gee is back in the front office