Recruitment

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly I think old mate Hasler traded Shaun Lane for him .. I was spewing at the time because I was sprouting off to my family, who are all Manly supporters, about what a real talent Lane was .. not the sharpest tool in the shed, but powerful hard runner, big tackle breaking aggressive type that was hard to stop .. meanwhile Lane eventually ended up at Manly one of my my most hated teams and was carving up, and RFM spent years out injured ..

Time keeps proving Lane to be the better more talented player .. I know there’s others, but Lane Cookie and Finucane are 3 players that I’m still filthy with Hasler for letting go .. and all 3 are still playing and carving up …. that Hasler has a lot to answer for …

Like you I’m loving Preston, and Morrin can be a gun for us at 13 if they pick and stick with him and give him the required coaching ..

We’ll get back there mate … hang in .. I trust Gould & Ciraldo .. just takes time to weed out these previous over paid bad buys and put that money where it will help us most ..
Well said mate! Upward and onward!!

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eddie Blacker and Hame Sele. Big hard and damaging props.

Blacker was the only shining light against us in NSW cup and is 23 years old. He's in his prime and already been developed.

Hame Sele would be a big signing. Miles better than Ryan Sutton, Corey Waddell and Luke Thompson the soft cocks.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not taking credit for suggestion of Lindsay Smith, but he is a must. Along with big Tommy Hazleton.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching Blacker from Penrith - unless the ball in play is within arms reach he isnt doing much - might just another big man - lhard to tackle but just not busy enough to go the next step.

Thought he might be an option based on highlights but iv changed my mind

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Blacker was very good against the dogs n based on the onfield talk was heavily targeted by the dogs but still played well. Iv seen Wong play a few times - played well every time especially one one defence Nafahu Whyte has also been consistently good for roosters - wong n whyte n blacker - connection n culture
Well we’ve been doing our recruitment all Wong, it’s time we get it Whyte…

Nothing like a bad pun with a splash of casual racism thrown in for good measure! I should easily get a job as a sub editor at the Telegraph!

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well we’ve been doing our recruitment all Wong, it’s time we get it Whyte…

Nothing like a bad pun with a splash of casual racism thrown in for good measure! I should easily get a job as a sub editor at the Telegraph!
OMG, I’m in fucking stitches. That was hella funny!

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far for 24 we have signed 2 x centres Crichton and Xerri.
For what it is worth not replaced our starting half and front rower from the past couple of years, flanagan and Thompson, two areas we are poor in and have not addressed.
Most of our players have gone backwards this year with the exception of Preston.
Hopefully Wilson, Papi and KO continue their development and having Kiks back on deck will help but other than that not sure where our improvement is coming from next year. Have still not addressed our biggest weaknesses spine and middles.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get the Averillo release either, hopefully it’s just that we’re not seeing the bigger picture yet, also I haven’t seen any comments on what Averillo was earning, how much does him moving on free up?

We’re not as far off as some think …. If the club could of some how used Flanagan, Thompsons, and a few others money to greatly bolster our engine room and then ran with a spine of Mahoney 9, Averillo 6, Burton 7, Crichton 1 and bought in an elite half’s coach … I think we’d win more than we’d lose ..

But again, hopefully there’s some surprises that unfold which explains whatever it is we are missing ..
FYI, Averillo has not been released - he is was off contract at the end of this playing season 2023 and therefore free to negotiate with anyone who may acquire his services.

I guess the Dolphins offered him more than we did.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems the club is taking a gamble on Xerri panning out. Wouldn’t make sense to have averillo, xerri and alamoti all on decent contracts next year when one is likely to be in reserves.
Averillo and Alomoti were both long odds to be retained beyond this year based on other signings.

Our poor recruitment and roster management over the last several years. Has seen one of our biggest problems (squad balance) create huge problems. The spread out balance of every position across the top 30 is the key to success. For years we have had this balance out of whack. With the outside backs already signed for 2024 would make it irresponsible to sign the likes of Averillo or Alomoti on anything more than minimum wage. Which isn’t fair to them either. So they must be moved on.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
mr turbo you are correct, I’m only pointing out the fact we used to do business so well even before Gus in the years of 2009-2016. Now it’s like we want to be numbers in the competition. All of us fans are very very passionate because we don’t see consistency in every season we have. If we had some sort of consistency each year we wouldn’t be as deflated and frustrated.

the club has been poorly forgotten about what it takes to win or even be in the top 8. That’s what kill us. None of us are running to streets of belmore to praise the team for their wins or even be happy about how our season has panned out year and year. I’m very surprised we have seen a member base of 20,000 members. Especially with how we have gone.
You need to watch our Ron Massey Cup, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup teams, they haven't forgotten how to win, they do it most weekends. There is no one that I have spoken to at our club that isn't aiming for the ultimate prize. What they realise (and tell us at every opportunity) is that it will take time and to remember that we are rebuilding upwards from a very poor base. No quick fixes, we are targeting long term sustained success.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FYI, Averillo has not been released - he is was off contract at the end of this playing season 2023 and therefore free to negotiate with anyone who may acquire his services.
I guess the Dolphins offered him more than we did.
The Dolphins absolutely offered him more than we could afford and, more to the point, were willing to pay.

Always a Bulldog

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The salary cap is an absolute joke, 95% needs to be spent on this poor quality roster! WTF!!!

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we aren’t going to sign an experienced halfback we won’t be winning a comp next 5 years

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
You need to watch our Ron Massey Cup, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup teams, they haven't forgotten how to win, they do it most weekends. There is no one that I have spoken to at our club that isn't aiming for the ultimate prize. What they realise (and tell us at every opportunity) is that it will take time and to remember that we are rebuilding upwards from a very poor base. No quick fixes, we are targeting long term sustained success.

Always a Bulldog
Our Ron Massey Cup team certainly doesn't "win most weeks". They've only won 1 game all year.

TeamPWLDBFA+/-Pts

Total
1. St Marys111100232015017026
2. Glebe Dirty Reds1073022602362418
3. Ryde-Eastwood Hawks1174012761809616
4. Wentworthville Magpies1174012541946016
5. Kaiviti Silktails1266012852632214
6. Hills Bulls104602230254-2412
7. Mounties123901234288-548
8. Penrith Brothers113801185275-908
9. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs101902170374-2046

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks likely we are playing the long game for finding a half back and developing from within. From what I’ve seen of BBO be surprised if he is the answer and would say the same for Hayward. Reports our great white hope Woods has chosen AFL.
Leaves Rajab, O’Neill, Glover ??? go well lads.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Looks likely we are playing the long game for finding a half back and developing from within. From what I’ve seen of BBO be surprised if he is the answer and would say the same for Hayward. Reports our great white hope Woods has chosen AFL.
Leaves Rajab, O’Neill, Glover ??? go well lads.
We could get by with any of them IF Burto stepped up as our 5/8 and we got 2 alpha frontrowers and Teig Wilson for bench and hopefully Critta works out at F/B.