Recruitment

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From players we know are available in the NRL, I’d be chasing the below signatures. Interesting to see the list of other fans to gauge interest and varying views. Be open minded for this one folks.

Shaun Johnson (organiser, experience, leadership - the whole package)
Hame Sele
Tariq Sims (for experience)
Marty Taupau (experience)
Eddie Blacker
Jamayne Taumua-Brown
Poasa Faamausili
Blake Taaffe
Daine Laurie

I think we land 2-3 out of that lot… be interesting to see who Gus ends up going for. My guess is he’s targeting the following year for major recruitment. If we can’t get a recognised experienced 7, I’d be happy with 3 middles and one of Taaffe or Laurie.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Johnson (can't see him leaving Warrior unless he receives stupid contract) and Sele as bench/depth (but will be too expensive, for that role) only 2 worth having a look at from that list. It's too late to sign off contract players now, nothing left. Until we get a quality experienced half and marquee middle we're going to suck.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whats actually going on?

Avo gone (not that hes on much)
Thomos gone.
Few others might not be re-signed.
Gus is really hammering the juniors line. Fact is youngsters are a few years off. Just because we are seeing good signs from our juniors doesnt mean they will make the transition to quality first grade NRL players. When was the last time 1 did? We are expected to simply have faith in the process of development. We havent seen anything yet in this regard. I understand Gus is building a production line but theres also this thing called the NRL primary focus being 1st grade.
What guarantee do we have that we are going to develop a rockstar FB or HB?
Sais he needs to balance cap ie wouldnt pay overs for Avo fair enough.
Sais not much quality to purchase for the near future, what does that tell us?
My understanding is you have to spend 95% of cap.

All we do is wait and hope. When do we expect to see quality spine players in our first grade team?

Couple of years ago it was "2023 should be motoring and 2024 we have cash to splash should be challenging for top 4 spot"
Words are just words. I look at actions and experiences, they are truths. For example what happened to the war chess we were sold a couple of years ago? It just up and vanished and no-one ever spoke of it again. This club hasnt fielded a gun 1 or 7 in how many years?
I look at the Broncos who I hate and Im fuckin jealous of how they turned shit around.

Looking at previous experiences, I have a strong feeling we are going to have another medicore year next year.

but yeah, Ill just have to 'relax'.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whats actually going on?

Avo gone (not that hes on much)
Thomos gone.
Few others might not be re-signed.
Gus is really hammering the juniors line. Fact is youngsters are a few years off. Just because we are seeing good signs from our juniors doesnt mean they will make the transition to quality first grade NRL players. When was the last time 1 did? We are expected to simply have faith in the process of development. We havent seen anything yet in this regard. I understand Gus is building a production line but theres also this thing called the NRL primary focus being 1st grade.
What guarantee do we have that we are going to develop a rockstar FB or HB?
Sais he needs to balance cap ie wouldnt pay overs for Avo fair enough.
Sais not much quality to purchase for the near future, what does that tell us?
My understanding is you have to spend 95% of cap.

All we do is wait and hope. When do we expect to see quality spine players in our first grade team?

Couple of years ago it was "2023 should be motoring and 2024 we have cash to splash should be challenging for top 4 spot"
Words are just words. I look at actions and experiences, they are truths. For example what happened to the war chess we were sold a couple of years ago? It just up and vanished and no-one ever spoke of it again. This club hasnt fielded a gun 1 or 7 in how many years?
I look at the Broncos who I hate and Im fuckin jealous of how they turned shit around.

Looking at previous experiences, I have a strong feeling we are going to have another medicore year next year.

but yeah, Ill just have to 'relax'.
Last time was around 2000’s when Shifty, Mason, Renee, Asotasi, Thurston, Anasta, Utai, Harris, Perry and Co. we’re coming through… hopefully a repeat but the difference is those forwards and players were far more NRL ready than our Cup/Junior depth.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There’s some quality nicknames floating around, worth a thread on it for some sh!ts and giggles!
The Handbrake
The Assistant
The Centre
Pangirl
Flamingo
Waddles
The PR Stunt

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eddie Blacker and Sele for me. I would also look into Wong from the roosters. Has big wrapps but can't seem to crack grade.
Blacker was very good against the dogs n based on the onfield talk was heavily targeted by the dogs but still played well. Iv seen Wong play a few times - played well every time especially one one defence Nafahu Whyte has also been consistently good for roosters - wong n whyte n blacker - connection n culture

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Blacker was very good against the dogs n based on the onfield talk was heavily targeted by the dogs but still played well. Iv seen Wong play a few times - played well every time especially one one defence
Didn't he score a double against us in Reserves?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a lot of people mentioning Walkers name, must admit I haven’t seen him play a lot of footy, but like a lot of young players I know he gets talked up a lot.

What I do know is he was playing in a stacked team with big representative forwards, backed up by talent all over the park including arguably the best fullback in the comp, and he’s been dropped.

Isn’t that a Flanagan type red flag ?

If they were happy for us to buy him I’d be getting a bad case of déjà vu.

What’s the real go with that bloke ?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't he score a double against us in Reserves?
he did indeed score a double against us in reggies. Based on the calls of "blacker, blacker" throughout his time on the field i think he was on the dogs tip sheet

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Blacker was very good against the dogs n based on the onfield talk was heavily targeted by the dogs but still played well. Iv seen Wong play a few times - played well every time especially one one defence
Yeah and I think that will feed in to what Gus is trying to do with bringing in young blokes. The fact that Blacker didn't get a run with the nrl side over origin might indicate he is a bit down the mocking order so could be gettable.