Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Should the bulldogs make Reynolds priority number one target for 2022?

• Total voters

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And please tell me one good reason why Mitchell would want to leave a powerhouse like the roosters and come to the dog house...not even 12 million would convince him....
That’s going to be a problem with attracting any player not just Mitchell!

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
S
Of course we have the cap space, we could scratch up close to $1m this year and then around $2m next year and over $4m in 2021. Fit him in easy, in fact both of them. Shaq this year and then Latrell next year, we are the family club after all.

Go Dogs
So 7 million for 3 years

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How could they? Cap auditors don't know anything in regards to players partners or players personal bank accounts, nor leagues clubs accounts, or club sponsors accounts.

Deals are done in boardrooms with backhanders provided to players. It only comes to light if a disgruntled employee squeals.
How could they? Cap auditors don't know anything in regards to players partners or players personal bank accounts, nor leagues clubs accounts, or club sponsors accounts.

Deals are done in boardrooms with backhanders provided to players. It only comes to light if a disgruntled employee squeals.
The NRL cap auditors have wide ranging powers of access and for the last 2 seasons have been conducting “drop in” audits were they turn up unannounced and check payments from the leagues clubs and football clubs, meetings minutes, correspondence with players and agents etc. They also have full access to the players’ accounts, tax returns and even phone records.

It’s not just the NRL audits that have to be accommodated, the ATO and the various State Revenue offices have followed up on salary cap breaches to make sure that they have received their share of the taxes due.

Club officials are required to sign annual statutory declarations on their club’s compliance. Lying on a stat dec is a criminal offence, that’s why more “self reporting” of breaches has been occurring. No one wants to go to jail.

Of course it’s possible to rort the cap but it’s not easy to hide (the truth finds its eay out) and there is no such thing as no risk. The best way is to comply with the rules whilst achieving the maximum benefit. There are lots of legal add ons to the cap itself, taking advantage of them is where some are just better than others. Obviously the one city teams have an indisputable advantage in that area.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So 7 million for 3 years
The general target is a full cap turn, currently $9.6m, every 3 years. Achieved by having a mix of players on 1, 2, 3 and the occasional 4 year contracts. Renewing or moving on players as appropriate.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And please tell me one good reason why Mitchell would want to leave a powerhouse like the roosters and come to the dog house...not even 12 million would convince him....
Well.........I would start out by reminding him that he is just one player in a star studded team. That he will never get the recognition he deserves if he stays in that environment. That he has already won a premiership, a State of Origin and the next challenge awaits him. If he truly wants to be considered one of the game’s greats he has to take a non star studded team to a premiership. I would also offer him, say, a vote on the board, for the next coach.

He will know full well that whatever team he chooses will attract other players, get one and the others will follow. Demonstrably we have the full support of the most profitable of leagues club, so he knows he will get paid, in full and on time. Which is not the case with many other clubs.

Go Dogs

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He wants to play fullback and he wont get it at the Roosters. Any team would love to have this bloke, genuine Superstar. If there was anyway we could afford him it would be one of the best signings in the clubs history.

Cannot see it happening though, can see him only at Souths if he left.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He wants to play fullback and he wont get it at the Roosters. Any team would love to have this bloke, genuine Superstar. If there was anyway we could afford him it would be one of the best signings in the clubs history. Cannot see it happening though, can see him only at Souths if he left.
If we can't "afford him" then I don't see how the Wabbits can, as they will still have to pay Inglis for the next 2 years at full contract value. We could take him right now, pay him around $1m for the rest of this season and then, say, $1.5m a year for the next 3 years Next season we would still have enough to recruit a couple of pretty good players, albeit not superstars. That's just untilising the cap freed up by the players off contract next year. If we shed some more then we could obviously afford more.

Go Dogs

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we can't "afford him" then I don't see how the Wabbits can, as they will still have to pay Inglis for the next 2 years at full contract value. We could take him right now, pay him around $1m for the rest of this season and then, say, $1.5m a year for the next 3 years Next season we would still have enough to recruit a couple of pretty good players, albeit not superstars. That's just untilising the cap freed up by the players off contract next year. If we shed some more then we could obviously afford more.

Go Dogs
I think the NRL will allow them to use Inglis' money.
Alot of money for 1 bloke. Remembering we still need enough money for 30 players aswell.
I'm am not privy to any $$ we have so hard to comment on what we can or cant afford.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the NRL will allow them to use Inglis' money.
If they do the stink will be loud and long, they (the NRL) have knocked back plenty of clubs/players in similar situations. There is a long list of that history, plus more importantly it sets the precedent for the future, then any club can simply offer a player $big to "retire" and take up some other position, at any time they like. It doesn't remotely go close to satisfying the medically retired criteria. That's why they are still "considering it", looking desperately for some unique loop hole that they can apply to this case and this case only. For no other reason than it's Inglis.

of money for 1 bloke. Remembering we still need enough money for 30 players as well.
When we get down to individual players it's hard, but in an overall team context where we are right now is pretty easy to work out. We kept 5% of the cap free as we are entitled to, then Klemmer left and we recruited Napa for around $200k to $300k less. That adds up to around $700k to $800k spare under the cap this year. Adding up roughly the players off contract next season results in around $2m being available.

My "$1.5m a season" is simply a number, I'm not suggesting that's what we will actually pay Mitchell, just that we can mathematically afford that if we had to. I would hope that we could get him for $1m under the cap, $100K in cars and $150K in TPA's, but that's the negotiations we should be having.

Go Dogs

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If they do the stink will be loud and long, they (the NRL) have knocked back plenty of clubs/players in similar situations. There is a long list of that history, plus more importantly it sets the precedent for the future, then any club can simply offer a player $big to "retire" and take up some other position, at any time they like. It doesn't remotely go close to satisfying the medically retired criteria. That's why they are still "considering it", looking desperately for some unique loop hole that they can apply to this case and this case only. For no other reason than it's Inglis.

When we get down to individual players it's hard, but in an overall team context where we are right now is pretty easy to work out. We kept 5% of the cap free as we are entitled to, then Klemmer left and we recruited Napa for around $200k to $300k less. That adds up to around $700k to $800k spare under the cap this year. Adding up roughly the players off contract next season results in around $2m being available.

My "$1.5m a season" is simply a number, I'm not suggesting that's what we will actually pay Mitchell, just that we can mathematically afford that if we had to. I would hope that we could get him for $1m under the cap, $100K in cars and $150K in TPA's, but that's the negotiations we should be having.

Go Dogs
I think if we had a 800 - Mil to splash on him it would be worth it. But just becasue we throw that at him he also needs to want to come over, which seems to be a major hurdle with us these days.

We really need some consistency in the team, add the X Factor he could bring it would rub off on the younger/Rookie type players and will help our cause no end.

But, I still cant see this ever happening, love to be proved wrong.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Didn't he mention how he hates the bulldogs?
Yeah he does.

For everyone who are wanking over the possibility it WON'T HAPPEN!
The Bulldogs DON'T Have the money he would demand under the cap for one, also as above he doesn't like the Bulldogs for rejecting him (Blame your old board and Hasler for this stuff up along with every other one).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah he does.
For everyone who are wanking over the possibility it WON'T HAPPEN!
The Bulldogs DON'T Have the money he would demand under the cap for one, also as above he doesn't like the Bulldogs for rejecting him (Blame your old board and Hasler for this stuff up along with every other one).
We absolutely do have the money. FFS look at the 8 players off contract next year and tell me that doesn't free up enough space for Mitchell and a couple of other decent players.

Any half worthwhile manager could sell the fact that what happened was not the club itself but by people who are demonstrably no longer there. We hate them as much as he does, the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Maybe the fact that they knocked him back set him on the course to prove them wrong, maybe he's better off now because of that knock back. He should be thanking us, not hating on us.

Keep in mind the dual objectives, get him or push up his price a lot, either is a win for us.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He won't leave the Roosters. He's just bumping up his value for a contract extension.
No problem, just make sure we bump it up a lot, use up their cap, so we can grab someone else. There is no downside to making a $big play, one that is put up in bright lights for all to see. Makes it harder to hide how much he is really going to be paid.

Go Dogs

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No problem, just make sure we bump it up a lot, use up their cap, so we can grab someone else. There is no downside to making a $big play, one that is put up in bright lights for all to see. Makes it harder to hide how much he is really going to be paid.

Go Dogs
it wont make a difference.. remember all the players that took "less money" to play with the roosters and a chance of a premiership .. Tedesco, Cronk B Moz etc..

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting Mitchell would be a miracle! Whatever we are willing to pay, uncle Nick, will double it! I don't understand how people think the roosters are abiding by the cap, it's laughable.... People need to understand Roosters are untouchable when it comes to player recruitment....

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LMAO Latrell Mitchell. What a waste of a thread.