Reality check - We are still far off

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What baffles me is the major contrast between our nsw cup side and grade. Usually when you have such good depth your team is doing well in grade. But it’s been happening for years where our cup side dominate and grade are fighting the spoon.
Now how does that even make any sense? It’s either they are complicating things in grade and players ain’t adjusting or the coach is simply picking names over form.
Whatever the problem is it needs to be rectified. This grade team will be lucky to win another 1-2 games this year if they keep going like this. Sharks next week have a monster forward pack and now Hynes has been dropped from origin he is going to carve us up!
Cup is a completely different category. I do understand the point your trying to make.

We need a sole leader. Reed, Burton cant/dont leed this team. Its the same old story. An experienced old head like Hunt would make a world of difference and I dont even think he is the right fit. Would put Burton back to 6 then he can finally get on with why he was brought to us in the first place.

Then Ciraldo can get on with sorting and honing the way we play.

What was the game plan yesturday? Get the ball to our outside men like JAC or Avo?
Ball movement was atrocious. No draw and pass, they put it through the hands for the sake of it, run out of room, end up flat footed. Add to that no vigor to get up to play the ball at speed to get a roll on. Painful to watch.

People will cry forwards are soft. Yes we need recruits. Dont see how that fixes us overplaying our hand every time we got down their end yesterday in the first half. Or why our captains didn't get in a huddle and call for calm to hang on to the ball so they could set up down field and try an build some pressure. Patience, play for repeat sets. The usual basic things footy teams do.
Or why our co captain gives away a repeat set on the last placing the team under immense pressure.

Then there is defense.

Fuck we have some issues.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We are so dumb. We kept going left, the same play over and over, always far from the ad line, and they numbered up on us every time. They know that our go-to is JAC. But as soon as Rajab came on, he changed it up.

And TPJ gets bamboozled in defence coz the prick doesn't know how to count.
Side to side passing to the next flat footed statue. Virtually no engaging the line and th3n passing to create. Beginning to believe there is a major problem internally...or something, who knows \_(ツ)_/¯...this team is not gelling at all any longer. Look lost and out of ideas. Max King is a shadow of his early form. It doesn't pay short term, or long term, to play injured beyond what you can physically endure. A few look like they are. They don't look like they have any faith in the guy next to them and is it any wonder with the continual acceptance of mistake riddled players that coach keeps picking. There's not much to pick from but some basic standards need to be upheld if he wants credibility. Can't keep putting these guys in and team mates and fans see no difference in dumb plays week after week.

This appears to now be a major weakness in Ciro's coaching style. He has persisted with dumb players for so long, the team and him seem to be boxed in a corner with no hope for the rest of the year.....and there's 12 games to go!

Earlier in the year it may have been alleviated by weeding out 1 or 2 poor players every few weeks until he got them gelling, but now it needs mass changes to effect a change of mind set which is too late and just as worrying is Ciro doesn't seem to be able to see it or at least rectify anything much at all.

A very tough initiation to first grade for him this year.

Hopefully Gus gets some forwards and a 7 and we have a better run with injuries in 2024.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every week it’s the same shit players letting us down. Cc puts systems in place but he can’t be responsible for individual efforts. He can however drop them all if he wants to.

I keep saying it’s Tpj, okunbor and perham who are recurring poor performers. Tpj is way too hot and cold, but when he is off, he really screws up, a lot of the time it leads directly to the opposition scoring. We can’t have that in the team right now because of poor individual efforts.
You are assuming that the systems CC has put in place are appropriate. They may also be part of the problem.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Every week it’s the same shit players letting us down. Cc puts systems in place but he can’t be responsible for individual efforts. He can however drop them all if he wants to.

I keep saying it’s Tpj, okunbor and perham who are recurring poor performers. Tpj is way too hot and cold, but when he is off, he really screws up, a lot of the time it leads directly to the opposition scoring. We can’t have that in the team right now because of poor individual efforts.
Where is the evidence that CC puts anything in place? Getting carved up through the middle week after week seems like poor coaching to me. Was never a job for a rookie coach.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You are assuming that the systems CC has put in place are appropriate. They may also be part of the problem.
It's time to face the fact that with all the problems of individual players and the team collectively playing so bad as most are detailing on here, along with commentators and fans and opposition players explaining how to easily expose us... in reality we are no better than in several previous years, and that the coaching is not working at present.

All our elementary playing mistakes should be corrected by effective coaching. Atm they aren't being fixed any better than in previous years.

Not bagging Ciro. He is doing the best he can, all bar his continual selection of a few mistake riddled players who always add to the teams pressure and break down of play and inability to build momentum.

This issue must be addressed before we can even begin to look like a first grade team.

A new mindset must be implemented from today onwards with his selections and demand for 100% effort to show some improvement over our past years failures.

Tiges and Dragons playing better than us at present so wooden spoon must be avoided and we must take action now to stop further bad losses.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a side note, I thought last year giving Potter the assistant coaching gig was a mistake. I failed to see his value. End of last year's success was more addition by subtraction with Barrett gone.

Look at how well NSW cup is playing with Tangata-Toa? He's really coaching them to play an expansive brand of footy and you can see the defensive principles are still there as well. Last night was the first time NSW cup had a team at full strength and they won by 60. I think Tangata-Toa's coaching in attack is extremely underrated, I would have had him there over Potter.

I like Potter, club legend, but I feel Gus missed the mark appointing him as an assistant off the back of last year.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just a side note, I thought last year giving Potter the assistant coaching gig was a mistake. I failed to see his value. End of last year's success was more addition by subtraction with Barrett gone.

Look at how well NSW cup is playing with Tangata-Toa? He's really coaching them to play an expansive brand of footy and you can see the defensive principles are still there as well. Last night was the first time NSW cup had a team at full strength and they won by 60. I think Tangata-Toa's coaching in attack is extremely underrated, I would have had him there over Potter.

I like Potter, club legend, but I feel Gus missed the mark appointing him as an assistant off the back of last year.
He is a fraud, all he did was tell them to play eyes up footy, which only won us a few meaningless games.

A lot of people fell for that.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's time to face the fact that with all the problems of individual players and the team collectively playing so bad as most are detailing on here, along with commentators and fans and opposition players explaining how to easily expose us.
Your team isn't playing as a team. They are playing as individuals & some wanting to win the game by themselves or players putting to much pressure on certain players to win you the games.

When they do play as a team, they are deadly. And yes most are the games you have won.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Your team isn't playing as a team. They are playing as individuals & some wanting to win the game by themselves or players putting to much pressure on certain players to win you the games.

When they do play as a team, they are deadly. And yes most are the games you have won.
Same "underlying" probs Broncs went thru recently?

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same "underlying" probs Broncs went thru recently?
Not quite, we had players who were a cancer at the club & thought they ran the club & they were told to piss off.

Your club got one of the major cancers, Chooks got the other one. Phins got one, but Benny looks like he sorted him out.

KO maybe a great player, but he wasn't going to hold the club to ransom. So they let him go. It took them awhile, but they were teaching him a lesson.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not quite, we had players who were a cancer at the club & thought they ran the club & they were told to piss off.

Your club got one of the major cancers, Chooks got the other one. Phins got one, but Benny looks like he sorted him out.

KO maybe a great player, but he wasn't going to hold the club to ransom. So they let him go. It took them awhile, but they were teaching him a lesson.
took them awhile, but they were teaching him a lesson.

Huh?

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
took them awhile, but they were teaching him a lesson.

Huh?
That he didn't dictate a pay increase & demand a spot in the top 30, when the Broncos knew he wasn't ready. And he wasn't the be all & end all of the club.

Also cause he didn't play (his choice) he wasn't paid. lol

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tbh I've been more invested in our lower grades for the last couple years, they play a much better style of football.
Yes I’d agree. Lower grades much better to watch. Our NSW cup team turned it on yesterday, as I suspect the players sniff a chance in the NRL.

Despite the significant performance gap between our NRL team & NRL top 4-5, I feel we are not so far away personnel-wise.

A game managing half back (KO/KR??? - Ok not yet) & a couple of big front rowers (who eat meters & defend) are the need. Kikau & Thommo would make a big difference, if fit.

It’s very obvious to see the drop in quality of teams like Penrith, Broncos, Storm & Rabbits when they lose only a couple of key playmakers &/or forwards (or those players have an off game).

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a fraud, all he did was tell them to play eyes up footy, which only won us a few meaningless games.

A lot of people fell for that.
I understand Gus wanting an old boy there but I really think he offers nothing. Our attack has gone backwards.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Before a ball was kicked this year and you can go check my comments. I said we still had no spine and looks like a bottom 6 finish. So most of these looses ain't hurtin me to fuckin bad. But what does feel like an iron needle in my balls is, we can't even do the basics right. The fuckin fundamentals of the game

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd hate to be with any of you fake fans in the trenches

You flops would surrender at the first chance
Nah the team went AWOL weeks ago, we are the poor sods sticking around to be picked off by the Germans

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gus and club would of been strung up by the Potter fans if he didn’t get some form of coaching gig. He was supposed to be working along side Sandercock this season.

Every Media platform probably would of given it to us as well ..?

Stupid thing is when Potter was bought in from the Mounties mid year, he apparently didn’t know any of the players, what was going on, or where to start .. I read somewhere it was Sandercock who approach Potter with the idea of stripping down Barrett’s structures and just letting them go out there and play footy .. apparently he’d approached Barrett with the same plan earlier but Barrett was to stubborn to take up the idea ..

Feel our attack has gotten progressively worse since they moved Sandercock over to the woman’s league …

We might need to go and pilfer the best attacking assistant we can find and maybe say goodbye to Potter ..

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus and club would of been strung up by the Potter fans if he didn’t get some form of coaching gig. He was supposed to be working along side Sandercock this season.

Every Media platform probably would of given it to us as well ..?

Stupid thing is when Potter was bought in from the Mounties mid year, he apparently didn’t know any of the players, what was going on, or where to start .. I read somewhere it was Sandercock who approach Potter with the idea of stripping down Barrett’s structures and just letting them go out there and play footy .. apparently he’d approached Barrett with the same plan earlier but Barrett was to stubborn to take up the idea ..

Feel our attack has gotten progressively worse since they moved Sandercock over to the woman’s league …

We might need to go and pilfer the best attacking assistant we can find and maybe say goodbye to Potter ..
I heard the same thing regarding Potter at Mounties. I don’t think he took it all that serious, which is fair enough, but he was in the right place at the right time last year and like you said just stripped out the Baz structures and saw success. It was hardly anything he did.
There is no doubt that we don’t have the team on paper to win yet. I just really like whah Tangata Toa is doing with the NSWcup boys, he took them to a grand final last year as well. I don’t know much about him, but I like what he’s been able to do thus far. I hope he stays on the coaching staff in some capacity.

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score
Three wins out of the 8.
Should have won a couple more, could have been one win out of the 8 which is disappointing.

Better than where we were in the past 3 seasons. Take into account the players missing also.