Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just like to see what everybody thinks of our "premier" competition.

PS you can pick more than one option.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More scripted than wrestling. There used to be upsets and comebacks galore week to week in the NRL. Now you know who will win most games, the gap between the top 4-6 teams and everyone else is wider than ever and you almost never see comebacks because the team that falls behind has no energy to try and get back into it. I don't see how that's more entertaining for anyone.

Even if we had our 2002-2004 squad playing under these rules, were winning every game and scoring 40 plus every week, I'd still hate what they've turned the game into.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Players use to be able to put on a shoulder charge or just change the the course of the game with a sublime play. Refs with the 6 again now control the flow and can change the result to how they see fit.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All of the above.. but incompetent gets my vote .!!

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Administration - puppets, like most run sports.
Refereeing - incompetent, unprofessional, more scripted than WWE
spectacle - what was the greatest game of all is becoming a borefest, and heading towards unwatchable....
Bulldogs (& Parramatta)- when at the top of the ladder, are the only teams that can save this sport from extinction, due to their supporters base and the hype they're able to conjure!

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
More scripted than WWE.

There is now a massive difference between the top 6 teams (Storm, Panthers, Rabbits, Rosters, Eels and Raiders) to the rest.

A lot is either tin foil hat stuff or poorly run/managed clubs/poor salary cap management.

One thing we do know for certain is that the nrLOL NEED Melbourne and QLD Teams to be successful for the game to grow, attract attention and therefore attract revenue.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most games I watch now seem to run to a script directed by referees. With so many ways for them to control the flow of possession, over rule tries, be blind to one teams indiscretions while nailing everything the other team, offering two different definitions of 10m does it's hard for me to not think it's heavily influenced by refereeing to the point where it seems scripted. so while I voted on options 4 and 5, I think they're doing a very professional job of rorting games, a very unprofessional job of monitoring the salary cap (as evidenced by the fact that numerous premierships have been won by teams over the cap where one of those teams caught was due to a staff member stupidly mentioning the second set of books).

So very professional in referees rorting, but unprofessional in most other aspects unless you consider that it's run to script.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Shambolic - that’s what happens when you sell the game to the highest bidder, they effectively relinquish rights and ownership...the NRL are now purely puppeteers behind corporations who have invested interests and referees given the tools to manipulate results and direct momentum.
When significant figures in the game seek clarification of the rules what hope is left for everyone else. As a spectator and fan I feel insulted by these rules... six again...six again.. cowbells ringing....break...scrum for potential sinbin... definitely sped up my hate ...but I will always love my dogs

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I needed something imbetween incompetent and good. Ill go 65% good.

I think fans, the public want to love NRL.
I think fans would grow in numbers, family traditions would follow as they always have if the NRL is run well.

There isn't going to be a breakdown/disintegration of the NRL anytime soon so...

The NRL should show a little more respect to the game of Rugby League in this country.
By that I mean changing the fabric of the sport shouldn't be taken lightly yet every year they introduce rule changes.
Some are WTF unnecessary. 20/40, why waste time contemplating such a rule. How did that even become a discussion let alone make it out of the room.
Why would you mess with something so precious that doesn't belong to you?
I know people don't like scrums but if there weren't so many rule changes and poor officiating over the last 20 years, then perhaps scrums would still be exciting in the dying moments of big matches.

I understand there has always been rule changes.

last 25 year bunker, betting, technologies, even the print media has a greater impact on the game.

Players once held day jobs, now they're socialites with wags and make the headlines because the world is a different place.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
If it doesn't belong to you, leave it alone. If change is 'necessary', show some respect.
League has become too complex.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
UNPROFESSIONAL!!!! Shit WWE is scripted but Vinnie Macs been runnin’ a tight ship there for years.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I needed something imbetween incompetent and good. Ill go 65% good.

I think fans, the public want to love NRL.
I think fans would grow in numbers, family traditions would follow as they always have if the NRL is run well.

There isn't going to be a breakdown/disintegration of the NRL anytime soon so...

The NRL should show a little more respect to the game of Rugby League in this country.
By that I mean changing the fabric of the sport shouldn't be taken lightly yet every year they introduce rule changes.
Some are WTF unnecessary. 20/40, why waste time contemplating such a rule. How did that even become a discussion let alone make it out of the room.
Why would you mess with something so precious that doesn't belong to you?
I know people don't like scrums but if there weren't so many rule changes and poor officiating over the last 20 years, then perhaps scrums would still be exciting in the dying moments of big matches.

I understand there has always been rule changes.

last 25 year bunker, betting, technologies, even the print media has a greater impact on the game.

Players once held day jobs, now they're socialites with wags and make the headlines because the world is a different place.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
If it doesn't belong to you, leave it alone. If change is 'necessary', show some respect.
League has become too complex.
Totally agree and very well said ... summed up perfectly in the last paragraph...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
More scripted than WWE. They also seem to be trying to squeeze more and more out of the players as time goes on. They will end up with a lot of injured players.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s the best it’s been in years. Everyone talks about the old days, lol. There were blow out scores all over the place. Vlandys has done a great job in my opinion. I’m enjoying watching it more lately than in the past 5 years

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People who think leave the game the way it was I don’t agree with. The players are constantly getting faster, fitter, stronger, smarter. Hence the game needs to evolve to avoid being stagnant

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i reckon it's alright also, personally i dont buy into the corruption etc.
Looking on from afar(W.A)i don't find Vlandy's invasive but agree we shouldnt tinker with the rules too much it's a great game try and keep it that way.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bold prediction: the new new new ruleset (as opposed to the ruleset from last year, or the other ruleset from last year) will either get dumped part way through the season, or it will be insisted upon and the outcome will be a decline in skills as fitness becomes a bigger and bigger part of the game and blokes who have great skills but aren't uber fit can't get a run in the top grade.

Baabaa will be watching all this and thinking "jeez, glad I played in 80-90s". And we ought to be too, we got to see a magician play for many years in our colours. That won't be happening any time soon under the current system.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bold prediction: the new new new ruleset (as opposed to the ruleset from last year, or the other ruleset from last year) will either get dumped part way through the season, or it will be insisted upon and the outcome will be a decline in skills as fitness becomes a bigger and bigger part of the game and blokes who have great skills but aren't uber fit can't get a run in the top grade.

Baabaa will be watching all this and thinking "jeez, glad I played in 80-90s". And we ought to be too, we got to see a magician play for many years in our colours. That won't be happening any time soon under the current system.
I reckon baa wished he played today with all the money that’s around. All sport requires supreme fitness at the elite level. I think this will allow more skills to be utilised with tiring defensive lines

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's organizations like the NRL with their favoritism and biased officiating that put the outlandishly scripted WWE to shame. At least the WWE tries to shake things up a bit with its story telling, where as the NRL it's more of the same. Nothing really changes......we get the same old biased referees playing favorites with bullshit calls, we can practically pick the top 4 teams before the season begins. The script never changes and yet the NRL remains the jewel in the crown the premiere competition of the Rugby League world.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon baa wished he played today with all the money that’s around. All sport requires supreme fitness at the elite level. I think this will allow more skills to be utilised with tiring defensive lines
Agree to disagree. Time will tell though. I suspect Baa would be finding ingenious ways to slow down play, and I suspect that more and more players will be doing so in 2021. Papenhousen last night might have been a case in point, and if so that would kind of argue against the whole "tiring defensive lines" argument, as he would probably be one of the players most expected to be taking advantage.