2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quiet achiever Tolman closing in on 250 milestone

Author

Margie McDonald Senior Reporter

Timestamp

Mon 22 Apr 2019, 08:01 PM

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/22/quiet-achiever-tolman-closing-in-on-250-milestone/

Aiden Tolman will be lucky to make it to his 250th NRL game if he keeps putting his body through the kind of physical demands he's asking of himself.

Then again he is a prop and the ability to never-say-die seems like a prerequisite for front-rowers.

Tolman definitely fits into that category. But if he wants to last another nine games – he currently sits on 241 games – he may need to up those recovery sessions.

He turned 30 last November but take a look at last weekend's stats against South Sydney and re-check his birth date.

Tolman played 70 minutes, made 17 hit-ups for 155 metres and topped his side in post-contact metres with 60 – 10 more than any other teammate - and tackles (47).

"He's just a machine. He just keeps going," coach Dean Pay said.

"You look at the other middles and think 'Do I need to give him a spell?' but he keeps turning up and doing his job."

The Bulldogs didn't get the win, going down 14-6, but the game Tolman produced should have been rewarded with competition points.

"I just want to win every week," he told NRL.com.

"That's just how I play the game. I want to fight for everything.

"There were a couple of moments there where I was just doing my job – getting myself between them and the ball.

"We didn't get the result but there's some signs there we're on the improve. It was a lot better than last week, that's for sure."

Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman. ©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos

It was far better than the 40-4 drubbing by the Dragons.

And Tolman's work was inspirational. After a dash down the right-side touchline Corey Allen kicked to centre field with his halfback Adam Reynolds chasing – but so too was Tolman.

He just got there first and batted the ball dead.

Minutes later Reynolds aimed for a clearing kick on his own 40-metre line. But Tolman sensed it is coming and raced in to smother it. The charge-down was effective and Tolman ran to retrieve the ball on the 10 metre line before any Rabboitohs got to him.

"I think most players are like that – they just go as hard as they can," he explained.

"Sometimes it works out for you, and sometimes it doesn't. I was fortunate to be in the right position at the right time.

"Look I work hard in every play, that's what I've built my game on, across my whole career.

"I never want to give up on the ball."

With the Bulldogs' defence seemingly strong, now it's time to get the attack to chime in.

"We turned the ball over on early tackles … giving away possession fatigues you, wears you out," Tolman said.

"We defended well on our try line but we paid the price in the end. We just had nothing left for attack in that second half.

"Our defence held us in that game but we need to be smarter with the ball."

The proof in all that comes on Friday, when the Bulldogs host the Cowboys at ANZ Stadium.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I was really critical of Tolman under Des, but i think since Des has left tolman has proved me wrong and proved he truly is one of the best club men you can get..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No one can ever question his effort and work rate. He needs to play big minutes right now because of his defense but Ogden needs to play 50 minutes minimum the rest of the season even when Napa is back. Developing him should be the number one priority.

Tolman can play the same minutes and just play Elliott less, or not at all.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For some reason I still see him as a storm player even though he's been with us for nearly a decade....

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Respect... He is one player that always puts in 110%. I think he'll hit 300 games in his career...

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is one player who deserves a premiership it’s Tolman... he gets crucified here at times and I’ll put my hand up being one of them at times. But the guy is showing his true worth. He has one hell of a motor on him and his experience is much needed. Hope he retires a bulldog.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
That try saver against Souths. To judge where he needed to be and as a forward against only Souths backs. To get in front and cart the ball out. That shit makes me jizz.

A try saved is a try scored. I’m a fullback so you understand my obsession with quality plays in your own end.

Same as what others say, under Des hated how he was always in the way. But now I can see the real Tolz

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has a great tackle. I don’t think I have ever seen a player run through Tolls. Also has safe hands. I don’t think I have ever seen an error in him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So underated by most on here his running game alot improved this year

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one can ever question his effort and work rate. He needs to play big minutes right now because of his defense but Ogden needs to play 50 minutes minimum the rest of the season even when Napa is back. Developing him should be the number one priority.

Tolman can play the same minutes and just play Elliott less, or not at all.
I'd be happy to see Ogden and Naps up front with Tolman at lock tbh.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Respect... He is one player that always puts in 110%. I think he'll hit 300 games in his career...
Surely has another couple of years in him. 300 is pretty amazing for a prop. He just never seems to get injured. I know he had a spell last year, but most would struggle to name another time.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Only 250? Fmd feels like I’ve been watching his 3 metre hit ups for at least 15 years
Fuck that is funny - but let's acknowledge what this guy has achieved in the blue and white, and how in the twilight of his career, he has gone up a level. Post contact metres show this guy has added intensity and purpose to his runs, and it shows on the field. I used to hate watching him get the ball. Now I smile with pride, that this guy is a leader for our young talent who have a lot to learn from people like him.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Has a great tackle. I don’t think I have ever seen a player run through Tolls. Also has safe hands. I don’t think I have ever seen an error in him.
Well, there was this one time when Alvaro (the parra player) ran through him and James Graham right near our try line and scored a try....