News Put down the phone. Read a book. Don't be knob heads

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He admitted he played most of his best footy coked up. He and his brother are complete morons both would have been de registered playing in this era.

total hypocrite!

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit "yes and no" on this point.

I remember sitting with some mates a few years ago - guys who i lived with for 3 years in an all male university college (the type the media likes to dig dirt on come the start of every university year). The behaviour was so bad in the early 90s that a former principal even write a book on it. Now, we were all talking about how relieved we were that smartphones weren't around etc, as none of us would be able to ever tun for higher office... but if those things were around, would be still have acted the we we did, or would we have learned to curb it a bit for the sake of our future selves? I mean you certainly can't fix stupid, and getting an 18 year old to understand how consequences work would be a challenge to put it mildly, but with all the education around now, particularly for players coming into grade, there must be a point where people just learn to behave a bit differently/discreetly?
Attitudes have changed. Decades ago there was an incident where a couple of players, one reported to be Johnny Raper, did a nude run through a London hotel while on a Kangaroos tour. It was widely reported as a lark and bit of harmless fun by good guys letting off a bit of steam. Fast forward to Elliott nuding up in a private function, where he was seen by a stalker with a telephoto lens, and all hell breaks loose with the disgust and calls for deregistration that follows any Doggies' incident.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Attitudes have changed. Decades ago there was an incident where a couple of players, one reported to be Johnny Raper, did a nude run through a London hotel while on a Kangaroos tour. It was widely reported as a lark and bit of harmless fun by good guys letting off a bit of steam. Fast forward to Elliott nuding up in a private function, where he was seen by a stalker with a telephoto lens, and all hell breaks loose with the disgust and calls for deregistration that follows any Doggies' incident.
I was the king of the nude run back in the day. Part of my freshman initiation was a full lap of Sydney University completely starkers. That stretch of Parramatta Road from Glebe to Camperdown is a long way. Got plenty of honks of support from passing motorists...

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Joey, were any of those cheerleaders still schoolgirls at the time? Did you bother to ask?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was the king of the nude run back in the day. Part of my freshman initiation was a full lap of Sydney University completely starkers. That stretch of Parramatta Road from Glebe to Camperdown is a long way. Got plenty of honks of support from passing motorists...
Jesus was that you? I worked in the area for 15 years. I'm still recovering :-).

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I guess the difference is Raper at best was a story passed verbally. Elliott was on the front page of a - ahem - 'news' paper.
So yeah, attitudes and education have changed. Remember when a streaker at the cricket was considered a laugh - now it's a $5500 fine and a life ban.
Technology and how fast these things spread (no pun intended) have played a big part into changing attitudes.

Last edited:

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right, he should not be excluded from an opinion but it would contain greater sense and credibility if it was
consistent with his past actions which he has not considered inappropriate.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'proves my point'.
As a personal friend of yours can you please pass on a message for me - tell him to shut the fuck up !
Also pass that message on to yourself Nasheed, you are the blowarse king of the Kennel and should be banned from posting.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a bit rich coming from the biggest druggie and booze hound footy player of his generation, which is saying something in the coke and pills era that he played in.

I love how players like him with such an extensive history of off field issues act as if they were saints when they played. Freddy is just as bad with the hypocrisy.. If Joey played in the social media era he would have been de-registered by the NRL by his second season.
That's the point for our guys. It was widely known Johns had a substance abuse problem during his career in real time. It was covered up. Too big to fail. Future immortal and all that.
The hardest thing to cop when you've fucked up is that you have to listen to holier than thou pricks preaching their do as I say not as I do bullshit.
How many times did Johns play under the influence of a banned substance?. How many training sessions did he turn up to off his head?. How often did he drive under the influence of a banned substance or booze?Then how many times did he proactively groom schoolgirls to hook up with? That was all OK right? Different times right? How was that right? How was that tolerated? What?the girls back then didn't matter? Give me a break. He got around town as a doped up primadona. He was out of control and the rugby league knew and did nothing about it.
Your not entitled to pass judgement on others when you did the things your complaining about yourself.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
That's the point for our guys. It was widely known Johns had a substance abuse problem during his career in real time. It was covered up. Too big to fail. Future immortal and all that.
The hardest thing to cop when you've fucked up is that you have to listen to holier than thou pricks preaching their do as I say not as I do bullshit.
How many times did Johns play under the influence of a banned substance?. How many training sessions did he turn up to off his head?. How often did he drive under the influence of a banned substance or booze?Then how many times did he proactively groom schoolgirls to hook up with? That was all OK right? Different times right? How was that right? How was that tolerated? What?the girls back then didn't matter? Give me a break. He got around town as a doped up primadona. He was out of control and the rugby league knew and did nothing about it.
Your not entitled to pass judgement on others when you did the things your complaining about yourself.
I disagree.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wipe your nose and get out of the shitter Joey Fukn scum bag

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree.
You disagree?... So you can be a criminal...not get caught then it's morally fine to pass judgement on others committing the same crime? What world are you from? Give me a break.