Private eye puts the byte on hacker's illegal rugby league website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/private-eye-puts-byte-on-illegal-rl-website/story-e6freuzi-1226024299129

Private eye puts the byte on hacker's illegal rugby league website

Mark Morri From: The Daily Telegraph
March 19, 2011 12:00AM

Offside ... Liam, descrobed as a computer hacking genius.
Pic: Nic Gibson Source: The Daily Telegraph

TWO hours before the NRL season kicked off, a young hacker was politely told to shut down his illegal website which had been streaming live matches - or face going to jail.

The NRLfixit.com.au website was started last season by a Rozelle youngster just out of high school.

In two days, "Liam" - as he wants to be known - had 6000 members and by the end of last season the number had grown to 12,000. He believed he would have tripled that this year.

Flushed with the success of his site, the young entrepreneur moved from amateur hacker to budding businessman and began looking for sponsors.

But NRL officials were not impressed.

"Organisations pay large sums of money for the rights to televise these matches," NRL spokesman John Brady said. "And, like any brand, we have to protect ourselves and our clients against piracy."

The NRL realised someone was streaming their games - but hunting down who, where and how was beyond their expertise. Enter private eye and cyber crime expert Ken Gamble.

What he found amazed him. The site was sourced back to the young hacker, a Wests Tigers supporter, in the heart of Balmain territory. "This was a smart kid with no formal training but an absolute computer genius," Mr Gamble said.

A team of cyber experts working for Mr Gamble tracked down 20-year-old Liam, living at home with his mum and dad at Rozelle.

Internet Fraud Watchdog and the International Association of Cybercrime Prevention will hold the 4th Regional Conference on Cybercrime and International Criminal Co-operation in Sydney on May 19 and 20.

www.nrlfix.com sheeeeeeeeeesh Telecrap!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nrl need to get munted and leave the plebs who cant afford fox alone

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, any money, he'll get offered a high paying dream job now... IBM, Google, would be throwing money at him.....

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Them ****in balmain fans ......

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Dont get me started ...
lol, tbh I started typing tigers then changed to Balmain.

Was a good rant you had on them the other day. Sorry, I know the media will fire you up in the morning about it :p

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
So not a genius

If he was he, wouldn't have been tracked down.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
here's a tip for those running foxtel - there are alot people, just like me, who don't want anything on your basic package or on other packages, except for maybe a couple of things

personally, i am only interested in one thing - NRL. NOTHING ELSE

the cost to have the basic package PLUS the sports package, just so i can watch not much more than a couple of dozen games a year does not add up. your service is not worth it.

make it worth my while or don't bid in the next tv negotiation process, so that league can go back to being purely on free to air tv alone. then we won't have people who are not able to make it to games, using the internet to view games

fingers crossed channels 10 and 7 trump the **** out this lot and channel nine.

live rugby league on OneHD and wherever channel 7 set up their sports program - yes please!

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
lololol i was one of their main distribtors

this guy emailed me, he browses the kennel all the time, as a guest, always in my streaming thread

he always emald me and pm'd me, really nice guy,always new it was going to get caught, but wow he had legal action

he never made ONE CENT profit, all for people run by the people
shame it went down but hey was really good when it was up

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
here's a tip for those running foxtel - there are alot people, just like me, who don't want anything on your basic package or on other packages, except for maybe a couple of things

personally, i am only interested in one thing - NRL. NOTHING ELSE

the cost to have the basic package PLUS the sports package, just so i can watch not much more than a couple of dozen games a year does not add up. your service is not worth it.

make it worth my while or don't bid in the next tv negotiation process, so that league can go back to being purely on free to air tv alone. then we won't have people who are not able to make it to games, using the internet to view games

fingers crossed channels 10 and 7 trump the **** out this lot and channel nine.

live rugby league on OneHD and wherever channel 7 set up their sports program - yes please!
channel 9 has has bent league over for years i hate free to air

they show 1 live game per week and have a ****ty footy show

vai - i will say this as its the second time we have had this discussion , instead of hammering foxtel why dont you hammer the nrl and tell them to do league passes like they do in the nba

http://www.nrl.com/Video/LiveStreaming/tabid/10750/Default.aspx

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
channel 9 has has bent league over for years i hate free to air

they show 1 live game per week and have a ****ty footy show

vai - i will say this as its the second time we have had this discussion , instead of hammering foxtel why dont you hammer the nrl and tell them to do league passes like they do in the nba

http://www.nrl.com/Video/LiveStreaming/tabid/10750/Default.aspx
i've already hammered the nrl in the live streaming thread too

just because channel 9 has bent league over, doesn't mean we have to get shafted by channel 10 and 7. we are in a much better position to get a better deal than the last couple of tv negotiations, financially and scheduling. there are also more channels on free to air tv now. channel 10 has an exclusive sports channel. it has been said that channel 7 will be doing the same. they currently have 2 channels that only mirror the main channel and are yet to be properly used.

and foxtel doesn't add up if a person isn't really interested in anything they have to offer, other than nrl

bring on channel 10 and 7. free to air is a different ball game these days and it will show if these two can win the next negotiation process imo

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
We'll see how long one hd lasts :grinning:

And do you something we don't About channel 7 and 10 for the bidding rights

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL realised someone was streaming their games - but hunting down who, where and how was beyond their expertise. Enter private eye and cyber crime expert Ken Gamble.

What he found amazed him. The site was sourced back to the young hacker, a Wests Tigers supporter, in the heart of Balmain territory. "This was a smart kid with no formal training but an absolute computer genius," Mr Gamble said.

A team of cyber experts working for Mr Gamble tracked down 20-year-old Liam, living at home with his mum and dad at Rozelle.
What did the team of cyber experts do? a whois search that would list who held the domain?

Hey everyone, search whois on google, type any web site address into that whois search and you to can be a cyber expert by finding who owns it :D

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We'll see how long one hd lasts :grinning:

And do you something we don't About channel 7 and 10 for the bidding rights
and do you know something we don't about oneHD?

i'm not really interested in this tit for tat conversing of theories and the like, it's a waste of time. only time will really tell

;)

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
and do you know something we don't about oneHD?

i'm not really interested in this tit for tat conversing of theories and the like, it's a waste of time. only time will really tell

;)
well murdoch and packer own channel 10 and a stake in foxsports and foxtel - which makes more money ;)

just stuff i have read

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
well murdoch and packer own channel 10 and a stake in foxsports and foxtel - which makes more money ;)

just stuff i have read
like i said, theories and the like. your view.....my view.....

we'll see how it comes out in the wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.