Pride Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
And for all those who think wearing Gambling and Alcohol sponsorship on jerseys is hypocritical then you need to educate yourselves a bit. Alcohol and gambling is permitted in Christianity. It’s only sinful when it’s done in excess to the point where it affects the individual and their family. E.g gambling all your money and not having enough left over to put food on the table for your children. There’s a difference.
Hold ya horses there chappy.

I made NO assumptions re the particular religion... I bet that at least one of the 7 are of the Mormon faith which specifically prohibit Alcohol...

and there is Sooooooo many subvariants of "Christianity" it is a very brave statement to broadside that statement... To that point there are some more progressive (and compassionate) arms of christianity which seems to have no issue with sexuality "Issues".

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn! Your right, I should have known that, I was in media and advertising for 20+ years and the "pink dollar" has always been worth a lot!
Is it worth more than winning a premiership?

Will the Womens Manly side be wearing same?

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think any country will ever be "there" as long as they have people who have religious beliefs that don't approve of homosexuality. And I am not having a go at religions here either.
Not overly sure that’s the harm they are worried about really, most cultures/people have come up against religion in some way or fashion. Think the comments hurt most. But I do agree it makes it almost impossible with religion to ever have it not be an issue unfortunately

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Big freaking deal.. I mean with all the hate in the world at the moment isn’t it nice that we sometimes acknowledge inclusiveness and acceptance of all the different types of people..not always division..

Imagine some young lgbtq person thinking heck I won’t be shunned if I play footy..I can be myself and not have to worry.. If a few rainbows on a jersey can do that..i don’t see a problem..

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big freaking deal.. I mean with all the hate in the world at the moment isn’t it nice that we sometimes acknowledge inclusiveness and acceptance of all the different types of people..not always division..

Imagine some young lgbtq person thinking heck I won’t be shunned if I play footy..I can be myself and not have to worry.. If a few rainbows on a jersey can do that..i don’t see a problem..
Nor do I but it’s a bit bigger than any ONE opinion. Sport should be about sport NOT politics.

Look at FIFA they’ve gone down the same path but look where they’re hosting the World Cup next year.

Qatar. Money talks and I need not tell anyone their views on the subject. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Hence why sport and politics should never mix.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I’ve disagreed on many things Paul Kent has said recently he made a great statement tonight on 360. He basically said it wasn’t needed as the manly jersey itself represents people from all different walks of life and that goes for any sporting team. We would have the one of the most diverse fan bases of any club and at the end of the day if we can all agree on our love of the bulldogs then everything else is irrelevant

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nor do I but it’s a bit bigger than any ONE opinion. Sport should be about sport NOT politics.

Look at FIFA they’ve gone down the same path but look where they’re hosting the World Cup next year.

Qatar. Money talks and I need not tell anyone their views on the subject. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Hence why sport and politics should never mix.
a WC in Qatar is proof of corruption in FIFA, not politics

Buster007

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The hypocrisy is illuminating for me...

They claim to refuse on religious grounds... but, without assuming their religion, I assume their religion/s are also opposed to gambling and alcohol.

the team plays at 4 pines stadium (Alcohol) and is sponsored by Pointsbet....

It is almost like this is the only issue that is decisive enough to get some traction... so lets have at it
Gambling and alcohol is not banned for Christians. Banned for Muslims and Jews.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This issue is becoming more and more prevalent. Companies wanting to support people for who they are is conflicting with religion. And it's only going to get worse. The more we accept people who are different, the more the world conflicts with religion.

So what's the solution. Tell LGBTQI peeps that we won't accept them? Or tell religious that we won't accept them?
That's exactly the problem... we are meant to be a *tolerant* society. It was never expected that we have to "accept" off-beat communities. But over the years, if anyone has been paying attention, the demand has been that we must be accepting. In fact, it's not good enough to tolerate.

We *must* sign-off on these off-beat communities, by representing their "pride"/which is my (not me personally) "sin"/degeneracy/etc...

It's quite enough. It's deliberate, and the people who diminish the pushback, "why don't you just play along, it's just wearing a jersey (um, no, it's a sign-off on acceptance).." are indoctrinated idiots.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, we just get tired of certain people spamming threads with anti-vax and fake political propaganda. Keep it on topic.
So they are super effective despite all the people in icu heavily out weighing the unvaxxed ? Someone just can’t handle the truth. Just in time for the 4th booster!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. 18 pages of debate and opposition, when supposedly the LGBQT community are "already accepted into the community". If they were accepted there wouldn't be 18 pages of whinging
2. Scomo tried to include a religious discrimination bill WHICH DISCRIMINATED AGAINST THE LGBQT community
3. Katherin Deves was hand picked by Scomo, to DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THE LGBQT community

This wasn't some average joe, this was the Prime Minister of Australia actively discriminating against the LGBQT community, it was the Prime Minister of Australia (who paid a shit lot of attention to what his electorate wanted to hear) who was giving a subset of the community what they wanted to hear, so please spare me that they're "already accepted into the community".

4. Sports and Politics should be separate - CROCK OF SHIT, it isn't separate, it's always been used by politicians, it's just that if those political views agree with the watching spectators, then it doesn't get raised as an issue

5. This is about inclusion, has nothing to do with accepting homosexuality vs religious belief, it's simply saying "don't care if you're gay or not, we accept you as a human and you are one of us"

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've got family that are gay and lesbian, so I'm pretty open minded and supportive, but this is a tricky one..

There are no openly gay players currently playing in the NRL. But there'd be numerous gay players that are too afraid to come out...
That's their own problem... there is enough encouragement these days to come out if they want. Sure, they might be nervous and apprehensive, fine, but that's not about coming out to play Rugby League, or participate as a member of the public. I doubt anyone young person would be apprehensive about coming out to their friends... there are gays and lesbians in almost every high school, and by age group. I've a child who's best friend is openly gay...

If it's about coming out to parents, it's actually *not helpful* for the Rugby League community to be encouraging that. If it's about trying to "enlighten" potentially uptight parents... I'm sorry, all this stuff is why parents are increasingly uptight. It seems self affirming for a parent that thinks their kids is socially pressured into this community, to then see even their sports team "pressuring" them.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hold ya horses there chappy.

I made NO assumptions re the particular religion... I bet that at least one of the 7 are of the Mormon faith which specifically prohibit Alcohol...

and there is Sooooooo many subvariants of "Christianity" it is a very brave statement to broadside that statement... To that point there are some more progressive (and compassionate) arms of christianity which seems to have no issue with sexuality "Issues".
I take your point, but you have to understand people often over generalize the prohibition of alcohol & gambling with Christianity which is not true. And it's very debatable to class Mormans are Christians. Mormans believe that there are many Gods, Christians believe in one God. Massive difference. If one footy player is a Morman and is ok to wear alcohol sponsorship but not the rainbow then call him a hypocrite. But it's not the case with traditional Christianity. And yes, you made no assumptions about any particular religion, but I want to make it clear that traditional Christianity and the majority of Christians teachings allow for alcohol consumption and gambling.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same thing happened in the MLB a few months ago where a few Rays players would not wear a similar message.
One of the Rays players summed it up perfectly

" "So it's a hard decision. Because ultimately we all said what we want is them to know that all are welcome and loved here. But when we put it on our bodies, I think a lot of guys decided that it's just a lifestyle that maybe — not that they look down on anybody or think differently — it's just that maybe we don't want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who's encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior, just like [Jesus] encourages me as a heterosexual male to abstain from sex outside of the confines of marriage. It's no different." "

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's exactly the problem... we are meant to be a *tolerant* society. It was never expected that we have to "accept" off-beat communities. But over the years, if anyone has been paying attention, the demand has been that we must be accepting. In fact, it's not good enough to tolerate.

We *must* sign-off on these off-beat communities, by representing their "pride"/which is my (not me personally) "sin"/degeneracy/etc...

It's quite enough. It's deliberate, and the people who diminish the pushback, "why don't you just play along, it's just wearing a jersey (um, no, it's a sign-off on acceptance).." are indoctrinated idiots.
As I see it, there's two levels of it. There's accepting people for who they are, and there's being forced to participate.

Acceptance and tolerance should always be the go to. Refusing to accept gay people for who they are is no different to refusing to accept someone because they have a different skin colour.

That said, Some religions are pretty clear on their stance on homosexuality so they shouldn't be forced to participate in any pride thing if they don't believe it. So just say, "I accept them for who they are, but I can't wear the jersey because of my religion"

Status
Not open for further replies.