CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No one does, that's the point.
Maybe they do? Are there Christians and Muslims in Australia hiding their religion and killing themselves? Maybe. I know there's some gays and whatever alphabets doing that.

Personally I don't really care all that much about it, just find it funny how defensive certain people get over it and making excuses instead of just saying what they really mean.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You know what I meant. No one is stopping them from playing footy or living their lives.

What next? a Christian round where everyone has a cross on their jerseys? a Muslim round where everyone has to play with a scarf?

Sport should be about sport.
Yeah, I got what you meant. It's pretty well accepted in Australia now but it becomes another issue. Active acceptance by sponsors. Sponsors are pushing active acceptance to avoid going back to the days where homophobia was the natural response. If the NRL backs down then they risk being (for lack of a better term) cancelled. Basically just vilified by every bleeding heart and that will result in the sport losing sponsors. And the NRL already had enough trouble competing with the AFL.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Maybe they do? Are there Christians and Muslims in Australia hiding their religion and killing themselves? Maybe. I know there's some gays and whatever alphabets doing that.

Personally I don't really care all that much about it, just find it funny how defensive certain people get over it and making excuses instead of just saying what they really mean.
I disagree with you and even if you were right it's not Manly's job to solve social issues.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've got family that are gay and lesbian, so I'm pretty open minded and supportive, but this is a tricky one..

There are no openly gay players currently playing in the NRL. But there'd be numerous gay players that are too afraid to come out. So while the NRL want to make it seem like they're an ally of the gay community and things like this help, it's all for show and doesn't even help gay players in their own league who are too afraid to come out because some of the team (as evidenced by the Manly players who are against it) would make it hard for them to feel comfortable enough to come out.

Maybe this will help those that haven't come out down the line, but I think putting rainbows on jerseys is a PR move and nothing else. If they really cared about gay players and the gay community, then we'd have more openly gay players.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do Christians and Muslims need that type of support in Australia though?
Christians often tell me that they're the most vilified. Honestly 10 years ago I would have said that both Muslims and LGBTQI need that kind of support. Now days they're all pretty good in Australia, with the exception that they still get vilified by far right wing groups. But who listens to them anyway.

There is still issues though. There's not universal acceptance. At least once per week I have a debate with a devout Christian that tells me that gay people should be allowed to do whatever they want, except get married or adopt kids. And I still get people telling me that Muslims are going to blow us all up. But it's generally the vocal minority in Australia.

Other countries there's still problems. Christians in Egypt are still heavily persecuted. It's still illegal to he gay in many countries and the Supreme Court are considering overturning gay marriage in the US. But we have it good in Australia. We're pretty good at acceptance.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As I say that there's plenty of acceptance in Australia, there's also several posts of blatant homophobia in this thread.

Just a warning people. Keep the homophobia out of it or this thread gets binned.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perfect moment to play them, the dressing room is divided over woke left wing agendas

Manly have gone woke! We need to put them in the mud.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes Des' problem of Hoppa not playing on Sundays pale into insignificance.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
best just keep it out of the workplace and thus, whether you go to mass after work or an orgy, it's irrelevant

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
best just keep it out of the workplace and thus, whether you go to mass after work or an orgy, it's irrelevant
It isn't irrelevant, for example I would like to go home with the orgy guy and not the mass guy.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Couldn’t give a shit either way
But this pride jersey
Aboriginal jersey
Anzac jersey
Heritage jersey
Magic round jersey
Woman in league jersey
We pay more rounds in “special jerseys”
Than our normal jerseys

Where do you draw the line ffs

P.s did I miss any? Lol
Add all those up and the warriors and tigers still have more jerseys they play in every season LOL

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Seriously I’m not against gays or whatever but can this whole pc shit be scaled back a bit. It’s so forced down the throat of everyone now it makes people who have no issue with their choices resent them.

Some of the players have religious beliefs. Their beliefs are just as entitled as that of the people pushing for these things.

This is a fucking sport. Not a bill passed on gay marriage or anything to do with this stuff.

Leave it alone. I support the bulldogs. I watch the nrl. I don’t need to be drawn into who’s religion doesn’t support gay life choices and who’s gay life choices are offended by who’s religion.

Let the players play. Move on. Leave it alone ffs. Take a stance where it counts if that’s what you want to do. Go drag this embarrassing nonsense away from SPORT! I don’t care if your gay, Asian, black, white or fucking half alien. I support the bulldogs. If you do to then cheer for our players on the field. What they believe off the field about their religious beliefs or their sexual preferences is nothing to do with us. Nor is ours to them.

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is getting a tattoo a sin?
Bro we get it, you’re pro Homosexuality but it doesn’t mean everyone else has to be. The gay community has access to and are included in every part of society already. Don’t cry.

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if a Manly player or two outs themselves as gay. Will the others objecting to the jersey refuse to play on the team?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
What if a Manly player or two outs themselves as gay. Will the others objecting to the jersey refuse to play on the team?
prob not, just tell them they're going to hell

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The thing PR moves like this does, is it actually makes it harder than it already was for gay players to come out with the backlash from the Manly players. So it's kind of counter-productive.

As idealistic as it sounds, people need to accept reality that there's a reason why there are only a handful of openly gay players in most male sporting leagues and that's because the locker room culture is not a place where they feel they'll be supported. Hopefully that changes in the future as you want people to be able to feel comfortable and able to express who they are, but putting a rainbow on some jerseys isn't going to solve this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.