Pre Super League Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wanna talk about some of our older memories of the Dogs growing up Pre Super League time

I miss the Rugby League from pre-Super League days

Nearly everything about rugby league was better pre superleague
-the way they played the game
-the players were less about being athletes and more about being footballers
-Origins were way better
-I preferred the jerseys back then
-The biff
-No wrestling

Could go on and on and on

A memorable game for bad reasons was vs Norths at Belmore, were we lead 17-0 and lost 18-17 due to a 8 point try on the buzzer because of Polla-Mounters tackle on Hall from memory, was at that game and devastated

Beating Manly 26-10 at Belmore on a Friday night was massive in 1994

1992, Lamb scored a late try to beat the Broncos 28-24 at Belmore

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree that pre Super League was a better game.

Fair enough I'm an old fart but its the scrums, play the ball and the obstruction rule that irritates me now.

In those days forwards were actually forwards. Every scrum and play the ball was a contest for possession. The forwards had to scrummage when a scrum went down. Now the only requirement to be a forward is to be an oversize athlete.

Pre Super League an obstruction was called a shepherd and it was always obvious if an attacking player impeded the defence; common sense ruled. Now, no matter what the refs aassociation say technical bullshit three or four passes away from where the try is scored is what the decision is made on.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was lucky enough to see .....
The Berries of the late 70's , early 80's , they were the real entertainers ... Scoring tries from their own half regularly, and through many sets of hands ....
However, the dogs of war in the mid eighties were a brutal bunch , battese, Kelly , Gillespie , Tunks and Folksey .... The Wok had a take no prisoners attitude ...
Total opposites , but great eras ...

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was lucky enough to see .....
The Berries of the late 70's , early 80's , they were the real entertainers ... Scoring tries from their own half regularly, and through many sets of hands ....
However, the dogs of war in the mid eighties were a brutal bunch , battese, Kelly , Gillespie , Tunks and Folksey .... The Wok had a take no prisoners attitude ...
Total opposites , but great eras ...
Oh Coyote thanks for that. You've just kick started mt one cylinder brain to remember what was probably the best try scored in Rugby League. Ted Glossop would have been the coach. The play the ball was on the Berries side of halfway with Norm Thomas dummy half. Norm just got the ball, saw the hole and gapped 'em with a say 30 metre diagonal run. He turned the ball inside, it went to the left side of the ground, then came to the right side and the try was scored. In that movement the ball went through 11 pairs of hands.

Geez... you're right about Wazza Ryan and that pack of forwards. Even if we didn't finish in front on the board, the other side came off second best in the brutal style we played.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We never won one of those mid week cups ... I was spewing when Folksey dropped the kick off after we scored which allowed combined Brisbane to come back and knock us out one year, furthest we ever got ... however every year they would have a competition for the golden try ... The Dogs would always win it .... =)

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Coyote thanks for that. You've just kick started mt one cylinder brain to remember what was probably the best try scored in Rugby League. Ted Glossop would have been the coach. The play the ball was on the Berries side of halfway with Norm Thomas dummy half. Norm just got the ball, saw the hole and gapped 'em with a say 30 metre diagonal run. He turned the ball inside, it went to the left side of the ground, then came to the right side and the try was scored. In that movement the ball went through 11 pairs of hands.

Geez... you're right about Wazza Ryan and that pack of forwards. Even if we didn't finish in front on the board, the other side came off second best in the brutal style we played.
Good old Teddy ... I remember our run in 79... Almost won it from 5th ...

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
The record home crowd at Belmore vs parramatta in 93 I think when we put 40 on them.

The 95 grandfinal still sneaks in pre sl era.

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good old Teddy ... I remember our run in 79... Almost won it from 5th ...
Yeah, St George were all over us in the first half. Their coach Harry Bath had his forwards combining in short passing raids. It worked... they scored two tries from forward passes.

But in the second half we came back really strong with Stan Cutler brilliant at fullback. He had that much strapping on one knee I wondered how he could walk let alone play.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, **** Superleague. I stopped watching league for years when that happened.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, **** Superleague. I stopped watching league for years when that happened.
Yeah, the super league killed the buzz of our great grand final victory of 95 , especially with the parra scum stealing half our team ....
I remember listening to the radio the morning the super league broke out ... Was really disappointed that we jumped ship , especially with Peter Moore being so close to the ARL at the time ....
The disappointment didn't last too long , 98 was a great year, we were staring down the barrel against the steelers in the last round... But just kept coming back all the way to the GF ... =)
98 semi against the Eels, was the sweetest comeback of all time =)

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

It was a game against Manly, and Rex Mossop had to call it. I think that was the game that the title "the Entertainers" was coined. I remember in those days going to a home game confident that we could win. Been a while since I've felt that way.

mygdok

Waterboy
Reaction score
It was a game, I think in 93 or 94. Friday night vs manly I think. It was the days of the delayed telecast. Bulldogs scored a try to level the scores, and halligan was lining up for a kick at goal. Channel nine went to a break. Comes back from the break, and halligan is lining up for another goal, and the score has jumped ahead about 16 points. I then realised that instead of returning from the break with the delayed telecast, channel nine pressed the wrong button and returned with the live feed.

The other game, around the same time, against Newcastle on a Sunday afternoon in Newcastle. We are behind by two, nearing fulltime. Scoreboard at the ground says we are level. Lamb kicks a field goal, and we lose by one pint because of the ground scoreboard.

kryptonbulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Great attack from Garry Dowling our best attacking fullback, Johnny Peck a great lock. Heaps at second row and Turvey doing his thing great days on the hill at Belmore

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Suburban grounds..virtually every season game was played at one..great atmosphere!

Major grounds were kept pretty much for semis and finals (SCG was GF!)..made the finals different some how from premiership round matches..sort of special because each team didn't hold a home town advantage..it was neutral territory.. Anyway I used to think that as a kid..

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The first game I ever watched was the 1985 GF. My best mate who was a Dragons supporter was hyped all week about it and wanted to watch it together. I was deciding who to support and my dad said he supported the Bulldogs so I followed my dad against my best mate. Best decision I ever made.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
98 semi against the Eels, was the sweetest comeback of all time =)
^ I threw the remote at the TV at half time and got told I couldn't watch the second half (I was 14). Mum didn't mind that I ended up watching the second half but really got the shits when I accidentally knocked the clock off the wall with my football when that kick hit the crossbar and went in.

Geez I was a little shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.