Opinion Pre Season Training

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We had the cattle in 2012 then des didn’t have a plan B in the GF and Bellamy schooled him.
Certainly didn’t have a plan B in the Grand Final. Bellamy parked Dane Nielsen in-our backline, right in the channel where Barba and JMOZ (our biggest threats) were going to attack. Nielsen was so far offside most of the time he could have shaken hands with JMOZ. I was screaming at Tony Archer the entire game to penalise him. But Archer imho was the most overrated referee to ever get to number one and did nothing.

Bellamy knew this and got away with it.

Des had to come up with a different tactic to get them into the game, but did nothing.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
New coach usually brings out the best in a talented team,
but what did des do in 2013?
He started to dismantle a GF team and bought shit coaching staff from manly and shit players to replace them.
Barba
Fanucain
Ennis
Graham
Frank the tank
Kasiano
And can’t remember who else for now.
The big wuss that was TREX Came in 2013.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
New coach usually brings out the best in a talented team,
but what did des do in 2013?
He started to dismantle a GF team and bought shit coaching staff from manly and shit players to replace them.
Barba
Fanucain
Ennis
Graham
Frank the tank
Kasiano
And can’t remember who else for now.
What does 2013 have to do with anything? All I'm saying is that Hasler has improved every team that he's coached the first year that he coaches them. Everything else is irrelevant.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don't rate them.

Hb isn't great, best players on long term contracts and we have all seen how players lose their hunger on long contracts.

And I don't think todays Hasler is a step backwards in coaching.

Tanner Boyed isn't great. Verrills is an average hooker, Fifita can be very lazy, Foran is a year older and their 2024 recruitment was poor, although I think Smith-Shields will develop into a very good FG player.
I don't know, I think they're forward pack is one of the best in the game and Des will get enough out of everyone else to push for the 8. Des is still a better coach than most, just needs to stick to that, coaching.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Certainly didn’t have a plan B in the Grand Final. Bellamy parked Dane Nielsen inour backline, right in the channel where Barba and JMOZ (our biggest threats) were going to attack. Nielsen was so far offside most of the time he could have shaken hands with JMOZ. I was screaming at Tony Archer the entire game to penalise him. But Archer imho was the most overrated referee to ever get to number one and did nothing.

Des had to come up with a different tactic to get them into the game, but did nothing.
Yep 100% and desball didn’t change shit in the second half.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Even without the 2 props I think we can compete.
I really do think we will finish 9th.
I hope we make the 8. Hopefully no smashings like last season.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What does 2013 have to do with anything? All I'm saying is that Hasler has improved every team that he's coached the first year that he coaches them. Everything else is irrelevant.
2012 new coach new team
2013 same coach same team
Think about it.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We went from spoon to 15th with an extra team in the comp how is that regression?
This year will finish higher and remember our bet you will have to leave the kennel.
Dogggg we went from 12th in 2022 with -192 pts differential to 15th in 2023 wit -332 pts differential. That is steep regression. And mick potter was the only reason we got as high as 12th in 2022

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dogggg we went from 12th in 2022 with -192 pts differential to 15th in 2023 wit -332 pts differential. That is steep regression. And mick potter was the only reason we got as high as 12th in 2022
So now it’s potter that got us 12th spot what about his record of 5 win 12 losses?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Certainly didn’t have a plan B in the Grand Final. Bellamy parked Dane Nielsen in-our backline, right in the channel where Barba and JMOZ (our biggest threats) were going to attack. Nielsen was so far offside most of the time he could have shaken hands with JMOZ. I was screaming at Tony Archer the entire game to penalise him. But Archer imho was the most overrated referee to ever get to number one and did nothing.

The whole game I was yelling kick behind them, kick behind them. Will Chambers was rushing up on Morris all game.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
2012 new coach new team
2013 same coach same team
Think about it.
But what does that have to do with the Titans improving this year over last year?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The whole game I was yelling kick behind them, kick behind them. Will Chambers was rushing uo on Morris all game.
I was yelling kick behind too, it probably wouldn’t have worked. Slater was playing very shallow behind the line and was super quick. Bellamy knew there would be few penalties in the game. Took the punt and got away with it.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was yelling kick behind too, it it probably wouldn’t have worked. Slater was playing very shallow behind the line and was super quick. Bellamy knew there would be few penalties in the game. Took the punt and got away with it.
It would've worked. Plenty of times Slater was on the opposite side of the field & there was no one behind.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know, I think they're forward pack is one of the best in the game and Des will get enough out of everyone else to push for the 8. Des is still a better coach than most, just needs to stick to that, coaching.
link: - NRL 2024, Gold Coast Titans, Round 1 team, best 17, predicted squad, analysis, signings, injuries, updates | NRL.com

Predicted Round 1 team
  1. Jayden Campbell
  2. Alofiana Khan-Pereira
  3. AJ Brimson
  4. Brian Kelly
  5. Phil Sami
  6. Kieran Foran
  7. Tanah Boyd
  8. Moeaki Fotueika
  9. Sam Verrills
  10. Keenan Palasia
  11. David Fifita
  12. Beau Fermor
  13. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
  14. Chris Randall
  15. Jaimin Jolliffe
  16. Isaac Liu
  17. Joe Stimson
To me that is a decent forward pack but I wouldn't rate it as one of the best.

Also to me Stimpson off the bench shows a lack of depth.

Kellys defence at centre is also suspect.

There just seems to be a lot of question marks.

I know there is a lot of love still for Hasler (@Freakzilla ) but to me he just seems past it.

Time will tell, I have been wrong before.

Once.