Opinion Pre Season Training

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it true some of the props have bulked up ?
I personally wouldnt say bulked, more leaner and fitter.

Kingy is looking great, Knight looking as fit as I have ever seen him, Hughes is different species this year and RFM ready for redemption. Our backrow is close to top shelf...

@diddly Just a shame Sutto and Patolo aren't running yet but they look desperate and getting amongst it rather than cruising the sidelines.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Love reading this sort of stuff. I’ve got visions of Curran belting Moses in round 1 and endearing himself to bulldog supporters straight away.
Your comment makes me think about Beetson’s hit early on, in 1980 first origin. Set the tone and inspired his team for future games and the series. Ie QLD were in it to win!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't place the same emphasis as I used to on for and against since the six again rule kicked in. It just blows out score lines like crazy, because even the fittest of teams get exhausted when hammered with set restarts.

Since when have we seen 74 to 0 like the Cowboys v Tigers score line last season? I can answer that, it's in fact the highest score blow out since 1935, and it's hardly the only one, we copped a couple. In general if you look at the games or the play by plays there's strong indicator of a score blow out when one team cops a number of repetitive set restarts early in the game. For example in the Parramatta game we copped 4 set restarts in the 1st 20 mins, any wonder we ran out of petrol.

Always a Bulldog
Hence why a mobile team is as crucial as ever and we definitely have that this year.. We also have decent depth so even if we get injuries we wont be fielding debutants rather fringe first graders pushing hard like Edwards and Morrin.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love reading this sort of stuff. I’ve got visions of Curran belting Moses in round 1 and endearing himself to bulldog supporters straight away.

The biggest hit yesterday was Hughes on Rajab... Flew out of the line and put the kid in the bleaches. Hughes, Kiks and Curran out there on missions....

Contact! We love it!

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
@KLil any idea what time they are training tomorrow and is it on the outer field like last year?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hence why a mobile team is as crucial as ever and we definitely have that this year.. We also have decent depth so even if we get injuries we wont be fielding debutants rather fringe first graders pushing hard like Edwards and Morrin.
I'm not sure "mobility" is the answer, it maybe one of the answers. For example if you are getting steamrolled by bigger stronger opposition then it doesn't matter how mobile you are. Same as if you are getting your ass handed to in six agains, once the petrol runs out then you aren't mobile any more.

You are correct on the not "fielding debutants" that's one of the reasons behind the recruiting strategy.

Always a Bulldog

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Im excited because we are heading in the right direction. I dont think we are finals footy bound yet but we will be MUCH more competitive.

People saying top 4, top 8, top 10, truth is we would be winning if we are losing games to top 8 teams by no more than 10 points and maybe even jagging a few upsets.

Honestly the only thing i can see wrong (hoping CC picks the right line-up) is the fact guys like Sutto and Patolo arent running yet. I know your going to say they're average as anyway but they're still bigger cogs which would have made us slightly better.
I’m writing off Patolo for good. The fact he is injured in yet another fuckn pre season…

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure "mobility" is the answer, it maybe one of the answers. For example if you are getting steamrolled by bigger stronger opposition then it doesn't matter how mobile you are. Same as if you are getting your ass handed to in six agains, once the petrol runs out then you aren't mobile any more.

You are correct on the not "fielding debutants" that's one of the reasons behind the recruiting strategy.

Always a Bulldog
Mobility means more numbers in tackles hence cutting down opposition yardage meters. You'll see what i mean when u see the new tackling techniques, line speed and attitude to defense.

In saying that still wary about on line defense...

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I personally wouldnt say bulked, more leaner and fitter.

Kingy is looking great, Knight looking as fit as I have ever seen him, Hughes is different species this year and RFM ready for redemption. Our backrow is close to top shelf...

@diddly Just a shame Sutto and Patolo aren't running yet but they look desperate and getting amongst it rather than cruising the sidelines.
Overall it's music to my ears !
As far as bulking up I meant muscle, it is absolutely necessary to make an impact going forward as a prop,
Prime example, all the top notch props are similarly huge, relatively skinnier ones don't always cut the mustered !

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m writing off Patolo for good. The fact he is injured in yet another fuckn pre season…
Such a shame tbh... good kid and was the bolter last year for bench spot. Worst case scenario he'll be good to go mid season if needed.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Overall it's music to my ears !
As far as bulking up I meant muscle, it is absolutely necessary to make an impact going forward as a prop,
Prime example, all the top notch props are similarly huge, relatively skinnier ones don't always cut the mustered !
Its true... the top props are animals which sadly we dont have any of but hopefully we have hard hitting hard workers aka Dogs forwards gone by.

In recent history we almost and did make make GF's with front rows of Hannant/Hogdson and Tolman/Graham... Honestly theyre are not Haas/Carrigan or Leota/JFH rather hardnosed hardworkers.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't place the same emphasis as I used to on for and against since the six again rule kicked in. It just blows out score lines like crazy, because even the fittest of teams get exhausted when hammered with set restarts.

Since when have we seen 74 to 0 like the Cowboys v Tigers score line last season? I can answer that, it's in fact the highest score blow out since 1935, and it's hardly the only one, we copped a couple. In general if you look at the games or the play by plays there's strong indicator of a score blow out when one team cops a number of repetitive set restarts early in the game. For example in the Parramatta game we copped 4 set restarts in the 1st 20 mins, any wonder we ran out of petrol.

Always a Bulldog
Ok.. why did we cop the set restarts?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great reports @KLil ... We appreciate the detail and info.. What role does it seem like Mann will be? I know it's hard to tell from certain drills but I was thinking he'd be used as a smaller roving middle forward?

I'm like you, I think Mann will be one of our signings of the season for how little he costs, how hard he plays and covers in defence and the versatility he provides. Fans will grow to love him.. He'll give maximum effort every game as will Curran who I also love the signing of. It's good to hear that they're putting their stamp on the team, especially Curran as the enforcer that we've missed for years..

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Didnt Tigers smash Cowboys by 60 and a few weeks later Cowboys did the same to the Tigers - momentum from 6 agains can blow scores out

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Great reports @KLil ... We appreciate the detail and info.. What role does it seem like Mann will be? I know it's hard to tell from certain drills but I was thinking he'd be used as a smaller roving middle forward?

I'm like you, I think Mann will be one of our signings of the season for how little he costs, how hard he plays and covers in defence and the versatility he provides. Fans will grow to love him.. He'll give maximum effort every game as will Curran who I also love the signing of. It's good to hear that they're putting their stamp on the team, especially Curran as the enforcer that we've missed for years..
He said lock. Don't know how any of you rate him though :expressionless:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He said lock. Don't know how any of you rate him though :expressionless:
Hustle baby. We need workers and heart.. Mann will bust his ass every week and he can play above his size and help make us more of a threat in attack as he's a good ball runner.. I think a combination of Curran and Mann at lock will be better than people think.