Potential Five-Eight solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hypothetically - if the Sharks DO sign Carney.. I would seriously consider looking at one of their halves (aside from Robson). Surely one of them will look for a contract elsewhere, and I would definitely jump at the opportunity of signing any one of them!

They have 3 good young halves in Chad Townsend, Albert Kelly and Wade Graham.

Thoughts?

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Hypothetically - if the Sharks DO sign Carney.. I would seriously consider looking at one of their halves (aside from Robson). Surely one of them will look for a contract elsewhere, and I would definitely jump at the opportunity of signing any one of them!

Thoughts?

The Sharks have come out and firmly denied that they're interested in Carney.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Even if they dont sign Carney, they have Robson, Kelly, Graham, Townsend. Robson can possibly play hooker but they have De Gois. So they probably will need to get rid of one eventually. Most likely Kelly.

I would rather a Graham but if Kelly was offloaded, we would like have two Barba's in our team which could be bad for defence, as they are both very small.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would love Townsend.

Would also solve our GK "crisis"

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
no thanks to any sharks players, they dont fit in with our culture and end up being dud players on the field.. case in point, brett howland, and michael sullivan

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wade Graham's future seems to be in the back row. I'd really only want to take Chad Townsend.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw Wade Graham at the manly game a few weeks back. Good mates with Franky.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wade Graham's future seems to be in the back row. I'd really only want to take Chad Townsend.
I guess he would work playing there, similar player to a John Sutton in some assets of his game. Not sure how good is defence is though.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no thanks to any sharks players, they dont fit in with our culture and end up being dud players on the field.. case in point, brett howland, and michael sullivan
Howland was an attrocious defender

Mick Sullivan had Ennis in front of him, and he covered well in that game Ennis was away on Rep duties V Warriors in 09.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
reynolds ... romelo?
Dont think Romelo will be cited as a future five eight. I think we plaeyd him in there in the last few rounds to see whether he was worth offering a contract for next season (for depth). It didnt really come off, although he did look sharp at times, his lack of distribution is what killed him. Reynolds played hooker while Ennis was gone. The funny thing I find is that, Romelo is a natural hooker and Reynolds is a natural half. Yet we had them playing FG in the others position.

I think they are trying to see who would best suit the position coming into next season. Still hope we keep Romelo - especially for Origin period!

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i agree.

i wouldnt be adverse to see reynolds get the first shot at 6 for us next year when we have a fully fit team.

CRAZY BULLDOG FAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
why did we even let aiden sizer go to the gold coast titans thats gonna hurt us down the track dont know bout anyone else but i seen him as our future 5/8 his a gun player and could kick goals whosever idea was to let him go was the worst decision since letting thurston go.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Albert Kelly recently signed for an extra 3 years, and Townsend for an extra 2.

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love you to explain exactly what our "culture" is these days. It certainly isn't what it was before 2004

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can't / won't get Carney then Wade Graham will do for the time being

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why did we even let aiden sizer go to the gold coast titans thats gonna hurt us down the track dont know bout anyone else but i seen him as our future 5/8 his a gun player and could kick goals whosever idea was to let him go was the worst decision since letting thurston go.
because the titans threw stupid money at him. ive heard 200-250k which is insane for an unproven player which wont see NRL for probably another year. also he has an attitude problem according to this place.

you cant keep every player in every single circumstance. good move by the dogs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It'd be nice if for once we could produce some players of our own and not have to look to buy from other clubs for panic, desperate and band-aid solutions. That is the real problem here and even the good ones we do have end up not materialising (probably because of shocking coaching at all levels, how does Patmore still have a job?) or them having bucket loads of cash thrown at them by the Titans and having a bad attitude.

We really need to do what Brisbane, Canberra, the Warriors and co do so successfully and that is produce good young NRL standard players and a fair few rep level players from within. Why are we the only club that fails to produce these kids regularly and even when we do, they are filled with flaws and problems in their game? Whereas the players from other clubs that get thrown in are much, much more technically sound and physically ready.

Again, this is the real issue at our club and one which doesn't look any closer to being solved or even being addressed which concerns me greatly as to the leadership at our club and if they really have a clue.

C

chipandchase

It'd be nice if for once we could produce some players of our own and not have to look to buy from other clubs for panic, desperate and band-aid solutions. That is the real problem here and even the good ones we do have end up not materialising (probably because of shocking coaching at all levels, how does Patmore still have a job?) or them having bucket loads of cash thrown at them by the Titans and having a bad attitude.

We really need to do what Brisbane, Canberra, the Warriors and co do so successfully and that is produce good young NRL standard players and a fair few rep level players from within. Why are we the only club that fails to produce these kids regularly and even when we do, they are filled with flaws and problems in their game? Whereas the players from other clubs that get thrown in are much, much more technically sound and physically ready.

Again, this is the real issue at our club and one which doesn't look any closer to being solved or even being addressed which concerns me greatly as to the leadership at our club and if they really have a clue.
the area which we have is not that large when you compare to canberra, illawarra, newcastle, penrith and parra. Is it mainly made of non australian/islander backgrounds also which doesnt help also.
this is not a club management issue in my mind.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
the area which we have is not that large when you compare to canberra, illawarra, newcastle, penrith and parra. Is it mainly made of non australian/islander backgrounds also which doesnt help also.
this is not a club management issue in my mind.
It's a fair point but were guys like Alex Glenn, Gerard Beale and Josh Hoffman Queenslanders or were they brought across from NZ as teenagers to play for Brisbane? It's the latter.

Manly got Foran from NZ, Cherry-Evans from QLD and even Hodkinson who is by far worse than Cherry-Evans who looks an Origin player, from Cabramatta.

We're a long, long way behind in coaching and recruitment it's not even funny. It's been like that for a decade now. We used to be right up there with the best, most professional clubs. Now it seems like no one at the club has much of a clue as to what they are doing and where the club should be headed.

What's our recruitment department doing in that regard? Taupau looks the goods as does Kasiano but compared to other clubs we have a small percentage of kids coming through making the impact that they do at other clubs entrenched in the top 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.