Post Match discussion

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I see Reynolds still has a habit of running across field and running is outside backs out of space. Square up son.

Last edited:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Corey Waddell probably won't be playing any first grade at the Dogs this year. Look for him to be released (my thoughts). With Kikau, RFM, Preston, Davey, Morrin etc, he's well down the pecking order. I noticed that all game he was the only one who made a really bad defensive read that led to a Raiders try (theirs third). Clearly it's something CC has worked on all pre-season long and he just can't help himself.
I hope you’re right about Waddell. My concern is that he’s a panthers junior and was reportedly going great in the lower grades. I hope that’s not used to justify his selection when he has been so poor over the last 2 years

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Waddell played a blinder. He is very much underappreciated at the Dogs (isn't that right Trent? :tonguewink:)
Now that he has fallen well out of the top 17 here, it would be an injustice to see him running around in reggies.
A player of his quality is a cert for the Eels Top 17 (probably a starter actually).
Over to you Asst.-Coach Barrett. You know what to do. Tap Brad on the shoulder, give Gus a call, and make it happen!

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stake in the ground ...

Its just a trial mate, let's not get carried away.

Good start to the year demonstrating good attitude and commitment. Really pleased.

But, we need to keep ourselves in check as '23 is about '24 more than anything else. A year to prepare and to get ourselves in a good place for the future.

Good start but all of this "stake in the ground" stuff is a little over the top.
Well piss off until 24 then this is about now 23!

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you’re right about Waddell. My concern is that he’s a panthers junior and was reportedly going great in the lower grades. I hope that’s not used to justify his selection when he has been so poor over the last 2 years
Nah, I think he's cooked. CC seems extremely high on defense and players buying in to structures that are non-negotiable (Mason was talking about this on a YKTR podcast recently). I think it was Raiders 4th try - their half threw a dummy and run 30m to score. Waddell fell for the dummy and left his man. Few of the boys had a look at him like WTF was that and his head was down. It just summed up the last 2 years under Barrett. How many times did he make these mistakes in games and he got picked week after week.

It definitely does not help Waddell that Preston had a perfect game, Davey looked great aside from that dropped ball, Topine and Morrin did their jobs.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Was stoked with our discipline as a team on first watch. Just started a rewatch and I'm even more impressed given how far back some of the "10m" were. Hopefully increases in fitness and attentiveness of the Ciraldo era will bring an end to us routinely losing penalty/set-restart counts.
1676262581859.png

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Waddell played a blinder. He is very much underappreciated at the Dogs (isn't that right Trent? :tonguewink:)
Now that he has fallen well out of the top 17 here, it would be an injustice to see him running around in reggies.
A player of his quality is a cert for the Eels Top 17 (probably a starter actually).
Over to you Asst.-Coach Barrett. You know what to do. Tap Brad on the shoulder, give Gus a call, and make it happen!
He recruited Doorey and Lumelume. Waddell would be perfect for them!

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was stoked with our discipline as a team on first watch. Just started a rewatch and I'm even more impressed given how far back some of the "10m" were. Hopefully increases in fitness and attentiveness of the Ciraldo era will bring an end to us routinely losing penalty/set-restart counts.
View attachment 65151
Haha thats deadset almost 15m!

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kikau will just slot into the left edge, as will Addo Carr. I hope the same for Burton.

I am not sure about TPJ and how he fits in. I loved seeing guys like Preston, Sutton and Max King - hard workers, got the job done. I am praying TPJ has let go of all his laziness last season into this season and is ready to roll his sleeves up and work hard for the team.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give him a chance to show what he’s got with a team he’s trained with all summer, not a team thrown together in 5 days
I wouldnt be concerned about Hayze. Defensively his positional play was great. He had some moments in that game, but clearly playing with a bunch of blokes that probably only had 1 training session all week didnt help. He will be fine!

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 65151
For the past several years we were our own worst enemies and played some really dumb and totally undisciplined football, on first glance those days now seem behind us...

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Nah, I think he's cooked. CC seems extremely high on defense and players buying in to structures that are non-negotiable (Mason was talking about this on a YKTR podcast recently). I think it was Raiders 4th try - their half threw a dummy and run 30m to score. Waddell fell for the dummy and left his man. Few of the boys had a look at him like WTF was that and his head was down. It just summed up the last 2 years under Barrett. How many times did he make these mistakes in games and he got picked week after week.

It definitely does not help Waddell that Preston had a perfect game, Davey looked great aside from that dropped ball, Topine and Morrin did their jobs.
it was very poor defense from waddel.
the most impressive part of the game for me was their line speed, we havnt had that pack mentality for years, very impressive.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was very poor defense from waddel.
the most impressive part of the game for me was their line speed, we havnt had that pack mentality for years, very impressive.
I am glad you noticed too mate. It pissed me off. Gave me 2020-2022 vibes... just lazy and taking the easy option.