OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Thread | Bulldogs 16 - 20 Souths

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's the dilemma. I think it's worth a go though. Hutch is just too plodding in attack for a NRL halfback.
It’s a tough call for Ciraldo, and it’s got fuck all to do with having the balls or any of the other shit I have seen on here about picking the right players to help our guys busting their guts like they are three year olds crap, He simply doesn’t want to chop and change our halves combos especially when the ‘cure’ could be worse than the disease and I fully understand that, I wouldn’t like to be in that spot so whatever he does I am happy to roll with for this year.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes u hignlited in yr post side ways running and I relised it annoys me also, specially when he ran straight last week and Taafe scores.
From the start of the year I have said we can’t keep playing Mahony for 80 mins, But I get why he’s playing him that way, I think he’s waiting for Hayward to be FG ready, I am hoping we see him soon in FG in the 14 jersey coming on in the second 20 of halves after the sting has gone out of the defence, Hayward is a natural attacking DH IMO he is very direct when he runs the ball and engages defenders which creates Time and space outside him.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends. Plant Sexton next to Kikau.
Then everyone will be bitching that Kiks is missing tackles and has “regressed’ under Ciro. lol
You can’t hide a weak defensive half in today’s game bro especially not in our side.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Then everyone will be bitching that Kiks is missing tackles and has “regressed’ under Ciro. lol
You can’t hide a weak defensive half in today’s game bro especially not in our side.
Sexton defended at 89% for us in 2023:
8 games, 172/193 = 2.62 misses a game, given that our team was completely fucked, that's not too bad, especially when you have Okunbur outside you.

To put that in comparison this is the tackle efficiency for all the halfbacks in 23' season / finals series.
Reynolds 89%
Hughes 87%
Cleary 88%
Johnson 91%
Hynes 91%
Hastings 92%
Fogarty 89%

Obviously they all played more games than Sexton, but they were also in way better teams. It's also worth noting that Johnson is equal second place and never really been noted as a defender... Maybe it's that Ciraldo defensive system that Warriors coach utilised. Either way I think Sexton deserves benefit of the doubt with a more committed squad around him.

Last edited:

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I noticed between Knight and Hughes they only played 28 min (14 each) and King played 54min. Knight and Hughes only managed 18 tackles and 65 meters between them. KIng managed 37 tackles and 141 meters with 3 tackle busts.

So it seems we really only had 80 minutes worth of one prop during the whole game. There would have had to be fairly long stints without two recognised props during the game.

Salmon played 68 minutes but didn't seem to do much with the ball with onlt 72 meters but did have 31 tackles. He also missed 6 tackles. By comparison Curren played 10 minutes less at 58 min but ran 137 meters, 1 offload, 29 tackles and only missed 1. Mann played 52 min with 107 meters and 27 tackles missing none and had 3 tackle breaks.

So I reckon we could drop Salmos in place of another prop and get Mann and Curren to play lock. Perhaps a third prop who can also play second row like say Tetevano or Patolo or even Kautoga just to beef up our pack a bit.

Also keep Tracy in the team no matter where with stats like 3 tackle breaks, 2 line breaks, 1 offload, 216 run meters and 2 tries.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The positive is, that this likely sees Souffs have to endure their coach for a few more years.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I said that from day one... Then I changed my mind after I saw he wasn't the biggest bloke in the pack during pre season.

Now after 4 rounds you can see how suited he is in the middle...

Time to swap him up with Mann. I reckon Mann can do a better job at HB and Hutch can play Mann's role off the bench.
I never rated Mann but he’s been so good

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, Sexton straightens the attack and with that much good ball he’s prob converting at least one opportunity into points which would’ve been enough for the dub.

I’m stoked with the overall effort of the boys just frustrating knowing we should’ve iced the game. I knew we needed one more try in that first half (Morrin) …

As Maroon said, I can understand CC reluctance to make any changes this early in the season because of combinations etc plus touch wood we have only had one injury to a key player. If you compare that with this time last season we were on the brink of a season collapse

Yes, we need to address the attack but it’s no slit wrist time, season is still early and we have a connected and committed squad this season.

Enjoy the rest of your Easter break and despite what Berries thinks …God is good !

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if its been mentioned yet but we look super fit.

Going off past years, this is a massive improvement.

The fact that we only used 5 interchanges and had both Knight and Hughes play 14 minutes each alot of our other "big" boys put in big minutes.

Idk if I am impressed that we have two guys we only utilise for 14 minutes - like what is the point. If we don't need them maybe we should put Sexton or Turpin on bench...
The way ciraldo is using our forwards/backwards, our only good middle King will be busted by round 10, then the score blow outs will start.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The way ciraldo is using our forwards/backwards, our only good middle King will be busted by round 10, then the score blow outs will start.
Too much is required of our forwards when we don't have a decent halves pairing to make easier yardage or points. They are putting in and deserve to have functioning halves and a functioning bench rotation to share more of the workload.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Definitely. With our forwards playing such limited minutes off bench too, there potential to play an outside back on bench. Hughes and knight not big mins. Could of dropped one of bench completely
It would appear CC has one game plan. Agree, better placed to have a back on the bench if the game plan was to play Knight and Hughes for 28 minutes combined. Knight didn’t do anything too wrong - why didn’t he get another 15 mins.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO the attack is stifled more having too many ball players - or players try to ball play - Mann Salmon Hutchison Mahoney - going sideways. May as well play Mann or Taafe at half.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bro, all of us in the crowd were fkn fuming. I swear nearly every person in my section was screaming out "don't kick".
I think he should’ve waited for the kicking tee so he can kick it properly as time was stopped , it’s his preferred side and probably would’ve kicked it in , then we would’ve had the chance at a 2 point field goal.