OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After what knights did to us in the 2 games last year....and their recent record with us, im fearing this game more than any other - even Penrith.
Our defence would handle them a lot better this year. When we see full strength, I can see us beating these sides comfortably. Not so much now though given who will be missing

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just looking at the table and Dogs sit 14th at the moment. But the good think with that win is that we are on the same points (4) as all sides above us up to 8th. The other good thing is half the sides in the top 8 have already had a bye. So technically we are on the same points as all sides above us up to the top 4.

I think thats how important to win against the Roosters is regardless of how we won. It keeps our finals hopes alive as thats what every player wants to do.

Its been a strange start to the comp with lower sides from last season winning like the Dragons and Tigers and with top sides like Roosters and Souths performing badly. It seems more open comp so far. But its a long season.

But I still think if we can jag another 2 if not 3 wins in this first half of the comp we may be in at least with a shot at trying to get into the 8 or come close. Two wins plus the bye would give us 10 points and if 24 or 26 is the cut off then we would need to win around half our games in the second half of the comp. I expect we will do well during SOO with other teams missing platers. Our for ans against is not too bad either compared to other teams.

I think we will be a better side in the second half of the comp with more experience and cohesion. Hopefully Fifita is ready to go and with him and Hughes up front and more confidence I think we can at least make it hard for other teams to make the 8.
I would think you will need 30 points to make the top 8 this year especially if it is more even.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think you will need 30 points to make the top 8 this year especially if it is more even.
Yes for sure. In 25 round seasons the cut-off was typically 30 points. This season with 27 rounds I’d say it would be 32 or 34 points minimum

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes for sure. In 25 round seasons the cut-off was typically 30 points. This season with 27 rounds I’d say it would be 32 or 34 points minimum
Can only see another 8 or 9 wins in this year's draw at best.
Of course it's not possible to predict the future.
We don't for example how many games Sutton will officiate.
But another 12-13 wins does seem challenging.
They're doing a great job though and hopefully keep a couple of season tickets can be justified for 2025.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did we use our captains challenge?? Can’t remember, if not wonder if it was a ploy.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Did we use our captains challenge?? Can’t remember, if not wonder if it was a ploy.
Ploy to achieve what? Show we trust the refs and bunker? Lol

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck.... to say I was angry with our team in the second half would be an understatement.

But on reflection you can see how the roosters were able to dominate us all things considered.

The main thing was mental.
At 26 to nill up, against a team who lost their star fullback to a head knock, a player sent off and a halfback off also with a head knock it would have been very easy for the dogs to mentally drop off and essentially check out.
No doubt in their minds they had the game won and was just going through the motions.

On the other side, the roosters, on the back of Luke Keary in my opinion, went out with the intent to claw back some pride.
They had it all to play for and managed to get momentum despite being a man down and losing 2 key players to head knocks.

Once they got momentum they were hard to stop and got the dogs on the back foot
When that happens, the mistakes creep in and the 6 agains mount and that fuels the momentum.

What the roosters game identified more than any game previously is the simple fact we don't have a true leader in our team.

We need a dominate halfback who reads the game and sets up the plays.

Luke Keary got the roosters in that game against all odds.
We couldn't change momentum because we didn't have a player in our team capable of doing it.

To further ram home this point.
This is the reason the roosters got rid of Mitch Pearce for Cooper cronk.
The 2 premierships the roosters managed were on the back of cronk.

The state of origin dominance from Queensland, was on the back of superior halves and game management, to change momentum and ice the wins when it counted.

The origin win last year when the blues had it won and Queensland cane from behind to win with a man down, was on the back of smart plays identify what needed to happen I'm the moment.

For all the talk about who the coach should pick and shouldng pick from arm chair coaches here on the kennel, I tell you this.

Until we get a REAL halfback, we won't be climbing up the ladder.

Our current squad is not far off.
Taafe despite the criticism from those that don't know what they are talking about is actually developing well at fullback.
Barba dropped plenty of balls early on at fullback, just remember that.
I think taafe will be fine at fullback long term.
Critta is one of the best centres in the game. He should remain there.

Burton is a great 5 8th, just needs a good halfback running the game and Burton with thrive at 5 8th on the back of that.

Another front rower would be nice.

But halfback is where its at.
We need a smart game manager on the field who knows how to win games and can execute plays and controll a game.
We simply don't have that.
a halfback would transform this side. But after missing out on some big names we’re just going to have nurse one through the grades. May be years away unfortunately.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Poster mentioned other week, that once we lose our challenge, sometimes quite early. The ref can then go as hard as he wants on us, as we can’t challenge him. It’s not a bad ploy unless ur 100% right, to just hang onto it
Ok yes that makes total sense. Thanks for explaining that tactic.
We need to keep it up our sleeves to counter the bias refs.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lol just watching a replay and in the 71st minute Manu loses ball after Burton stands up from the tackle and knocks it out. Robinson stands up in the box slams his hand on the Glass and screams multiple times “Fucking Cheats” :tongueclosed:
The fucking Hypocrisy of that cahunt calling us Cheats is mind blowing.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poster mentioned other week, that once we lose our challenge, sometimes quite early. The ref can then go as hard as he wants on us, as we can’t challenge him. It’s not a bad ploy unless ur 100% right, to just hang onto it
In the first 60mins, you should only use it if you are certain the ref has made a clanger..its not even worth it on a 50-50 call, unless it is critical on the scoreboard.

For it to be critical on the scoreboard, it must be when the other team is about to go up by more than 14 points.

Otherwise, there is no reason to use it inside 60min mark.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol just watching a replay and in the 71st minute Manu loses ball after Burton stands up from the tackle and knocks it out. Robinson stands up in the box slams his hand on the Glass and screams multiple times “Fucking Cheats” :tongueclosed:
The fucking Hypocrisy of that cahunt calling us Cheats is mind blowing.
I lip read him saying "Thats Bullshit"
He said it twice.

Truth is, if they still had their chsllenge left, they probably win that. Burton has his hand within Manu's grasp of the ball and it can be argued he played at it as he pulled his hand away. Im sure the bunker would have penalised us

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In the first 60mins, you should only use it if you are certain the ref has made a clanger..its not even worth it on a 50-50 call, unless it is critical on the scoreboard.

For it to be critical on the scoreboard, it must be when the other team is about to go up by more than 14 points.

Otherwise, there is no reason to use it inside 60min mark.
That in its self tells you the game is compromised!

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That in its self tells you the game is compromised!
I guess what im trying to say is dont waste it on a 50-50 call before the 60th minute as you have plenty of time to make up for even a 50-50 error.

Use it only if its a clanger that you're sure of overturning so that you retain your challenge towards the end where you cant possibly overcome a critical error

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I guess what im trying to say is dont waste it on a 50-50 call before the 60th minute as you have plenty of time to make up for even a 50-50 error.

Use it only if its a clanger that you're sure of overturning so that you retain your challenge towards the end where you cant possibly overcome a critical error
I know what you're saying. The mere fact you have to try and mitigate the clangers tells you its corrupt.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you're saying. The mere fact you have to try and mitigate the clangers tells you its corrupt.
I wouldn't go that far. Its a fast game. Refs just makes mistakes either because they arent in good position or things "look" a certain way and adjudicate accordingly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. Its a fast game. Refs just makes mistakes either because they arent in good position or things "look" a certain way and adjudicate accordingly.
Ok Graham :grinning:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we needed it.... For once we got the 50/50s

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I lip read him saying "Thats Bullshit"
He said it twice.

Truth is, if they still had their chsllenge left, they probably win that. Burton has his hand within Manu's grasp of the ball and it can be argued he played at it as he pulled his hand away. Im sure the bunker would have penalised us
I dont think so... Could easily be considered a loose carry as Burton just removes his hand rather than racking or playing at the ball.

Its a flip of a coin really.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Game changed when Taafe was sent off tbh. The shift in positions didn’t help forced our players to not play in their usual position and changed responsibilities = changed game play.
The change in combinations killed us yet still people want to rotate our entire spine.