Opinion Possible Bulldogs 17 for 2020

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I think Dean Britt will slot in at 2nd row ahead of Simone Katoa who will move to the bench. And Morgan harper to replace kerrod Holland.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My back 5 for 2020 - we have given Holland & Montoya enough chances, Meaney is to small imo ( i feel bad for him)
1. DWZ
2. R Smith
3. Hoppa
4. Harper
5. Okunbor

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
My back 5 for 2020 - we have given Holland & Montoya enough chances, Meaney is to small imo ( i feel bad for him)
1. DWZ
2. R Smith
3. Hoppa
4. Harper
5. Okunbor
Agree. Okunbor breaks the line and Meaney doesn't. Kick returns and starts to a set are so vital in todays game. Meaney can make meters but there is not real threat when he carts the ball up, much like Toleman plenty of meters and tackles but with zero intent

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Agree. Okunbor breaks the line and Meaney doesn't. Kick returns and starts to a set are so vital in todays game. Meaney can make meters but there is not real threat when he carts the ball up, much like Toleman plenty of meters and tackles but with zero intent
Meaney is small but he's smarter and faster with the footbal and finishes better than okunbar, and was very elusive at fullback. Okunber is bigger but is leaky in defence and not as smart. It's not all about size imo its brains

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Meaney is small but he's smarter and faster with the footbal and finishes better than okunbar, and was very elusive at fullback. Okunber is bigger but is leaky in defence and not as smart. It's not all about size imo its brains
That's fair. I see Meaney as a FB not so much as a a winger. I don't see Meaney as our long term winger tbh, he kinda just ended up there after we signed DWZ.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll throw one in the mix for the future, not many players of Italian decent make in the NRL for whatever reason, however in recent years Minichello and Tedesco have been 2 of the best full backs in the game, I'm fairly certain that Averillo is an Italian name so why couldn't he make a great FB.
He is of a similar build to both Mini and Tedesco and I'd say as fast as Tedesco, he seems to have a good passing game too, and at only 19 has plenty of time to learn.
THOUGHTS:

jacko1

New Pup
Reaction score
1) Dallin Watene Zelzniak
2) Nick Meaney
3) Reimis Smith
4) Will Hopoate
5) Jayden Okunbor
6) Jack Cogger
7) Lachlan Lewis
8) Aiden Tolman
9) Jeremy Marshall King
10) Dylan Napa
11) Joe Stimson
12) Corey Harawira Naera
13) Josh Jackson
14) Adam Elliott
15) Renouf To'omonga
16) Raymond Faitala Mariner
17) Dean Britt

MR SS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1) Dallin Watene Zelzniak
2) Nick Meaney
3) Reimis Smith
4) Will Hopoate
5) Jayden Okunbor
6) Jack Cogger
7) Lachlan Lewis
8) Aiden Tolman
9) Jeremy Marshall King
10) Dylan Napa
11) Joe Stimson
12) Corey Harawira Naera
13) Josh Jackson
14) Adam Elliott
15) Renouf To'omonga
16) Raymond Faitala Mariner
17) Dean Britt

This is most likely the team with katoa over britt

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll throw one in the mix for the future, not many players of Italian decent make in the NRL for whatever reason, however in recent years Minichello and Tedesco have been 2 of the best full backs in the game, I'm fairly certain that Averillo is an Italian name so why couldn't he make a great FB.
He is of a similar build to both Mini and Tedesco and I'd say as fast as Tedesco, he seems to have a good passing game too, and at only 19 has plenty of time to learn.
THOUGHTS:
Averillo is developing well and he is probably the most improved in the lower grades. He has speed, talent and is determined to play in the Nrl. However, At the moment there are a few players ahead of him: Montoya, Holland and Harper (centre position ) only because of first grade experience. For fullback he would be behind Meaney, dwz and Hoppa. I think jake is a big chance of making a debut at some point next season, but probably in the centres. especially if his form is good and/or if there is an injury crisis in the centre position.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why isn’t anyone talking about holland? One of the more experienced players in the squad now and 12 months ago nrl.com was talking about his stats at centre. I still have no idea why Deano split holland and Reimis. Not going to lie I thought holland was absolutely garbage in 2019. Lacked motivation, defensively vulnerable and just did not look like the holland of 2018.

But, I still rate holland above Montoya, Harper and Meaney.

My starting back 5 would be

1. Dwz 2. Meaney 3. Holland 4. Hoppa 5. Reimis

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why isn’t anyone talking about holland? One of the more experienced players in the squad now and 12 months ago nrl.com was talking about his stats at centre. I still have no idea why Deano split holland and Reimis. Not going to lie I thought holland was absolutely garbage in 2019. Lacked motivation, defensively vulnerable and just did not look like the holland of 2018.

Holland fell behind Montoya this year who isn't even a Centre. I'd be starting Reimis in the Centres (also allows us to fit in Okunbor on the Wing). I'd prefer to give Averillo or Harper a go over Montoya or Holland personally (I'll say this much Montoya and Holland shouldn't be in our plans for 2020 and beyond).

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham 7 averillo 6. Hoppa goes to left centre and paul allomoti, goes to right centre.
Reimis stays on wing. Theres your strongest backline. Imo

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change my mind every week, but id like to see these young guys get a go.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My worry with Okunbor is that he needs to get his kick reception up to scratch. At least with Meaney you're almost guaranteed to have a start to the set. Okunbor was a 50% chance of a handling error and a repeat set for the opposition in great position. His reception looked a bit better right before he was injured. But it's still a worry.

At his best Holland is a lively player. But I agree that he fell away from form a bit last year. The defence around him was brittle after having a Morris to rely on for the duration of his time here. I don't really know how our backline will look in round 1. I guess it's almost make or break time for Holland this year. We seem to have some talent in the lower grades ready to put pressure on to claim a spot in the 17. I just want quality in every position. I'm not going to feel bad for whoever misses out. There's a good opportunity for a number of players to stake a claim for positions ahead of 2021. After that, we'll potentially be more set for talent in a few positions and the path to a starting spot might have more obstacles.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wakeham 7 averillo 6. Hoppa goes to left centre and paul allomoti, goes to right centre.
Alamoti can't even play in the NRL lol

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dude, I drink copious amounts of Rare Bread and I am missing at least 16.4 marbles but really...?