Positives

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Despite a trial loss against a top 4 team that looks better than last season, there were some positives...

- Nu Brown made an impact as a running forward and then later at dummy half. He scored a try and his service was solid.. He showed his utility value.

- Alamoti looked more comfortable in FG and showed flashes. He has a shocking read for their first try but he recovered well and made several good reads and tackles after that, which is a good sign... He looked dangerous in attack.. He's a specimen that has a lot of ability.

- Skelton again showed his massive upside, even though it was garbage time again. The kick after breaking tackles for Reynolds try was freakish. He had a few other good runs. Surely he'll play wing or centre soon enough...

- Preston again was impressive and carried defenders, threatening to break through on most runs.. He's a big strong kid that is a handful to defend with the combo of his late footwork and size/strength..

- Pele made good impact again and should get a bench spot in week one.

- Reynolds provided a spark again. At some stage this year he'll do that in FG.. The cheers from the Belmore crowd despite being down 30-4 gave me chills and made me proud to be a Bulldog fan...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
On Preston what's peoples thoughts on him at lock ? Personally I'd like to see him there, played halves in juniors before and I think he would help Mahoney in the middle alot.

Been vocal on RFM being best suited to the bench and I'd rather Skelton get developed at the right edge backrower.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On Preston what's peoples thoughts on him at lock ? Personally I'd like to see him there, played halves in juniors before and I think he would help Mahoney in the middle alot.

Been vocal on RFM being best suited to the bench and I'd rather Skelton get developed at the right edge backrower.
I think Preston would handle lock well if and when he plays there. I agree RFM is better as a bench middle. I think Preston should start on the right. I'd love to see Skelton on the wing with Kiraz at centre.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t know how, but Skelton has to be in the 17. Covers back row and out wide. Personally, I’d be shifting Kiraz to centre and looking to bring Skelton into the centres in time.

Averillo and Perham both just marking time at FB until Crichton comes, and mind you, I’m not sold on Crichton at FB either….

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Despite a trial loss against a top 4 team that looks better than last season, there were some positives...

- Nu Brown made an impact as a running forward and then later at dummy half. He scored a try and his service was solid.. He showed his utility value.

- Alamoti looked more comfortable in FG and showed flashes. He has a shocking read for their first try but he recovered well and made several good reads and tackles after that, which is a good sign... He looked dangerous in attack.. He's a specimen that has a lot of ability.

- Skelton again showed his massive upside, even though it was garbage time again. The kick after breaking tackles for Reynolds try was freakish. He had a few other good runs. Surely he'll play wing or centre soon enough...

- Preston again was impressive and carried defenders, threatening to break through on most runs.. He's a big strong kid that is a handful to defend with the combo of his late footwork and size/strength..

- Reynolds provided a spark again. At some stage this year he'll do that in FG.. The cheers from the Belmore crowd despite being down 30-4 gave me chills and made me proud to be a Bulldog fan...
Spot on assessment. Exactly how I saw the game.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

They started well enough - had opportunities but lack of a half and a fullback doing just average things was the problem imho - i think from that frustration kicked in leading to mistakes. Sharks score three tries in 9 minutes - just before half time and just after.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I saw some positives in the first half but it’s hard to fkn look at them when overall performance was so shit. Going into another season without a 7 or 1 and with a 6 still fkn unsure of himself is a fkn depressing nightmare. I agree with all your positives in the OP

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started off ok, but became flat very quickly. That goes for the whole team. Not just for the "TK love to hate players".

This without doubt would have been from the training sessions leading into the trial.

Fairly sure (unless ciro is a complete f idiot) those intense training sessions won't be run in the 2 days leading into an nrl match.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Started off ok, but became flat very quickly. That goes for the whole team. Not just for the "TK love to hate players".

This without doubt would have been from the training sessions leading into the trial.

Fairly sure (unless ciro is a complete f idiot) those intense training sessions won't be run in the 2 days leading into an nrl match.
Would have been a big factor.

I think it was @KLil who said they got absolutely flogged at training on Saturday.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Game 1 vs the Raiders we completed at 90% and missed 1 tackle in the first half.

Game 2 vs the Peptides we completed sub 50% and gave away 6 against and penalties almost every set they had, and if we were better at our kick defence it would have been 1 try a piece.

If we play somewhere in the middle of the performances between trial 1 and 2, we will be in good stead. Sharks are a quality side. I was most proud about the fact we didn't back down when Mulitalo started to grub it up. Everyone had each others backs.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One thing I am hoping the coaches identified was our left edge. Burton was getting picked off at every opportunity and zero time and space to make plays. Perham was non-existant as an option on that edge and it was way too easy to defend. Teams know we have a 'lethal left edge' and can simply load up and crowd that corridor. More has to be done to give Burton the time and space to operate, as well as other options other than Kikau either inside or outside of him, with Alamoti and JAC stacked next to eachother within a 10m corridor. Perham should be there too as a threat, and Reed needs to make it not so obvious that we are going to go down that side when we do.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest positive is Thompson IMO. He has been an absolute beast defensively. The first half his line speed was awesome and he was hitting hard.

Still not sold on Alamoti in the centres. Looks more like backrower out of position.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thomo was good, fox was ripping into the players and when Josh came on the field the fans loved it.

Have to take it as it is and that’s a reality check for the team and we needed it the same way the panthers got theirs.

Facing a team like the sharks provided insight that a lower placed team wouldn’t have, I’d rather see it early then a round x when we face a top team.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Game 1 vs the Raiders we completed at 90% and missed 1 tackle in the first half.

Game 2 vs the Peptides we completed sub 50% and gave away 6 against and penalties almost every set they had, and if we were better at our kick defence it would have been 1 try a piece.

If we play somewhere in the middle of the performances between trial 1 and 2, we will be in good stead. Sharks are a quality side. I was most proud about the fact we didn't back down when Mulitalo started to grub it up. Everyone had each others backs.

Trial 1. Vs Canberra 3rd string
Trial 2 vs Full strength Cronulla