Ponder to possibilities of Brett Kearney as a Bulldog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
A little birdie has told me the Bulldogs are looking closely at former Cronulla sharks player Brett Kearney.

Kearney whos early career with South Sydney and Cronulla had his Australian football career cruelly affected by injuries to his foot and hand. He joined the Bradford Bulls in 2010 and until this season played most of the super league season each year.

Kearney has great utility value for the Dogs, having played half and 5/8th, hooker and for the Bulls predominantly Fullback.

Very importantly, he has not suffered any serious knee or ankle injuries.

2014 marks the end of his contract with Bradford and Kearney would like to return to Australian shores to finish his career here. I understand the Dogs are casting an eye over him because despite being 30, he is still one of the best Fullbacks in Super League with good speed, a great swerve and is the consummate backer upper al la Baa.

Last year, 2013, Kearney scored 10 tries in 10 games. Take a look at this You Tube video to see his speed, swerve and backing up abilities. Despite being slightly built he is a tough natural footballer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lqlp94ScpU

With Ennis's departure, the Bulldogs are looking at the possibilities of Kearneys experience and utility value as well, although it is at Fullback that the Dogs have identified Kearneys ability to sniff out a try and having a roving commission that provides the most value to the team.

The Dogs are only too aware that with the sudden loss of form of Barba last season that the team has lacked a genuine X factor.

Brett Kearney may be able to give the Dogs a couple of good years.

Before you write him off, take a look at the You Tube video and consider the fact that Billy Slater is 30 and no doubt has a couple more good years in him and Slater DOES have serious question marks over the ability of his knees to hold up. Im not comparing Kearney to superstar Slater. Im merely suggesting that a footballer is not necessarily washed up at 30.

Thoughts???

Im h

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We would be crazy to sign him, most of the recent signings and re-signings indicate des is building a team for the future and a team that will be together for a while, signing Kearney would be random and not exactly adding much to the side

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We would be crazy to sign him, most of the recent signings and re-signings indicate des is building a team for the future and a team that will be together for a while, signing Kearney would be random and not exactly adding much to the side
^^^^ This exactly. This would be a step in the wrong direction. There are so many better option out there.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Man there are of lot of players out there i have never heard of.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
GLENNDOGGIES talking about our club looking at Brett Kearney this closely in that fashion makes me sick to the stomach.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I would suggest he is cheap, and is being looked at for depth. I doubt he is expected to play first grade, but would be there to help guide Liccha in developing his skills. It would also mean you could probably source another young hooker to be developed in NSW Cup as well, so he assists in both players development.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Luke Patten isn't contracted to any team right now, and is only slightly older than Kearney......... if we're going shopping for fullbacks in the retirement village.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it would be a depth signing for the interim, not a long term main squad signing.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
GLENNDOGGIES talking about our club looking at Brett Kearney this closely in that fashion makes me sick to the stomach.
I can't believe he posted that, disgusting!

I too am sick to the stomach.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone want to tell Frank Pritchard to retire or find another team? He's 30 as well. Or to all those who currently harbor erections or harbored them after seeing the 32yo Maitua selected in the team again this week, please go tell him his time is up.

From the article it sounds like he'd suit our team well to be honest. We have a forward pack that can pop short balls like they got a bonus in their pay packet for each one and we are lacking in a fullback that is taking advantage of those opportunities. He's also played 5/8 so probably has a bit of playmaking ability. Kearney still has speed and this kind of instinct in support at 30 then why not think about a 1-2 year deal. Gives us 1-2 years to train/recruit a genuine superstar for the fullback role. A lot of good players will be up for new contracts between now and 2016. Not many are at the moment though. We need an attacking fullback and he looks like he will help in that department. If we recruit a better fullback in that time then we have depth for Hooker and 5/8 as well as Fullback.

After watching the clip you can see that he pops up in support on every half break and is just in position to finish a lot of plays. He accelerates fast and seemed quicker than most of his opposition in open space. He's not going to be the long term solution for our team, but he looked pretty good in that clip and i think he'd add to our attack.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would suggest he is cheap, and is being looked at for depth. I doubt he is expected to play first grade, but would be there to help guide Liccha in developing his skills. It would also mean you could probably source another young hooker to be developed in NSW Cup as well, so he assists in both players development.
There is no substitute for experience so I suppose this could happen. But the thing that struck me is that he plays half back, five eighth and fullback. Looking at what the Origin series did to us in the halves with Moses Mbye being injured, and now Sam Perritt is out injured if Brett Kearney comes cheap he could be looked at as a "low premium insurance policy".

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Future flop. Next.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone want to tell Frank Pritchard to retire or find another team? He's 30 as well. Or to all those who currently harbor erections or harbored them after seeing the 32yo Maitua selected in the team again this week, please go tell him his time is up.

From the article it sounds like he'd suit our team well to be honest. We have a forward pack that can pop short balls like they got a bonus in their pay packet for each one and we are lacking in a fullback that is taking advantage of those opportunities. He's also played 5/8 so probably has a bit of playmaking ability. Kearney still has speed and this kind of instinct in support at 30 then why not think about a 1-2 year deal. Gives us 1-2 years to train/recruit a genuine superstar for the fullback role. A lot of good players will be up for new contracts between now and 2016. Not many are at the moment though. We need an attacking fullback and he looks like he will help in that department. If we recruit a better fullback in that time then we have depth for Hooker and 5/8 as well as Fullback.

After watching the clip you can see that he pops up in support on every half break and is just in position to finish a lot of plays. He accelerates fast and seemed quicker than most of his opposition in open space. He's not going to be the long term solution for our team, but he looked pretty good in that clip and i think he'd add to our attack.
Great post Alan. Good to see that other people can string a couple of sentences together, take the time to watch the video clip and think logically at what our clubs goals might be both short term and long term. What many dim witted people on this forum fail to appreciate is that teams dont win premierships every year. Its not JUST about putting together a squad to win the premiership each year. Sometime thats just impossible to get all the right cattle.

We might have the best forward pack but cant win a title because we dont have a great fullback...then in 4 years time when we have developed a good fullback, half our forward pack is ready for retirement. No, the club looks at having a level of success. A successful season is making the top 4 in my books. Putting yourself in contention in the big end of season games.

For that reason, the versatility and experience that Brett Kearney would bring our side...especially NOW that we have the incumbent winning state of origin halves pairing who would most likely line up to defend the title next year...and his experience playing hooker and helping young Liccha along would be invaluable. Such players dont grow on trees and I applaud the Dogs for being proactive in this regard with a player seeking to come home with lots to offer still.

For anyone who couldnt be bothered looking at the clip of Kearney...please take a look now if only to see how he hasnt got strapping on his knees. Thats because he has never had knee problems. Name me player that can play half, 5/8, hooker or fullback that hasnt had knee problems and is still as good as Kearney on his feet!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm going to say this... but gun to my head between having this dude or Boyd - I'd rather Boyd.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kearney did ok at times but just isn't starting NRL quality.

Sorry if that isn't what you wanna hear.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Kearney is 30 years old, both his knees are shot, and he offers nothing over any other current fullback we have at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.