Police hope for quick arrest over Abdul Darwiche murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
POLICE have issued their first eye-witness description of the gunman responsible for the brazen shooting of alleged Sydney crime boss Abdul Darwiche.

It comes as Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Geoff Beresford, told The Daily Telegraph police were confident of an early arrest in the case and hoped this would avert any retribution for Saturday’s slaying at Bass Hill.

“We’re basically confident that this will be resolved sooner rather than later,’’ Det Supt Beresford said.

He said witnesses had described the gunman as being of Middle Eastern appearance, aged in his 20s, with short dark hair.

He was of solid build and was wearing a black t-shirt.

The car he sped off in was a silver Honda CRV.

Det Supt Beresford said police also had CCTV footage that was assisting them in piecing together the incident.

Darwiche, 37, who had been charged with but acquitted of the attempted murder of a member of a rival family during a series of drive-by shootings between 2001 and 2004, was gunned down in front of his wife, their four children and two other children outside a Subway restaurant.

Hundreds of mourners paid their respects to slain crime kingpin Abdul Qadier Darwiche at his funeral today.

His brother insists the murder was not drug or gang related.

Up to 300 men arrived at Sydney's Lakemba Mosque from early this morning for a short prayer ceremony.

Gallery: Where the drug boss was shot
Background: Lighting fuse of drug gangs war
Plus: Darwiche knew he was a target

After the body was washed, it was carried into the mosque for a 15-minute prayer session.

A short time ago the tapestry-covered coffin was led from the mosque. The funeral procession is now en route to Rookwood cemetery, where an imam will conduct the 45-minute formal service.

Acting on requests from Darwiche's family and community leaders, police agreed to release the body from Glebe Morgue earlier than usual following the autopsy.

Garde-Wilson: Gangland lawyer's lover sorry for Versace spray

Sheik al-Hilaly said the decision was made to minimise emotions surrounding Darwiche's death, rather than cultural reasons.

Police, fearing an escalation of violence today, continued to patrol the area.

Following midday prayers at the Mosque, over 500 mourners turned out to Rookwood cemetery to hear prayers for the dead from two Imams.

In the second of two speeches, Sheik Dr Fedaa Majzoub asked mourners to remain faithful to God and to be law abiding citizens, before the coffin was lowered into the ground.

Darwiche - named by police in 2007 as a the head of a criminal syndicate controlling drug networks across Sydney's southwest - was gunned down as he ate at a Bass Hill restaurant with his family about 3.30pm Saturday.

Sheik Hilaly told the Daily Telegraph he had spoken with Darwiche’s family last night and appealed to distressed friends and family not to take the law into their own hands.

"Leave things in the hands of the law," he said through an interpreter. "Let the police do their job. We do not live in a jungle.''

Sheik Hilaly said the public must be careful not to label the actions of a few hot-headed young men as representative of the Islamic community.

His death had nothing to do with the fact he was Muslim, he added.

Darwiche's brother Albert today said a well-documented feud with rival crime gang the Razzaks was not behind his brother’s death.

Abdul Darwiche was acquitted of the attempted murder of Farouk Frank Razzak three years ago. His other brother Adnan Darwiche is still serving a life sentence for the double murder of Ziad Razzak and a young mother who provided him safe haven during a drive-by shooting in Greenacre in 2003.

The Darwiche-Razzak war had been dead for years, Albert Darwiche said.

He said he expected some members of the Razzak family to arrive at the service today.

He added his brother's death was not gang or drug related.

"Who would shoot an unarmed man in front of his family?" he said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25194868-5001021,00.html

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who cares it was a crime boss, aim your forces against child killers

M

Mr Miyagi

LOL what comes around goes around.
they should just let them all gun eachother down.
it will solve the issue

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This story pissed me off heaps. Filthy people on both sides of the fence.

G

Gladiator.

i was like literally 2 streets away driving towards subway when it happened, all these cop cars starting pulling up, i thought i was gettin pulled over

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
my cousin was there at the time of the shooting... he didnt see it but he heard gun shots

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
I'm stunned at how brazen it was tbh. Unmasked, broad daylight, Sunday arvo. It would've had to have been from an earlier altercation if they were so nonchalant about it.

"Who would shoot an unarmed man in front of his family?" - umm a coward dog and a hectik

----------
On a side note...why does Hilaly still need a fkn interpreter ffs. He's been here for 35+ years, his daughter married an Anglo-Australian. Why don't ppl make an effort and learn the language, he should be 100% fluent. Same goes for any of us moving to Japan etc for that length of time, and our kid marries a jap. We choose to live there so we should assimilate somewhat.
/end rant.exe

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
the bloke was a reformed man. Yes he was a dealer but he has been off it now for a few years. Wanted to set a better example for his kids. Shame once your in, ur in it for life

DoggyGirl

>Sylvana
Reaction score
wipe each other out. They have all made their beds and now face the consequence of making a decision to live this type of lifestyle.

shindig

Waterboy
Reaction score
the bloke was a reformed man.

Shame once your in, ur in it for life
I wonder how many of the users that his product was sold too have been able to reform , I guess the "once your in , ur in for life" really rings true for them.

I also wonder the amount of people his family and crew have killed or injured are now reformed.

I wonder if the rocket launchers in his clans posession will ever be used to harm on a mass scale ( think Sri Lankan cricketers style ).

I wonder if the countless kids his crew recruited to sell his poison are reformed.

I wonder if his crew members doing time on his behalf will ever reform.

Sympathy , no f@#ken way.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
I'm stunned at how brazen it was tbh. Unmasked, broad daylight, Sunday arvo. It would've had to have been from an earlier altercation if they were so nonchalant about it.

"Who would shoot an unarmed man in front of his family?" - umm a coward dog and a hectik

----------
On a side note...why does Hilaly still need a fkn interpreter ffs. He's been here for 35+ years, his daughter married an Anglo-Australian. Why don't ppl make an effort and learn the language, he should be 100% fluent. Same goes for any of us moving to Japan etc for that length of time, and our kid marries a jap. We choose to live there so we should assimilate somewhat.
/end rant.exe

Spot on.

H

HarryHubert

I was in the vicinity of the area when it happened.

It shouldn't of happened. Apparently this has been going on for a few weeks now, with threats being made and the police possibly being aware of it all after warning Mr. Darwiche.

NSW Police is a joke. If the place descended into full blown anarchy they would still be sitting on their arse.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have known Abdul for years. He was not involved in his family's dealings. Sad he got dragged into this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have known Abdul for years. He was not involved in his family's dealings. Sad he go dragged into this.
Yes i know. Its a shame. These days even if you have nothign to do with it you could be a victim. My mate isnt allowed out of the house at night because he is related.

Maza

Reaction score
I feel sorry for the young ones who are involved by blood relation, not by choice

Status
Not open for further replies.