News PNG in ‘box seat’ to land 18th NRL licence by 2025 after Bears cop $11m hammer blow

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People can like the PNG decision if they like but choosing it over Perth is absolutely moronic. There are so many people living in WA that don’t care for AFL and this decision basically ensures the AFL will always be the dominant code. QLD Cup is the correct level for the PNG team. Honestly if it wasn’t for supercoach I’m not sure why I would have any interest in non Dogs games with all these bone headed decisions

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bears should be 100% located in Perth. I moved across in 2001 from Sydney and I’ve got to say the crowds are getting bigger every time rugby league comes to Perth. Now that Perth Stadium is here, it won’t matter about capacity (up to 60,000) - the more the merrier can come to a game. There is a lot of league followers over here - who would get on board in following them - and I’m sure they would make sure the mistakes of Western Reds getting removed from the competition would never happen again. NRL gives everyone the shits though, they won’t put a team over here, but they are happy to use the stadium for State of Origin though.
What about Perth pirates which have been operating there??

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
People can like the PNG decision if they like but choosing it over Perth is absolutely moronic. There are so many people living in WA that don’t care for AFL and this decision basically ensures the AFL will always be the dominant code. QLD Cup is the correct level for the PNG team. Honestly if it wasn’t for supercoach I’m not sure why I would have any interest in non Dogs games with all these bone headed decisions
Exactly.
In 1996 they were averaging 13.5k crowds. 3rd highest and that is before the wave of eastern seaboardeee coming across.
And even in that short stint we saw them supply juniors ti the nrl
Maybe they don’t want Perth bred players to threaten origin ?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t understand the logic about this team helping the Australian government against China. If China is expanding what the F is a rugby league team going to do to stop them? Just look at the Chinese influence in Sri Lanka and Africa and you’ll know how idiotic this reasoning is

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
18th team- Perth
19th team- Hills district
20th team- Nz2
21st teem - Adelaide
22nd team- Central Coast
23rd team- THEN PNG

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t understand the logic about this team helping the Australian government against China. If China is expanding what the F is a rugby league team going to do to stop them? Just look at the Chinese influence in Sri Lanka and Africa and you’ll know how idiotic this reasoning is
I think it’s more albanese on his whole white saviour complex rather than geopolitics
If China want PNG they’ll take it

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about Perth pirates which have been operating there??
Mate I forgot about them, maybe they could merge together to be more powerful against these other clubs trying to apply. To be honest though, the pirates are pretty quiet over here, my opinion of course. I could be wrong but I’ve never heard anything locally about them In the last few years. But the Bears keep trying to get back in.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
18th team- Perth
19th team- Hills district
20th team- Nz2
21st teem - Adelaide
22nd team- Central Coast
23rd team- THEN PNG
This is when the NRL permanently becomes 9’s right, given there’ll be no players to fill even 18 teams?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This is when the NRL permanently becomes 9’s right, given there’ll be no players to fill even 18 teams?
This will be a long drawn out process
We need new junior bases. Perth should do this.
Thsi is shy I didn’t like the dolphins coming into the nrl.
It doesn’t grow the pie. It just gets people in Brisbane to stop supporting the doggs, broncos, titans and divert their attention.
We neeecti go outside of heartland areas to friendly territory. Perth has a rugby culture. They can supply juniors and be self sufficient in ten years

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This will be a long drawn out process
We need new junior bases. Perth should do this.
Thsi is shy I didn’t like the dolphins coming into the nrl.
It doesn’t grow the pie. It just gets people in Brisbane to stop supporting the doggs, broncos, titans and divert their attention.
We neeecti go outside of heartland areas to friendly territory. Perth has a rugby culture. They can supply juniors and be self sufficient in ten years
The Western Reds and Western Force say hi.

Sure the Force were kinda resurrected but have hardly been a runaway success.

I’m not against Perth as such (I went there for the Dogs game which opened Optus Stadium in 2018, it was great) and certainly not pro-PNG either but it’s been tried and it’s a drain on the code propping up the franchise so something would have to be very different to try it again funding wise. At least if it’s a Perth team the N in NRL might finally be valid. It’s a risk.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL punted Souths,a foundation club,for not having adequate facilities.It would be the height of hypocrisy for the NRL to implement and fund the PNG infrastructure. I'd love them to be in, it's their national sport ffs,but is it practical though ?
I don’t think the NRL would fund anything for PNG. I think it would be funded by Aus and PNG government and mining companies. I would go for another kiwi team and Perth and put expansion on ice for a few years. Looks like there is a push for PNG though.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The Western Reds and Western Force say hi.

Sure the Force were kinda resurrected but have hardly been a runaway success.

I’m not against Perth as such (I went there for the Dogs game which opened Optus Stadium in 2018, it was great) and certainly not pro-PNG either but it’s been tried and it’s a drain on the code propping up the franchise so something would have to be very different to try it again funding wise. At least if it’s a Perth team the N in NRL might finally be valid. It’s a risk.
Perth collapsed because during the super league war they made Perth themselves pay the flight bills and in those days that was too much with the flight prices back then. Plus a lot of new clubs died. They weren’t failures they had one of the highest attendance rates in 1996. You can check this. This is before the eastern wave.
The nrl should have struck when the force collapsed (which was more to do with super rugby collapsing) but they didn’t. They can still salvage now.
Wa is the richest Aussie state and has a lot of rugby in it already.
And the logistics is no excuse because AFL have two teams there and so do the nbl and even baseballs.
It also grows the pie in terms of new eyes and is a better stable bet than PNG.
I’m not against PNG being there one day but it’s a country where it isn’t safe to walk the street and literally the only country in the world you can accidentally eat another person as what happened to my friend. I’m not lying about that.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Perth collapsed because during the super league war they made Perth themselves pay the flight bills and in those days that was too much with the flight prices back then. Plus a lot of new clubs died. They weren’t failures they had one of the highest attendance rates in 1996. You can check this. This is before the eastern wave.
The nrl should have struck when the force collapsed (which was more to do with super rugby collapsing) but they didn’t. They can still salvage now.
And the logistics is no excuse because AFL have two teams there and so do the nbl and even baseballs.
I’m not against PNG being there one day but it’s a country where it isn’t safe to walk the street and literally the only country in the world you can accidentally eat another person as what happened to my friend. I’m not lying about that.
Your friend must've been a poofter and accidentally fell on someone's cock.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t think the NRL would fund anything for PNG. I think it would be funded by Aus and PNG government and mining companies. I would go for another kiwi team and Perth and put expansion on ice for a few years. Looks like there is a push for PNG though.
You just need to look at the lack of talent available for the current clubs, the bottom teams can't get players now, to help them become competitive. I'm not sure where the talent comes from for 1 extra club.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Btw if mods think I’m talking shit or trolling about my friend accidentally eating another person in png I can genuinely prove this beyond doubt.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You just need to look at the lack of talent available for the current clubs, the bottom teams can't get players now, to help them become competitive. I'm not sure where the talent comes from for 1 extra club.
There’s talent, just not great talent. Players that can handle the nrl and do a job but generally not have the capacity in them to be stars.
Someone like our own Declan Casey. I don’t think he’s getting a top 30 gig anywhere. But he can play nrl decent as we know last year.
Even myself. I’m probably not good enough to win games on my own but I’m as good as someone like Wakeman. I can do a job. Just no cherry Evans’s.
33 now and next year 34 so I think the boat has sailed for me. Especially by the time the next expansion team comes which is 2027 at earliest. It had to have been last year.
So there’s talent there but not movers and shakers.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The Reds, Rams, Crushers and Mariners were all sacrificial lambs so the ARL/SL could smoke the peace pipe to form the NRL. ‘Airfares’ back then is a pretty lame excuse - the Warriors also entered in 1995 and are still here not to mention the Eagles/Dockers survive in the AFL. It’s about sustainability, so the average punter turning up paying a few bucks and buying some beers isn’t enough. And as for cannibalism, The Western Force have already eaten The Perth Spirit :-).

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The Reds, Rams, Crushers and Mariners were all sacrificial lambs so the ARL/SL could smoke the peace pipe to form the NRL. ‘Airfares’ back then is a pretty lame excuse - the Warriors also entered in 1995 and are still here not to mention the Eagles/Dockers survive in the AFL. It’s about sustainability, so the average punter turning up paying a few bucks and buying some beers isn’t enough. And as for cannibalism, The Western Force have already eaten The Perth Spirit :-).
Airfares is a lame excuse but neither party seemed to budge. Airfares are also even more expensive Perth to east than Auckland.
Mariners were duds. Rams weren’t that bad and there is potential there but wouldn’t call them a priority just yet. Crushers seemed to do ok too in terms of the growth but were hung to dry. Dolphins is essentially the crushers replacement