News PNG in ‘box seat’ to land 18th NRL licence by 2025 after Bears cop $11m hammer blow

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Perth Bears would work, using the Bears for pathways as they already have teams competing in NSW Cup, Harold Matthews , SG Ball, plus Harvey Norman and Tarsha Gail Women's championships.

Always a Bulldog
Perth Bears would have been ideal, It has to be easier logistically too. But now the Government is getting involved,I can see the PNG thing gaining momentum

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Perth Bears would have been ideal, It has to be easier logistically too. But now the Government is getting involved,I can see the PNG thing gaining momentum
Bears should have always been Gold Coast imo. Still "coastal" and had a direct link with Burleigh Bears.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bears should have always been Gold Coast imo. Still "coastal" and had a direct link with Burleigh Bears.
For sure. The Bears are prepared to play anywhere as well. They have been in a position for ages to hold an NRL license, The nrl should just put them out of their misery and tell them they aren't coming back

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL "there are plenty of quality players to add another team"

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think there's a bigger picture to this politically wise that will hopefully benifit Australia in general.
We all know China would like to be closer to PNG at Australia's expense. A team in the NRL would be a huge win for Australia - PNG relations.
Would be such a big plus for PNG Public to have a team in the NRL.
After there help in WW2 I feel happy for them to gain a team in the NRL, and kinda feel its deserved. It is going to take a bit of time for them to make progress and get up to standard but you have to start somewhere I guess...
Players Might have to be based in north Queensland somewhere but and have home games in Port Moresby which is a concern.
I think there is huge potential there but it's going to take time and a lot of corporate/government help...
I'm not sure what local corporate support they currently have but...

Its a shame there's not enough nrl talent about atm to bring 2 new sides in because Perth is way overdue and think they could have instant success (first few years).
If New Z rugby league could dominate union a bit better there in a similar boat to Perth as well....

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I support this and I hope they can make it work, PNG will literally become everyone's second favourite team overnight.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
None,They'll be based in nth qld I reckon
So live & train in North Queensland but play home games in PNG? What's the point of having a PNG team then? Just get every NRL team to play 1 home game there a season or just have Magic round there.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good.
should’ve been PNG before the Dolphins.
its the National sport FFS. it’s a subject at school, like maths, science, footy.
The players will be worshipped like gods.
Players will have nothing to worry about, the team will be based out of Darwin.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So live & train in North Queensland but play home games in PNG? What's the point of having a PNG team then? Just get every NRL team to play 1 home game there a season or just have Magic round there.
Not my idea.Like you said, people won't relocate there. They wouldn't have the infrastructure there for training etc. My guess is they will play 4-6 games A year there and base themselves in nth qld. I have a feeling PNG football,will become a political football

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
out of curiosity would fox/9 have a say in this and be like "no we want perth"?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Best choice would be Perth, its all about TV.
Perth is the logical choice. Sounds like the Government and the nrlol may collaborate on this venture . . . It's like clowns, juggling other clowns, who are juggling . . . What could possibly go wrong ?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
out of curiosity would fox/9 have a say in this and be like "no we want perth"?
I wouldn't think so. They may say they'd prefer 1 thing or another, but they wouldn't have much,if any, involvement in the decision making process

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not my idea.Like you said, people won't relocate there. They wouldn't have the infrastructure there for training etc. My guess is they will play 4-6 games A year there and base themselves in nth qld. I have a feeling PNG football,will become a political football
Wasn't having a go at you mate. It’s the NRL that is dumb.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't having a go at you mate. It’s the NRL that is dumb.
No worries. I'm not sure what knuckleheads came up with this ridiculous idea. It's gonna be a logistical nightmare. Do they even have a suitable ground??