Playing to our weaknesses

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been a supporter of Baz, but this week he proved he has no idea what the fuck he’s doing. Long thread, but I gotta get some shit off my chest because yesterday’s game revealed a lot about us, particularly Trent. And those who are saying not to panic should really be panicking.

We have a squad full of talented young players with fragile confidence as it is, and if you go down the list, Baz is directly causing the regression of each players confidence and he’s holding their talent hostage. He’s trying to fit them into his spastic system which clearly isn’t fucking working, instead of using their talent and playing to each players strength. On paper our side looks much better than we have been performing.

Dufty only gets the ball to attack when we’re on the goalline, he should be backing up TPJ/ King offloads and sniffing around the ruck always, playing freely.

Burton is on a prison sentence on that left side and has been relegated to a first receiver/ 5th tackle bomb merchant. It’s a fucking joke, he should be given free reign to play what opens up in front of him. When we are attacking the line, Burton and Dufty should control tackles 2-4 to decide how they want to run the set and to get creative, playing short sides, putting players into holes and whatever opens up. The halfback should be the 5th tackle kicker here to free Burton for the earlier tackles.

Addo carr, the origin winger and fastest player in the comp, is being used like he’s Okunbor, yardage hit ups and only gets the ball off of our slow, sluggish set plays with like 1 decoy runner that opens up no holes in the defence. He has rarely been put into decent space to show his speed, every time he gets the ball he’s against 2 or 3 defenders.

when he was in the centre’s, Naden was being asked of way too much.He always ended up with the ball but didn’t know how to create space for fox or for himself.He was being given too many decisions to make when he’s not that kind of player. So what happens when he can’t fit Baz’s mould? Gets moved to the wing after 2 weeks after just following orders. I’d have a sook too

We all know the story with Avo. Ball running 5/8 (absolutely killed it in reggies last week at 6 but anywho) who gets pigeon holed into playing 7 and making all our big decisions. Obviously struggled but As soon as he shows signs of growth, boom dropped by baz and then put into left centre (when he was played on the right side until now).

Now it seems he’s trying to use TPJ as our ball playing lock. Is he fucking for real?

How could you trust your coach if you’ve worked all pre season with a particular line up and he’s blown it all up in 2 rounds out of panic and sheer ineptitude? He’s incompetent and has no idea what he’s doing. He’s playing these players to their weaknesses and it’s killing their talent and love for the game.

Why do you think every player we have kills it in Reggies? Even Flanagan for fucks sake. Of course it’s a step down in talent, but it’s because they are free to play their natural game. Trent Barrett is forcing talented players to adjust their natural game to suit his abysmal failure of an attacking system.

I don’t know how much longer I can watch this shit

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Graham Hughes reckons we are wasting TPJ running into forwards, when we could have him two passes out, taking on the centres to push through and get good ball away to Dufty and Ado Carr.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Graham Hughes reckons we are wasting TPJ running into forwards, when we could have him two passes out, taking on the centres to push through and get good ball away to Dufty and Ado Carr.
TPJ does not have the discipline to play on the edge, always crabs sideways and forces the ball. He's an out and out middle.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on with a lot of what your saying… but the only thing I disagree with is the fact that you said he has an attacking plan… i personally don’t think he does. I think he has tried to make everything so simple that the players are not playing to there natural talents. You hit the nail on the head by saying Burton is getting used wrong and dufty rarely sniffs around. I just think overall it’s bad coaching and he hasn’t changed his ways atall. You would think by now he would be like fuck it, boys play your positions and just enjoy football. Stick to our defence strategies but just throw the ball around and make things happen in attack.

Will that happen? Highly doubt it!

Again what you said about NSW cup… I’ve said it to several people, we are undefeated! Yes it’s 2 steps behind grade but you see players throwing the ball around, creating opportunities, set plays… everyone knows there role. Then step in grade and we play the boring ass hit up after hit up and Burton going for a bomb. My bloody 10 year old recognises it so what makes Baz think other coaches havnt?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
it's been a while until Ive felt what it's like to support a wining team I don't care what changes are made I just want to see us win. its a shame a club as big us as are suffering for so long. US FANS DESERVE MORE!
NO SHIT.!!!! Damn the amount of times I’ve said this in the last two days.!!

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s trying to turn us into the Panthers.

Jackson = Yeo
Averillo/Wakeham = Cleary
Addo-Carr = To’o

The exact same systems he had at Penrith, he’s using here, failing to realise that we have completely different players who don’t suit that play style.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The same case applies to Thompson. Thats why we need a real front row forward.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jackson = Yeo
Addo-Carr = To’o

The exact same systems he had at Penrith, he’s using here, failing to realise that we have completely different players who don’t suit that play style.
It’s crazy that someone this incompetent can become a head coach and it’s crazy that gus believes in him (if he really does)

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with this. Obviously needs good ball, in isolated situations. But would be a menace out wide

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel like we need to play like 2012. We had 2 running halves then, offloading forwards to fullback, attacking from our own half etc. This grinding style is horrible feel like we are playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I heard that on talkin sport and I’m not sure if he is better suited to the back row or in the middle. One thing I know is Jackson is a dud at 13 and even in the back row these days.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Jackson = Yeo
Addo-Carr = To’o

That's what I've been thinking. He is trying to make us play like Penrith but it's not working because our players are NOT suitable for it. He's starting to sound like Des.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I've been thinking. He is trying to make us play like Penrith but it's not working because our players are NOT suitable for it. He's starting to sound like Des.
at least Des actually won lol

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson = Yeo
Addo-Carr = To’o
literally all of those players couldn't be more different from their panthers equivalent. if barrett can't recognise that Fox and To'o for example are worlds apart in terms of strengths and weaknesses and he wants to use Fox as a battering ram trying to punch through defence instead of a quick winger who needs his centre to dig into the line and create space for him, he has to just step down and let someone with eyes that aren't painted on have a go at coaching

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like we need to play like 2012. We had 2 running halves then, offloading forwards to fullback, attacking from our own half etc. This grinding style is horrible feel like we are playing not to lose instead of playing to win.
totally agree. you cant win games scoring 10 points or less and relying on defence (more often than not). besides, our defence is nowhere near good enough to do that anyway

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
TPJ from watching the game live, was excellent. Played big minutes aswell and seemed fitter than other weeks. Keep him there in the middle.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The same case applies to Thompson. Thats why we need a real front row forward.
Thompson was the worst forward on ground. We don’t need to use him at all. Just let him go along with his whiny girlfriend. Overpaid dud signing.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
literally all of those players couldn't be more different from their panthers equivalent. if barrett can't recognise that Fox and To'o for example are worlds apart in terms of strengths and weaknesses and he wants to use Fox as a battering ram trying to punch through defence instead of a quick winger who needs his centre to dig into the line and create space for him, he has to just step down and let someone with eyes that aren't painted on have a go at coaching
Apart from Dufty, we have no other speedster who can score when the a break is made. It's easy for teams to just wrap Ado Carr up, and keep him contained, no matter what our plodding centres do.