Playing style 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malla

Reaction score
Just thinking about our team in 2016 and with the new interchange rules, our new halves pairing, new additions into the backline etc - what our style of play will be in 2016.

I think the Raiders game last year played with Josh and Mbye at the halves is a good indication of how we will attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0idoiFM3Fg

While our defense overall definitely needed improvement from that game, I loved the way we attacked. Just basically ran the ball on every opportunity, and played to what they saw in front of them. I feel this is what to expect from us this coming season - we will surely average 24-30 points a game for with the squad we have.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I really hope they play as straight and aggressively as they did in Canberra, but that was the only game that it occurred all year.

Our style of play has changed little since 2012. It's become slowly more conservative, with more one out plays, but there have been few changes to structure, set plays, backline moves and depth.

I don't expect much to change, but if you believe Lichaa and Garvey, there may be some more freedom from dummy half.

I'd love more depth in attack, and more line speed in defence, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't want the props ****ing around with the ball anymore, just get out of the way and let the halves run the team.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Playing style 2016

Just thinking about our team in 2016 and with the new interchange rules, our new halves pairing, new additions into the backline etc - what our style of play will be in 2016.
It wouldn't matter if we bought Captain Marvel, The Hulk, Superman and Batman. Hasler stiil calls the shots so nothing is gonna change.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We will know within the first few games in 2016. IF it's the same as the last few years it will be a hell of a long groundhog season. With every bit of hope that I have left I hope Des goes a complete 180 from the game plans he has been dishing up. Fingers crossed, I want to be a lover not a hater!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Run hard
Run fast
Hit hard
Kick long
Kick high
Kick short

Just ****ing kick to Rona.

Malla

Reaction score
I think the reduced interchange will force our hand in having the props play less with the ball and just take straight hit ups and/or off-load as opposed to passing at the line.

In saying that, there will be opportunity for our forwards to pass at the line late in games against the bigger teams - ie. Warriors, Canberra, Roosters etc.

But yeah, as I was saying - I just hope we play like that Canberra game in attack - I loved the way Reynolds just sprinted at the line on every play then shifts for a pass or kick. Mbye must fix his kicking game, but I reckon it's his running game that will separate him from the good to the great halves in the comp.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We played that way against Canberra because they let us. Other teams knew how to lock us up.

2016 is a tough year for us, especially the run into the finals. I'll leave it up to Des to decide the team and playing style. If we do OK, I'll be more than happy.
Otherwise, I'll look at it as a building block for 2017.

Malla

Reaction score
We played that way against Canberra because they let us. Other teams knew how to lock us up.

2016 is a tough year for us, especially the run into the finals. I'll leave it up to Des to decide the team and playing style. If we do OK, I'll be more than happy.
I disagree. We played like the because that was the only game of the year where we showed assertiveness in attack. Other match ups we had against side weaker than Canberra and were letting us play - but we didn't.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I dont agree they let us ,we play with a flat attacking style no depth ,that game we had a traditional deep backline which allowed players to run hard onto the ball ,this is exactly what we need to do in attack

Malla

Reaction score
Something else I didn't take note of but Rona played Centre in this game.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The "game plan" employed by Hasler is suited to the time of unlimited tackles. It doesnt work any more. Will someone please tell Hasler that

Malla

Reaction score
The "game plan" employed by Hasler is suited to the time of unlimited tackles. It doesnt work any more. Will someone please tell Hasler that
Yeah, he almost is trying to play a game of attrition against sides with some of his tactics of late - but I really hope he switches it up this season and lets the players just run.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I think the Raiders game last year played with Josh and Mbye at the halves is a good indication of how we will attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0idoiFM3Fg

While our defense overall definitely needed improvement from that game, I loved the way we attacked. Just basically ran the ball on every opportunity, and played to what they saw in front of them. I feel this is what to expect from us this coming season - we will surely average 24-30 points a game for with the squad we have.
Watching the highlights video I was thinking lafai our right centre is a gun. Especially after the first try. Saw speed that I have never seen in him before.

Then the camera zoomed in and I realised it was rona :p lol

Also realised how bad perretts defence at fullback is. No positional play what's so ever. Even his brother made a better try saving attempt in the video then he did.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Something else I didn't take note of but Rona played Centre in this game.
Yeah and his defense in the centers was the worst that wed seen from a center for us in years, Most of canberras points came from waqa running at him.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah and his defense in the centers was the worst that wed seen from a center for us in years, Most of canberras points came from waqa running at him.
Noticed that too - but in attack he looked great. He stands deep and runs onto the ball, something our centres haven't been doing in years. But his defense definitely needs work, however I would put him in the centres on his capability in attack and work on his defense. See what happens I guess.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The new rules in a lot of ways have been employed to stop our playing style and that of a few other large pack sides. We had the largest team in NRL History this year. The interchanges will continue to drop in coming years so the smaller fast players have more impact. So I'm sure Des is looking at the best way to play the team in the future otherwise we will be collecting wooden spoons for a while.
Forwards will nearly need to be 80 mins players or at least be able to play strongly for long periods of time. I see the penalty rate as being one of the biggest decides of a game. We went from being on top of some games to losing just based on a high penalty count which drains players and shifts momentum. This in turn causes more penalties to try and slow the game down. I think a lot of teams will employ 2 dummy halves to keep the speed up in attack. We can't have Lichaa making 60 tackles and expect him to run in attack. There seems to be a lot of Des haters in the Kennel. I'm not sure why
to me he seems to play to our strengths mostly which for the last few years have been our forwards. I hope there will be a shift but for that we need top level halves. Let's how Mbye becomes the X factor we need him to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.