Player's Names on Jerseys

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I’m happy with names but not numbers . Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the nrl own jersey rights. The clubs and players don’t, so the players don’t het a cut if his jersey sells . That part should be changed and nrl shouldn’t be the rights owner.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm fine with whatever, if anthing make some with names for the fans.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m happy with names but not numbers . Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the nrl own jersey rights. The clubs and players don’t, so the players don’t het a cut if his jersey sells . That part should be changed and nrl shouldn’t be the rights owner.
Think it is just royalties for their logo on jerseys.
Is why B&L sell NRL gear so cheap compared to officially licensed material.
Is why we should remove their logo from fan gear.
Derive them of our revenue.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Think it is just royalties for their logo on jerseys.
Is why B&L sell NRL gear so cheap compared to officially licensed material.
Is why we should remove their logo from fan gear.
Derive them of our revenue.
I remember an interview that players and clubs don’t own the rights to official merchandise.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion...

1. Front - major sponsor
2. Sleeves - next major sponsor
3. Back - names

Keep it simple. I even think sponsors on shorts is too much. Remember those pricks at Wicked that were shorts sponsors for a while? I never even knew they were on our shorts except for one time where I saw it by chance. I didn't even think they were a desert company, I thought we were sponsored by (get this), Wicked the Musical :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 95005
Wait.....it's a desert company????

Fuck me.

Their marketing certainly worked on me (sarcasm).
I hope they sacked the moron who thought ad placement of a desert company on footy players shorts would work....

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the names should always be on the back of jerseys. Look at State of Origin. It's a good way of identifying players too - particularly brothers who look alike. The only time it looks funny is when the surname is long though. Not judging peoples surnames but you can see when they have to reduce lettering size to fit on the players backs. As for players numbers, they should be the number of the position unless you are a reserve - then it can be whatever you want. That distinguises between a player being a start up player or a reserve player.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Squad numbers and names would be a massive step in the right direction but Aussies and dinosaurs probably wouldn't want it.
100%. The NRL is run terribly though & wont ever do it.

At the start of the season everyone should get a number between 1-50 & they have to use that number & their name on the jersey for the entire season.

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm good with just numbers.
Too many long surnames to deal with and then the issue of a player leaving for another club & you're the loser with "Averillo" on your back when he's playing for the phins
Buy the jersey with the number only

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Wait.....it's a desert company????

Fuck me.

Their marketing certainly worked on me (sarcasm).
I hope they sacked the moron who thought ad placement of a desert company on footy players shorts would work....
Who cares. We got their money. And they got absolutely zero publicity on what their product was. It promoted a musical instead of their rice shit.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Serious question: do players get a new jersey each game in the NRL?
No. In fact clubs get narky if players give their jerseys away.
it’s stupid. Seriously? What would 500 jerseys cost a club wholesale? $20k? Small price to pay to put a smile on kids faces.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Squad numbers and names would be a massive step in the right direction but Aussies and dinosaurs probably wouldn't want it.
Melbourne had names on the back when they first entered the premiership for at least two years. It was 1-13 and reserves though.

1701123893053.jpeg

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Almost every other sport in the world does it, yet it "wouldn't work" in NRL because????

It makes 100% sense to do. People saying it would be confusing, like seriously have you never watched a sport that's not the NRL?

But to make things simpler, they can limit the selection of numbers between 1-30 for players within the top 30 (with players outside the top 30 having to select numbers as per ascending order). Players have their names on jerseys & can choose numbers that mean something to them, or it can be used as a mark of seniority in the club (similar to how the 10 is used in football). As players become more important and senior, their number increased e.g. the back up half who was previously the number 17 becomes the 7.