Player's Names on Jerseys

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

St George Illawarra Dragons NRLW coach The Milkman has come out in support of Jackson Hastings' radical idea to introduce names to players' jerseys. In September, Hastings tweeted his thoughts that the NRL should consider putting surnames on the back of jerseys, stating the sight of it when playing in the Super League "hit different". This week the Knights halfback doubled down, calling for the NRL to adopt it and The Milkman agrees it's time.

"(Hastings) is spot on. Squad numbers with names on the back is how we all dreamed of having that," he posted on X. "Seeing fans with your name on their back is cool. "Why do we run down ideas that can make our product better? "Lose the old man 'get off my lawn' mentality."

While Hastings' opinion has received support, the 27-year-old did reveal there'd been people hitting back at him, who prefer the current system. "I got hammered on a tweet about it, all the traditionalists came after me," Hastings told SEN radio this week. "I'm all for tradition as well, there's nothing better than following a tradition or someone that played in the seven jersey. "But the way that the world is going and the Americanisation of sport, the way pretty much every sport in the world besides us do it.

"Playing in the Super League, I took immense pride in the number I wore and certainly having my last name on the back of my jersey."

Rugby league and rugby union are two of the few remaining sports that use jersey numbers to signify positions on the field. The NRL currently dictates each club must name a 1-21 line-up each week, with the top 17 in that list named as being in the actual team, in their positions.

I don't mind the idea of having players names on their jerseys, but the numbers have to stay, a lot of tradition there.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Names make sense. I don't know why they have it for rep teams and not the NRL. Aside from more sponsorship money but the jerseys are too covered in sponsors as it is..

We had Squad numbers in 97 with Super League and it was a mess.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I grew up wanting to wear the numbers of the positions idolised. The feeling of breaking from the bench to being a starting centre playing with the No. 4 on my back was the dream.

Seeing someone running around with the No. 29 on his back isn't Rugby League to me.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No room for sponsors lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i like the names but think the positions should keep their numbers.

Serious question: do players get a new jersey each game in the NRL?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't Melbourne have the names on the back of their jerseys in the first couple of years? I wonder why they were allowed to do that?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't Melbourne have the names on the back of their jerseys in the first couple of years? I wonder why they were allowed to do that?
Is there a reason why clubs can't now?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like the idea too. There's been a few occasions when I've had to google late changes to the team to work out who the hell is playing. We had just enough debutantes that I was lost this season. I'd definitely keep the numbers. But having names too would be an improvement. It'd just be a pain in the ass for the club's to have to apply them.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the idea too. There's been a few occasions when I've had to google late changes to the team to work out who the hell is playing. We had just enough debutantes that I was lost this season. I'd definitely keep the numbers. But having names too would be an improvement. It'd just be a pain in the ass for the club's to have to apply them.
i admit i get players mixed up, especially last year with so many debutantes and changes.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i like the names but think the positions should keep their numbers.

Serious question: do players get a new jersey each game in the NRL?
As far as I know the uniforms are owned by the team so players can only use/wear their jerseys before and during games.
They either donate them via club sponsors after games or the club wash and then re-use the jersey for training & lower grades but may differ sport to sport.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm good with just numbers.
Too many long surnames to deal with and then the issue of a player leaving for another club & you're the loser with "Averillo" on your back when he's playing for the phins

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Surprised they didn’t do this before the Las Vegas games

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Jerseys these days are tailored to fit (super tight) each individual player, they are very light weight, the material breathes and they often have grips where the ball is carried, which wear quickly. That’s why when a player is replaced at late notice just before a game they wear numbers outside the traditional 17, the jersey from the player that they are subbing for doesn’t fit them (too small, too big, too long, too short etc). They rip very easily and are replaced often. As such there’s not really a reason for not having players names in addition to traditional numbers on jerseys.

Always a Bulldog

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I grew up wanting to wear the numbers of the positions idolised. The feeling of breaking from the bench to being a starting centre playing with the No. 4 on my back was the dream.

Seeing someone running around with the No. 29 on his back isn't Rugby League to me.
Exactly. I don't imagine the 27 worn by Glenn Hughes in the 1995 Grand Final sits well with him. He would've much preferred to have worn a 14-17 jerey.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
In my opinion...

1. Front - major sponsor
2. Sleeves - next major sponsor
3. Back - names

Keep it simple. I even think sponsors on shorts is too much. Remember those pricks at Wicked that were shorts sponsors for a while? I never even knew they were on our shorts except for one time where I saw it by chance. I didn't even think they were a desert company, I thought we were sponsored by (get this), Wicked the Musical :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

1700690604130.png

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know the uniforms are owned by the team so players can only use/wear their jerseys before and during games.
They either donate them via club sponsors after games or the club wash and then re-use the jersey for training & lower grades but may differ sport to sport.
There is a room just for clothes washing at the stadium.