Phil Rothfield reveals his team of the year for 2014 NRL season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-2014-nrl-season/story-fniabksc-1227073195824

I Don't know if already posted, if so, please remove.

Also, what a joke this list is,

Well done Graham, Lafai and Finucane.
Josh Jackson you were robbed of a starting position IMO, but glad to see you there

Finally, look at the last point, it is something I was wondering during the Panthers game (has the concussion rule been scrapped for the finals?)

THE South Sydney Rabbitohs look certain to dominate tonight’s Dally M awards, with seven players in contention for major positional awards.
In my own team of the year I’ve got Greg Inglis, Dylan Walker, Alex Johnston, Adam Reynolds, Sam Burgess, Ben Te’o and George Burgess in a squad of 17.
Dally M voting finished in round 26 but I’ve taken finals form into consideration over the past three weeks.
FULLBACK
IT’S hard to overlook Parramatta superstar Jarryd Hayne, but who could argue about Greg Inglis.
Hayne had a sensational season but dropped off in the last couple of rounds when the Eels needed to win big games to make the finals.
Inglis has been consistently outstanding despite *carrying injuries from State of Origin. He scored two tries against the Roosters and defended as well as he attacked.
BLOG LIVE WITH BUZZ HERE

Greg Inglis. Picture: Mark Evans

WINGERS
LEAVING Brett Morris out is a bit like snubbing Hayne.
But how could you possibly overlook Panthers powerhouse Josh Mansour or South Sydney’s boom rookie Alex Johnston, who has scored 20 tries from 17 games.
Mansour was Penrith’s best player in the loss to the Bulldogs.

Josh Mansour.

CENTRES
SURELY Dylan Walker will be included in Australia’s Four Nations squad. He has been the standout centre all year. I’ve gone for Tim Lafai ahead of his Canterbury teammate Josh Morris and Penrith’s Dean Whare.
Manly skipper Jamie Lyon was outstanding earlier in the season but his form fell away.

Tim Lafai. Picture: Mark Evans

FIVE-EIGHTH
YOU could pick Johnathan Thurston on one game — his unbelievably brilliant semi-final effort against the Roosters. It was the best and most dominating performance from a halfback or five-eighth I’ve seen in a final.
He should be a special to win tonight’s Dally M award. Has been playing well all season.

Johnathan Thurston. Picture: Mark Evans

HALFBACK
PROBABLY the most difficult position. Eight weeks ago Daly Cherry-Evans looked a certainty but his form since has been ordinary.
Then you get a split decision between Trent Hodkinson and Adam Reynolds.
Hodkinson won Origin and landed match-deciding field goals in four games. At the same time Reynolds has steered Souths around with new maturity and wonderful finesse. He’s also the best goalkicker in the competition.
LOCK
ONLY the one Roosters player, Aidan Guerra, gets a start. This guy is a powerhouse.
I almost went for Penrith’s Adam Docker but for his late-season suspension which kept him out of some finals action.

Aidan Guerra.

SECOND-ROWERS
I’VE gone for Sam Burgess and Ben Te’o from the Rabbitohs. Burgess rarely wears the 11 or 12 jersey but plays that sort of game. He has been dynamite. Te’o narrowly beat Canterbury’s Josh Jackson, who I put on the reserve bench.

Sam Burgess.

PROPS
CANTERBURY’S James Graham is widely regarded as the game’s No.1 prop. He has a huge motor, is tough and passes beautifully. I also included Matt Scott and the Storm’s Jesse Bromwich on the bench.

James Graham.

HOOKER
I WAS close to going for the Roosters’ Jake Friend or South Sydney’sIssac Luke. Then you thing about what James Segeyaro has done for the Panthers this year. He is a super little powerhouse.

James Segeyaro.

BUZZ’S TEAM OF THE YEAR
1. Greg Inglis
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tim Lafai
5. Alex Johnston
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. James Segeyaro
10. James Graham
11. Sam Burgess
12. Ben Te’o
13. Aidan Guerra
Interchange:
14. Matt Scott
15. Josh Jackson
16. Dale Finucane
17. Jesse Bromwich

Michael Ennis set to miss grand final with a fractured foot

<svg width="150" height="150" viewBox="0 0 150 150" class="countdown"><circle cx="0" cy="0" r="75" transform="translate(75, 75) scale(0.97)" stroke="#FFFFFF" stroke-width="2" fill="rgba(0,0,0,0.6)" style="display: block;"></circle></svg>

<b style="box-sizing: border-box;"><b style="box-sizing: border-box;"><button class="pause-autoplay theme-background-color vms-button-text" style="color: white; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; text-transform: uppercase; cursor: pointer; border: none; padding: 4px 5px; text-align: left; outline: none; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"></button><button class="btn-settings icon-settings vms-button vms-icon" style="color: white; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: none; padding: 4px 5px; text-align: left; outline: none; vertical-align: middle; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"></button></b></b>

HIGHLIGHT
SOUTH Sydney’s magnificent victory over the Roosters, setting up the most exciting grand final build-up in years.
LOWLIGHT
THE Swans’ capitulation at the MCG on Saturday. It was a massive disappointment for the 15,000 Sydney fans who travelled south for the weekend.
LOWLIGHT II
THE disgraceful brawl in the Mounties v Entrance Ron Massey Cup at Allianz on Sunday. What
a terrible way to kick-off grand final week.

SPOTTED I
BENJI Marshall making a touch football comeback for Wests in the Vawdon Cup at Parramatta.
SPOTTED II
PLAYER agents Wayne Beavis and Khoder Nasser in the Australian Rugby Union box at the Roosters v Rabbitohs on Friday night.
SPOTTED III
Former Australian cricket coach and computer whiz John Buchanan sitting with the video refs at the two NRL semi-finals as part of his new consultancy role with the referees.
HEAD CASES
Surely the NRL will investigate the Penrith Panthers for allowing James Segeyaro and Sika Manu to stay on the field after heavy head knocks on Saturday night — just a week after they were fined $20,000 for doing the same thing with Jamal Idris.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looks like he's based the "Team of the Year" off the last 6-7 rounds.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't see the brawl in the Ron Massey cup game, but saw some disgraceful behaviour in yesterday's QLD Cup final.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, Finucane had been fairly average this year but stepped up in the finals
Yeah. Always good to see Bulldogs getting props but I'm not feeling finucane at all.

Swap Jackson and Teo. I'm not actually sure on Teo in the team at all, but can't really think of someone else to put in there.

Hayne over GI. Even though I prefer GI Hayne was better this year.

Gurgess shouldn't be in it imo. Atleast not starting. Graham was best prop in the game with daylight second this season, but Bromwich was next best imo and I would have Scott way above Gurgess as well.

Either than that though it looks pretty good. Especially for that moron. Definitely caught in the moment a bit there though.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is more like "Team of the Finals" as opposed to team of the year.

Hayne was sensational but ran out of steam towards much like Thurston running out of steam in that semi against the Roosters. And even when his team didn't win Hayne still managed to dominate proceedings, the problem is Parra are so immeasurably shit that they couldn't win. We would breeze through most games if Hayne was our fullback, as reliable as Perrett and a superstar to boot. Hayne for FB of the year at the very least for mine.

Finucane doesn't deserved to be mentioned if he's including the games throughout the year, much like T-Rex he's stepped up as the season has drawn to a close and has helped us in reaching the GF.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I didn't see the brawl in the Ron Massey cup game, but saw some disgraceful behaviour in yesterday's QLD Cup final.
What happened mate? We don't get to see the game live here only on replay on Fox, so I won't see it until Wednesday. No score please just the brawl details.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL how funny was it!!!!

"Hmm I'm in a side up by 30, I think I'll go punch a guys head in in the scrum".
Baldy McPunchface gets a sinbin (not a send off - piss weak).
Tigers player cops 10 for retaliating.

5 minutes later
*punch on*
Tigers player sent off.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Phil Rothfield reveals his team of the year

1. Smirnoff
2. Tanqueray
3. Bacardi
4. Grey Goose
5. Patron
6. Jack Daniels
7. Johnnie Walker
8. Makers Mark
9. Jagermeister
10. Captain Morgan
11. Baileys
12. Jim Beam
13. Russian Standard
Interchange:
14. J&B
15. Jameson's
16. Ketel One
17. Stolichnaya

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
[video=youtube;sgEJcSzON1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgEJcSzON1c[/video]

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

1. Smirnoff
2. Tanqueray
3. Bacardi
4. Grey Goose
5. Patron
6. Jack Daniels
7. Johnnie Walker
8. Makers Mark
9. Jagermeister
10. Captain Morgan
11. Baileys
12. Jim Beam
13. Russian Standard
Interchange:
14. J&B
15. Jameson's
16. Ketel One
17. Stolichnaya
Bahahahahaha post of the week!

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Smirnoff
2. Tanqueray
3. Bacardi
4. Grey Goose
5. Patron
6. Jack Daniels
7. Johnnie Walker
8. Makers Mark
9. Jagermeister
10. Captain Morgan
11. Baileys
12. Jim Beam
13. Russian Standard
Interchange:
14. J&B
15. Jameson's
16. Ketel One
17. Stolichnaya
Wtf!

Where's Bundy? Bundaberg rum has been my favourite all year. This is an outrage.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

1. Smirnoff
2. Tanqueray
3. Bacardi
4. Grey Goose
5. Patron
6. Jack Daniels
7. Johnnie Walker
8. Makers Mark
9. Jagermeister
10. Captain Morgan
11. Baileys
12. Jim Beam
13. Russian Standard
Interchange:
14. J&B
15. Jameson's
16. Ketel One
17. Stolichnaya
That's fantastic lol But I don't think slothfield isn't that picky any more .A 4 liter cask of Sunnyvale, method and strawberry milk . Or when he is out on the town the dreg buckets of beer left over from the spill trays

Status
Not open for further replies.