News Phil Gould's big Bulldogs admission over Matt Burton deal

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs' General Manager of Football Phil Gould concedes there's no way the club could have bagged the signature of Matt Burton had they tabled the same deal to him today.

Last November, the Bulldogs pulled off a massive coup in luring the young gun away from the Panthers as Trent Barrett went about a rebuild in Belmore.

Burton's potential was never in doubt, but with relatively little first-grade experience under his belt at the time - stuck behind the likes of Ivan Cleary's minor premiership squad - Burton had little currency on the NRL market.

Fast-forward not a year, and the 21-year-old has arguably proven himself to be one of the league's hottest targets.

Matt Burton of the Panthers, who has signed with the Bulldogs. (Getty)

That's in part been expedited by a host of injuries in the Panthers' ranks which has seen Burton flex his versatility, first in the centres and now in the halves.

And Burton's meteoric rise reached its latest peak over the weekend in a 20-14 win over the Roosters.

The youngster scored two tries, made three line-breaks and ran a game-high 211 meters - and according to Gould it's just the tip of the iceberg.

"I've always known what a talented kid he is. He came to us at 16 years of age from Dubbo in development squads and junior rep teams," Gould told Nine's 100% Footy.

"As I've said, he hasn't got to play his favourite position very much over the past three seasons, particularly in the NRL with COVID and the strength of their side out there.

"He's played a lot of centre and survived out there because he's a great athlete and a really good footballer, and to play in the halves position in the NRL you need to be doing it regularly to perfect your craft. Until he can get regular football in that five-eighth position you're not going to see the best of him still."

Asked by fellow panelist and former Sharks great, Paul Gallen, if he intended to upgrade Burton's reported $450,000 deal at the Bulldogs in light of his rising stock, Gould was firm.

"What I will say, Paul, is that I've never ever, ever in my life had a player underpaid at any club I've been that. They've never been underpaid, whether they're on contract or not," he said.

"Having said that, it's all a sense of timing, isn't it? The Bulldogs signed Burton at a time where he had played very little first grade. They signed on potential by Trent Barrett because he had been training and coaching the Panthers all last season, so he knew what potential he had.

"Look, he's on a two-year deal with the Bulldogs that would not be commenced now with what he's worth today if he went on the open market. But that's for a lot of players.

"I can tell you the Panthers are getting much, much cheaper this year. And they probably haven't upgraded him this year for the service that he's given them. So, it's all about a sense of timing. Matt Burton has a bright career ahead of him and money will be the least of his problems going forward."

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton will be good next year, but he will be awesome in 5 years. The number one job the club has next season is working towards retaining Matt for the long term. The number two job is working towards putting the right players and the right team environment around Matt for the long term.

Things are looking promising in the backs, we have a number of candidates who could be part of a nucleus for 10+ years. We could use a few decent young forwards though.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You do realise he can negotiate with other teams in November next year yeah?
My point is that you don’t want to upgrade him when he’s locked into a good deal for us. We shouldn’t just be upgrading that deal for the sake of it. Get the advantage of paying him $450k and put an extra couple of years on big money after 2023 and get it done before November.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
You do realise he can negotiate with other teams in November next year yeah?
I get what you are saying, renegotiate his deal and extend it out with an upgrade from 23 onwards? That and a hopefully a third party involved. And of course he makes the impact we think he will.

Malla

Reaction score
My point is that you don’t want to upgrade him when he’s locked into a good deal for us. We shouldn’t just be upgrading that deal for the sake of it. Get the advantage of paying him $450k and put an extra couple of years on big money after 2023 and get it done before November.
Yeah good deal for us but will be offered an extraordinary amount more from November next year if we don't secure him.

If we wait too long, you can kiss Burton goodbye. No doubt teams like Broncos and Roosters will be circling him from November next year.

Malla

Reaction score
I get what you are saying, renegotiate his deal and extend it out with an upgrade from 23 onwards? That and a hopefully a third party involved. And of course he makes the impact we think he will.
Yes, exactly. If he is playing well, start the discussions straight away. Upgrade him from 450k to 700k or whatever the amount is that we can afford. If we do that soon, we lock him in as our franchise player and will keep the other teams away.

Watching him go on the weekend for Penrith. This kid is special, he will be playing origin before we know it. We need to build around him now.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
No it wouldn’t. Get the cheap years but extend his deal on bigger money is the best way to go.
if he has his contract extended, wouldn't it be after his current deal, so we'd still be getting him for cheap for the 1st 2 years.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"As I've said, he hasn't got to play his favourite position very much over the past three seasons, particularly in the NRL with COVID and the strength of their side out there.

"He's played a lot of centre and survived out there because he's a great athlete and a really good footballer, and to play in the halves position in the NRL you need to be doing it regularly to perfect your craft. Until he can get regular football in that five-eighth position you're not going to see the best of him still."

That should put to bed any discussion of what position he will play or what Gould thinks. He is our future immortal 5/8

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. If he is playing well, start the discussions straight away. Upgrade him from 450k to 700k or whatever the amount is that we can afford. If we do that soon, we lock him in as our franchise player and will keep the other teams away.

Watching him go on the weekend for Penrith. This kid is special, he will be playing origin before we know it. We need to build around him now.
I would do the same. But given he is contracted at reportedly $450k for 2023 also I’d suggest giving him a more modest upgrade like to $550k for 2023 then $750k for 2024 & 2025. Little 3rd party on top. Hopefully we don’t have to worry too much. There are enough smart minds at the club now to work this out.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah good deal for us but will be offered an extraordinary amount more from November next year if we don't secure him.

If we wait too long, you can kiss Burton goodbye. No doubt teams like Broncos and Roosters will be circling him from November next year.
You get it done before November then don't you..........

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he starts the 2022 season strong, don’t be surprised to see an extension tabled that sees him at the club long term on very good coin. Might even happen if he ends up having a blinder in the finals..

We got rocks with Flanno, but struck Diamonds with Burton.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton will be good next year, but he will be awesome in 5 years. The number one job the club has next season is working towards retaining Matt for the long term. The number two job is working towards putting the right players and the right team environment around Matt for the long term.

Things are looking promising in the backs, we have a number of candidates who could be part of a nucleus for 10+ years. We could use a few decent young forwards though.
If he continues this form next year which seems like he will,the kid is special, there is no way we should let November 1 come around, keep him away from the open market. This kid can deliver us premierships down the track

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next Terry Lamb. Good build a team around him, a good team, a winning team, because if we surround him with mediocrity he will walk at the first opportunity.