News Phil Gould hammers 'farce' after obstruction drama in Broncos-Dogs clash

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Gallen has called for the NRLbunker to be "black and white" in its assessment of the outside-shoulder obstruction rule, declaring that discretion should not be involved.

But Phil Gould has branded the outside-shoulder law a "farce" and "the most ridiculous rule in rugby league".

The rugby league icons engaged in a heated discussion on the latest episode of Nine's 100% Footy after the Broncos were awarded a controversial try in their 16-10 win over the Bulldogs in round two.

Brisbane's Herbie Farnworth was granted a try despite the fact that teammate Corey Oates had run at the outside shoulder of Canterbury's Braidon Burns and made contact.

The ball shifted through Brisbane's left edge and, as Burns watched on helpless after being impeded, Farnworth streaked away to score.

Paul Gallen has demanded the NRL bunker be "black and white" following an obstruction controversy in the Broncos' second-round clash with the Bulldogs. (Fox League)
Nine rugby league reporter Michael Chammas said he'd spoken about the incident with NRL head of football Graham Annesley, who pointed out that the bunker had "discretionary powers".

That remark triggered Gallen's demand.

"Discretion will change from week to week, discretion will change from bunker official to bunker official," Gallen said.
"I want black and white.
"These blokes are full-time athletes that train every single day to run at the right hole."

Gould is the Bulldogs' general manager of football, but that didn't stop him from agreeing with the bunker's decision to hand Farnworth the try in the Sydney Olympic Park match.

"At the end of the day, I believe that's a try. I believe the defence put itself where it wanted to, the decoy runner did (his) job, they created space for the fast man on the outside and he ran around the defence and scored a try," Gould said.

"I think that's what decoy runners are meant to do.

"This outside-shoulder, inside-shoulder rubbish is ridiculous."

But despite believing tries like Farnworth's should get the all-clear, Gould questioned the bunker's inconsistency.

"Every time that has occurred in the last 10 years – and I've blown up about it every time it's occurred – they've ruled it no try," Gould said.

"Why did they rule it a try last night if they've ruled it no try every other time?"

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope with Gus weaving his magic we can start winning more games.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone in the media is agreeing we got shafted. Gallen, all NRL 360 members. Even Buzz was up in arms on our behalf lol. Just listened to The Monday Scrum podcast and Benji Marshall agreed, however he also said Broncos played what they saw so good on them. I agree with that, but at the end of the day, it's a black and white thing, Burns was prevented from getting out wide to defend, by an illegal play. Simple. A decoy can't initiate contact to the outer shoulder of the defender, preventing him from following the direction of the ball. Okunbor can't stay on his wing if Burns can't run wider as that play unfolds, leaving him vulnerable and he ultimately couldn't defend it.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus iirc has always had issue with the obstruction rule that is implemented but yes nicely worded big fella.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone in the media is agreeing we got shafted. Gallen, all NRL 360 members. Even Buzz was up in arms on our behalf lol. Just listened to The Monday Scrum podcast and Benji Marshall agreed, however he also said Broncos played what they saw so good on them. I agree with that, but at the end of the day, it's a black and white thing, Burns was prevented from getting out wide to defend, by an illegal play. Simple. A decoy can't initiate contact to the outer shoulder of the defender, preventing him from following the direction of the ball. Okunbor can't stay on his wing if Burns can't run wider as that play unfolds, leaving him vulnerable and he ultimately couldn't defend it.
It’s a pretty murky rule. The line run isn’t illegal if he gets the ball and can be a product of where the defender is positioning himself. A player might also feel he’s running to an inside shoulder only for the defender to peel off and all of a sudden you’re deemed to be hitting a hole to another players outside shoulder.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Gould could've stuck up for the club a bit more and chose his words a bit better.
He should have said that while in his mind, he thinks it should be a try, but according to the rules, it should have been disallowed. Not good enough, Phil!

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let see what Gus’s stance will be when we get pulled up for something ‘SIMILAR’ in the coming weeks & called No try….

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a pretty murky rule. The line run isn’t illegal if he gets the ball and can be a product of where the defender is positioning himself. A player might also feel he’s running to an inside shoulder only for the defender to peel off and all of a sudden you’re deemed to be hitting a hole to another players outside shoulder.
Forget about inside ,outside shoulders, in this instance Burns is clearly obstructed by Oats ... End of story.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting off the subject of the 'no try that was' but staying within the context of inconsistant officiating , when TPJ crossed the line and thought he scored I thought it was a schoolboy refs error not to at least let the bunker review it to see for certain. Very unprofessional indeed.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We should have won that and be sitting where the Fuck head donkeys are, 2-2 we were robbed, but always are 90% of the time.