News Phil Gould battling three rival clubs to keep Bulldogs forward

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould battling three rival clubs to keep Bulldogs forward
By The Mole
3 hours ago

The Bulldogs could face a battle holding on to one of the most improved props in the game - pocket battleship Max King.
King is one of the few quality front-rowers coming off contract at the end of this season and has attracted the eye of at least three rival clubs.
The Bulldogs are anxious to retain the 26-year-old, who has been their most consistent forward since joining the club from the Storm two years ago.
They are set to sit down with King's management in coming weeks in the hope of quickly signing the busy prop to a long-term deal.
Max King of the Bulldogs runs at a Harry Grant of the Storm tackle during the round two NRL match between the Melbourne Storm and Canterbury Bulldogs at AAMI Park on March 11, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images) (Getty)
But rival clubs can talk to King as he is unsigned for 2025 and it could all come down to a bidding war.
"We are keen to keep Max - he's a great kid and been very good for us," Bulldogs boss Phil Gould told Wide World of Sports.
King has amazing rugby league pedigree - his great-grandfather Cec played for Souths in the 1940s, his grandad Johnny was a star in the Dragons team of the 1950s and '60s, playing in seven of their 11 straight grand final wins and his dad David played for Gold Coast in the 1990s.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I doubt he's going anywhere else with how light we are up front and how much they've talked up his improvement and leadership this preseason. I'm sure he'll be re-signed soon.

I like what Gus does but for a guy like Gus to talk about other teams locking up players before they even hit the November window I'm shocked somebody like Kingy hasn't already been sown up... Obviously he is now in the shop window so good luck getting this guy sorted at a decent price.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like what Gus does but for a guy like Gus to talk about other teams locking up players before they even hit the November window I'm shocked somebody like Kingy hasn't already been sown up... Obviously he is now in the shop window so good luck getting this guy sorted at a decent price.
Yes but sometimes they like to see what a player brings this year before working out figures,king was good in 22 but ordinary in 23 hope he kills it this year but i get what they are doing

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Boy about to get a big fat pay day from the club

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes but sometimes they like to see what a player brings this year before working out figures,king was good in 22 but ordinary in 23 hope he kills it this year but i get what they are doing
I personally think we have seen enough of Kingy to know he is a Bulldog. The only question is whether he is worth the 600k contract so I get the wait...

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez there really is a shortage of middles out there if clubs are chasing him.

Tries hard and is decent enough but average first grader

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon King will go up a gear this year now that he's fully fit. Noticed that in his first couple of games, he ran the ball hard into the line and had an offload, he obviously carrying an injury last year which slowed him down.