Perrett's defensive decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weak as pierce

Waterboy
Reaction score
Surely I can't be the only one who notices week in and week out Perrett making poor defensive reads, which might not always lead to tries, but certainly cause our right side panic...Des has a much better footy brain than me, but if my mates and I notice this flaw I assume he, and the other NRL coaches have too...I don't agree that he should be an automatic selection and would go as far as to say that if his decision making doesn't improve, Brown and Inu should be our wingers with Lafai and Morris the centre pairing...

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is forced to because his inside man goes in. This is what causes those situations!

Weak as pierce

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lol...I understand how these situations are sometimes created but I'm not just talking about the constant overlap on our right edge...If I'm the opposition coach, I'm telling my playmaker to take the line and kick behind the acres of open space he constantly leaves...too many points have leaked through Perrett in this fashion...

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The winger follows the defensive line of the centre. Simple as that!

His dummy half running is always good as well.

Weak as pierce

Waterboy
Reaction score
A good winger reads the attack and makes a decision on how to react and from there puts himself into a position to either make a tackle or defuse the play, kick or otherwise...when they do not have to make decisions, for example in the first three tackles of a set, then yes they should follow the structure of the rest of the team...you are saying his defensive issues are due to the two different centres he has played outside of this year with the same outcome...

sniffy

Waterboy
Reaction score
he lets some in and saves a lot too. the plays he shuts down might not be as noticeable as the trys he concedes. in my opinion, it's a gamble coming in off the wing but it's worth it if the defence is outnumbered

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of this has to do with the centre. His combination with Inu is fantastic as they have played together for some time and Inu reads the defence well. A few lapses when playing outside Lafai which were largely Lafai's fault. Last night was the first time him and Brown played together on the right side. Thought their defence was sound.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot of this has to do with the centre. His combination with Inu is fantastic as they have played together for some time and Inu reads the defence well. A few lapses when playing outside Lafai which were largely Lafai's fault. Last night was the first time him and Brown played together on the right side. Thought their defence was sound.
Agree.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hazem knew when to stay in and when not too this guy has been letting in alot of tries

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
Glad someone else has noticed this. He has been caught out big time in the past month – always rushes in and they simply chip to the wing or cut it out wide. Makes me furious!

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perriet was close to our best player. His workload was phenomenal.
And his inside players cause him to go in early.
It's a structure thing they need to address, not Perret himself.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perret is a good meter gainer and he works hard. Nevertheless his rushing in is a problem that he had even when he was at the rorters. Whilst I agree with some comments regarding him following his centre I have seen him on many occasions in is career cough up points because he has rushed in making a bad read of the play and the opposition have capatilised.

Id love to know the stats for this year how many points the opposition have scored on his side of the field.

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
The Friday night game against the dragons, perrett was good in defence but Mitch Brown kept coming out of his centre postion and that's what pressured Sam perrett to rush in as well..

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
3rd different centre in 3 weeks doesn't help

i think he usually times it alright but didn't last night

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If his centre holds his spot properly, then Perrett is safe. As others have said, it's when his centre rushes off the line to assist in tackling a second rower/ halves player, it creates a 2 on 1 overlap with opposing centre and winger against Perrett.

It's exactly how Brown got Perrett over the line as well (draw more defenders to you, then offload.)

It's a tricky one, but we have two young centres in Brown and Lafai who are still learning defensive tactics. Both (last night) were pretty good, except that one lapse. With a bloke like Morris this rarely (if ever) happens you'll notice.

One thing we DO need to be mindful of, is that our wingers don't stand too deep or far forward. Last night we saw a few well placed kicks almost go up and behind our wingers (causing a turn and chase).

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
he lets some in and saves a lot too. the plays he shuts down might not be as noticeable as the trys he concedes. in my opinion, it's a gamble coming in off the wing but it's worth it if the defence is outnumbered

He also scores a few. More than he concedes.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
He has been a little down on form but he is all class. Still finishing when required and a great role model in the club unit. The pass over his head wasn't his fault he had to choose 1 of 3 players....

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
sometimes he has to go in. This forces the opposition to create another pass (may lead to fdorward pass/knockk on) or Perrett tackling them before they can have the overlap.
I rather him come in and cause an extra pass then the opposition centre dummying and going in closer to the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.