Penrith need to bounce back fast: Fittler

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
(Eds: Note language in last par)

SYDNEY, March 17 AAP - Penrith great Brad Fittler believes the Panthers must bounce back quickly from their opening round NRL humiliation or face a long season of disappointment.

Penrith looked a long way off the pace in their 42-8 loss to Newcastle, and have the tricky task of entering a derby clash with Parramatta in terrible early season form.

But according to Fittler, the Panthers need to turn it around sooner rather than later or risk seeing their season slip away before they can fix it.

The Panthers and Sydney Roosters legend pointed to 2009, when he coached the Roosters in a 52-12 round one loss to arch rivals South Sydney.

The lack of energy on display in that capitulation figured prominently throughout the season and eventually cost Fittler his job.

The challenge for Penrith coach Matt Elliott is to ensure the rot doesn't set in too early as it did for Fittler's eventual wooden-spooners.

"The first game we got smoked and never really got any better," Fittler said.

"It's going to take a big turnaround (for Penrith) and it's a really big ask, especially this week against Parramatta who look like they're playing pretty confidently."

But Fittler couldn't rule out his old side producing an upset on Friday night - explaining that erasing big losses became harder as the season dragged on.

"I think the rebounds (from a heavy defeat) are a lot easier at the start because you're normally pretty fit so you're a better chance of putting on your best side," he added.

"Towards the end of the year rebounds are tough because you're limited with your players and in your stock (but) to say they can bounce back at Parramatta, who knows?"

Penrith have resisted the urge to rush Timana Tahu, who signed a one-year incentive-based deal with the club on Wednesday, into the centres to face his former teammates.

But Fittler is confident that Tahu will be comfortable playing at the foothill of the mountains and will prove to be an astute signing.

"I think it's fantastic," Fittler said. "Whether it's going to help Penrith at the moment, I'm not sure about that, but getting Timana back in the game (is positive).

"It's a fantastic place out (at Penrith), it's a place where you can play your footy.

"The media don't like travelling out there, they don't go past the tolls ... (So) he'll be able to focus just on his footy and I think he'll really warm to the area.

"And I think that's what he needs to do, he needs to find a home and I really hope he does, he's a great kid who has just been through a pretty sh1tty time."

http://www.nrl.com/penrith-need-to-bounce-back-fast-fittler/tabid/10874/newsid/61799/default.aspx

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"terrible early season form"? After one game, seriously?

"sooner rather than later or risk seeing their season slip away" Wow....really now?

"to ensure the rot doesn't set in too early " You kidding me?!? What rot?

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
"terrible early season form"? After one game, seriously?

"sooner rather than later or risk seeing their season slip away" Wow....really now?

"to ensure the rot doesn't set in too early " You kidding me?!? What rot?
Take your Black Goggles off and you'll understand exactly what he and the whole NRL is talking about lol.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe a one team town let down their locals so badly, they deserved better and need to find their pride and self belief, they represent a city and they are counted on to produce competitive football every week, you don't make first grade being a dud.
Seeing Freddy head to Bondi was a let down for footy fans in general, rush Tahu in ASAP, they need his experience and leadership, make him the captain FFS and drop a couple of sundays bludgers.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Enlighten me, exactly what is he saying?
Are you telling me your form on the weekend was fine? Your telling me you were outplayed by a better side? No, Penrith beat themselves. They were careless, lazy and didn't respect the ball or the opposition. Our Feeder side would of put 60 on Penrith last Sunday.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you telling me your form on the weekend was fine? Your telling me you were outplayed by a better side? No, Penrith beat themselves. They were careless, lazy and didn't respect the ball or the opposition. Our Feeder side would of put 60 on Penrith last Sunday.
What form? It's one loss.

Yes, it was one bad game where no one turned up. Big sh*t....move on to the next game.

No need to over analyse it. For the next game, let's put in some effort which I know the team is capable of. We have the players there, it's just the case of applying it on the field. Geez, you would think they're on a 7 game losing streak.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
What form? It's one loss.

Yes, it was one bad game where no one turned up. Big sh*t....move on to the next game.

No need to over analyse it. For the next game, let's put in some effort which I know the team is capable of. We have the players there, it's just the case of applying it on the field. Geez, you would think they're on a 7 game losing streak.
It's not just that mate, your trial form was pretty lousy as well. 30 Zip Parra had you, and i know your going to say it's just a trial but c'mon 30 nil is saying something. I expect it to be no different tomorrow night.

P

Paint.

It's not just that mate, your trial form was pretty lousy as well. 30 Zip Parra had you, and i know your going to say it's just a trial but c'mon 30 nil is saying something. I expect it to be no different tomorrow night.
Not to mention the back end of last year, and the line up hasnt improved at all

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No. Not really. Penrith did play well, smart and competed brilliantly. They defended well and finally used more depth giving early ball to Jennings. Walsh's kicking game was superb. They deserved the win tonight and if they play like that will be in a lot of games just through their defence.

But Parra offered nothing and Penrith were NEVER tested the whole game. And last week still happened. Plus I still have my doubts that Penny rely too heavily on the kick.

You have good players. Tim Grant is very underrated, Tim Bell is good, Petero, Luke Lewis (under utilised for his ball skills) Gordon is great, Coote is pretty good and Walsh is solid but too up and down.

Waterhouse doesn't seem the same player and I've always been a huge Nigel Plum fan. But still, outside of Jennings and Gordon, I don't see many points in this team and think they're always too poorly and negatively coached to realise their potential.

Start using the ball more with more depth for Jennings and Gordon and guys like Lewis and Coote back on the angles and you have something.

But again, Walsh lacks ball playing skills and Burns is useless. Plus your second row lacks punch.

Don't see you guys making the 8 this year.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
No. Not really. Penrith did play well, smart and competed brilliantly. They defended well and finally used more depth giving early ball to Jennings. Walsh's kicking game was superb. They deserved the win tonight and if they play like that will be in a lot of games just through their defence.

But Parra offered nothing and Penrith were NEVER tested the whole game. And last week still happened. Plus I still have my doubts that Penny rely too heavily on the kick.

You have good players. Tim Grant is very underrated, Tim Bell is good, Petero, Luke Lewis (under utilised for his ball skills) Gordon is great, Coote is pretty good and Walsh is solid but too up and down.

Waterhouse doesn't seem the same player and I've always been a huge Nigel Plum fan. But still, outside of Jennings and Gordon, I don't see many points in this team and think they're always too poorly and negatively coached to realise their potential.

Start using the ball more with more depth for Jennings and Gordon and guys like Lewis and Coote back on the angles and you have something.

But again, Walsh lacks ball playing skills and Burns is useless. Plus your second row lacks punch.

Don't see you guys making the 8 this year.
had my back bro ;)

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Not really
Alright man, I wasn't exactly being serious. Refer to the above posts.

I guess we will have to wait until September. Whether we are there or not - there will be criticism so whatever really.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought Parra were absolutely pathetic. I was stupid to even contemplate tipping them.

I have to agree with Ben, the Panthers weren't tested at all. I thought Parra gifted the Panthers most of their tries. Could have, and would have been a much different story had the Panthers been versing the Raiders or the Broncos tonight.

It's still early days though, and there's a whole season to get through before anyone can point fingers and say how well the Panthers will go this year. As with most teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.