Penalty goal or going for the try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
If it's within the first 5 minutes or so, I'd say go for the 2. You can reset, and basically start the game over again, yet with a 2 point advantage.

Anything past that point, and I'd be going for the jugular.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
1. The Titans played woeful, 2 points or not, they were losing that match unless every player from Parra walked off the field.

2. The Dragons couldn't win a meat tray. Stole the Minor Premiership, and gone in the finals. The sides useless and they were always going to get rolled by the Broncos.

So I say take the 2 and get ahead. 2 points is a surity, 6 points isn't always.

So come 80 minutes you could win on 2 points, but not on a bombed try attempt.

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's within the first 5 minutes or so, I'd say go for the 2. You can reset, and basically start the game over again, yet with a 2 point advantage.

Anything past that point, and I'd be going for the jugular.
Yeah and look what happened to the Dragons after taking a shot at goal, didn't get the ball back until they were down 12-0.

Go for the try I say.

Ironhide07

In The Dog House
Reaction score
Depends on the circumstances. If we've had them on the back foot for set after set then you keep the pressure on but if it's early in the game with no advantage either way you should take an easy two in a semi final.
x2

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't care about how the game is going, we should never go for goal in the 1st half.

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
Penalty, We have the best kicker in the game & are a grinding team. We have always taken the early pen and highly doubt if there is one on fri night we would turn it down.

G

giant

go for the try and then u have a chance to get two more points lol

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Weve been taking the 2 points that have been offered to us all year.
It depends how the oppositon interpret the decision you make. If you have consecutive sets and fail to break their line and then opt to take 2 points if given a penalty then I think the opposition is the one that gains from this decision and lifts.
On the other hand itsa semi so a tight score is expected so if youre givena gift penalty you will be stupid not to take it.
for this match I woul take every point that is on offer.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
go for the try.

like hani said only go for the 2 points if your leading by 6 or 12.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Try, dent them early and then keep the pressure on

pattenovic

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Depends on the circumstances. If we've had them on the back foot for set after set then you keep the pressure on but if it's early in the game with no advantage either way you should take an easy two in a semi final.
+1 thread answered, close please.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if we're 10 out attacking hard and parra are missing tackles everywhere and it's on the first tackle then GO FOR THE TRY FFS

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the try imo. I dont think the two will make a difference to the game overall. We need to score quite a few tries to beat eels.

C

chipandchase

BT you are showing your lack of football knowledge here mate, you always go for the try.
if you are in position to take 2 points THEN YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE ADVANTAGE. cant understand your point there.
as it has been stated, we need to score points to beat parra.
we take the 2 and then parra are down in our 25 and we are starting all over again.
we need to make the most of our opportunities, as good as our defence is, we no parra are going to score tries, you can stop hayne all game but u can limit him.
so we need to score more tries, it is not rocket science, we wont win by taking 2 points.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
BT you are showing your lack of football knowledge here mate, you always go for the try.
if you are in position to take 2 points THEN YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE ADVANTAGE. cant understand your point there.
as it has been stated, we need to score points to beat parra.
we take the 2 and then parra are down in our 25 and we are starting all over again.
we need to make the most of our opportunities, as good as our defence is, we no parra are going to score tries, you can stop hayne all game but u can limit him.
so we need to score more tries, it is not rocket science, we wont win by taking 2 points.
Take it easy mate. 2 points is 2 points. Like I said it depends on the circumstances. But in certain circumstances that 2 points is the right option as it could prove vital at the end of the game.

What you're saying lacks any thought football wise. Are you saying with a minute left on last tackle the team should just put up a random midfield bomb instead or trying for a relatively easy field goal? Or should they take a tap when 20 out with a minute left in the first half or take a guaranteed two points which could prove the difference between winning and losing?

Everything has to be taken on it's own merits and every situation is different but to say you should never take the two is absurd.

C

chipandchase

Take it easy mate. 2 points is 2 points. Like I said it depends on the circumstances. But in certain circumstances that 2 points is the right option as it could prove vital at the end of the game.

What you're saying lacks any thought football wise. Are you saying with a minute left on last tackle the team should just put up a random midfield bomb instead or trying for a relatively easy field goal? Or should they take a tap when 20 out with a minute left in the first half or take a guaranteed two points which could prove the difference between winning and losing?

Everything has to be taken on it's own merits and every situation is different but to say you should never take the two is absurd.
geez BT you are really scraping the barrell with your arguement.
the whole converstion was about taking the 2 points at the start of the game when we had pressure on the defence, nothing about taking 2 points 1 minute before half time.
which is pretty bloody obvious you would take the 2 points.
as the previuos posts indicated, the teams that have taken the 2 points, at the start of the game or when the score was nil all or around that mark, have both gone onto to lose on 3 occasions. they have lost momentum, and given the defence time to re assess and the attacking team has lost all of its momentum.
Bobcat has a history of taking shots for goal and i hope he takes note of what BK said last night.
in saying that, $8 looks attractive for first points scored

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
geez BT you are really scraping the barrell with your arguement.
the whole converstion was about taking the 2 points at the start of the game when we had pressure on the defence, nothing about taking 2 points 1 minute before half time.
which is pretty bloody obvious you would take the 2 points.
as the previuos posts indicated, the teams that have taken the 2 points, at the start of the game or when the score was nil all or around that mark, have both gone onto to lose on 3 occasions. they have lost momentum, and given the defence time to re assess and the attacking team has lost all of its momentum.
Bobcat has a history of taking shots for goal and i hope he takes note of what BK said last night.
in saying that, $8 looks attractive for first points scored
The point is if your team has no momentum to lose or is in need of a break because they got a penalty against the run of play etc then you do take the two points. You should. Please don't tell me a guaranteed 2 points in those circumstances, in a semi final no less, isn't better than a potential and unlikely 4 or 6.

Every other time then I agree and said myself in the first reply in this thread that you should go for the try.

Status
Not open for further replies.