Penalties for Throwing the Ball Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've seen three examples of incidents where the Bulldogs were penalised, going without reaction from the referees. Two were in the Broncos game where the ball was kicked out of the ground after a forward pass was called; and another when the ball was thrown downfield after a knock-on. There was a similar ball thrown downfield in a game yesterday. Yet, not only were no penalties awarded; the referees watched these incidents, then got on with calling the scrums to form.

I have only seen this penalised twice in the 60(+) years I have watched rugby league - both times this year; and both against the Dogs. These decisions hurt us each time the penalties were awarded. Where is the consistency in refereeing?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It's used to minimise time wasting, etc...

You'll notice that in the 2004 GF, Willie Mason was penalised for "throwing" the ball away when he was tackled on the 5th tackle, even though he simply dropped the ball on the turf instead of handing it directly over to the Roosters. Big B/S penalty in a GF I've ever seen!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That's how you rort games to influence profit/loss for the betting agencies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've seen three examples of incidents where the Bulldogs were penalised, going without reaction from the referees. Two were in the Broncos game where the ball was kicked out of the ground after a forward pass was called; and another when the ball was thrown downfield after a knock-on. There was a similar ball thrown downfield in a game yesterday. Yet, not only were no penalties awarded; the referees watched these incidents, then got on with calling the scrums to form.

I have only seen this penalised twice in the 60(+) years I have watched rugby league - both times this year; and both against the Dogs. These decisions hurt us each time the penalties were awarded. Where is the consistency in refereeing?

Common sense and consistency are sadly lacking in the refereeing ranks as well as leadership from the top. It is so frustrating to see the last few weeks, where as you say, there have been several incidents in line with the ones we were penalised for let go.

Inconsistencies.....

Let's not forget Jaeleen Feeney was penalised and sin binned earlier this year for a ball throwing incident ( where it hit an on field official) but several others this year where the ball has been propelled at a players head or back of the head have been left unpunished.

Status
Not open for further replies.