Payne Haas

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should not even be entertaining paying for a big money forward after we've already overspent on huge money forwards without having a 7 and 1 signed for 2023.
who do you recommend?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For everyone demanding that we should have signed another half, aside from Hynes and probably Clifford who was worth signing?

And please don't say Shaun Johnson.. Reynolds cost too much and was always going to Brisbane.. Hynes seemed locked in to Cronulla and wouldn't play under Baz because Baz gave him the flick at Manly.

There's no point signing players like Luke Brooks, Jackson Hastings, Ash Taylor etc when they're not the answer either.

Yes we need another half but you can't just sign one for the sake of it out of desperation otherwise you end up with another Flanagan situation with wasted cap space..
if brooks goes to newy, i'd take clune on

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
if brooks goes to newy, i'd take clune on
Clune is a solid game managing half with a bit of pace. He's better than what we currenly have for a halfback role. But he's not a long term option.. Even if they get Brooks I can see them keeping Clune as he wouldn't be on much and would be a good, cheap backup for them.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould is 100% correct in refusing to negotiate with Payne Haas and
the $1m price tag. As others have said that is money you spend on spine players, who in the main play for 80 minutes.

For a front rower who plays somewhere between 40 and 55 minutes, $1m is ridiculous. Paying his price is a sure fire way to bend the salary cap out of shape, like it has been in recent years. Haas imho can consider himself very fortunate to have been on the 750k he is alleged to be paid by the Broncos.

For $1m, I would want 2 props. As Bullfrog said years ago,a good team needs 6, and with the reduced minutes they play, it is just stupid to even contemplate paying his asking price.

While most including me don’t like Wayne Bennett, I totally agree with his philosophy of never paying over 500k for a prop. Correct me if I wrong but didn’t Bennett leave the Broncos in 2018, so it would have been after he left that Haas got his pay rise to the 750k he is allegedly on know.

He and is manager must live in cloud cuckoo land, because only a desperate or stupid club will pay his asking price.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fifita doesn't cop enough backlash for his passenger like performances every week while being on $1.2 million. He makes She-Rex look like Steve Menzies by comparison.
A friend of mine is a member of the golf club that backs on to the Titans training ground. They share the car park with the Titans, and many of the players frequent the club after training.

My friend wouldn’t give Fifita the time of day. Full of his own self importance , doesn’t acknowledge people who say good day to him.

Sort of fits with the way he plays.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
LOL, 1 mill.....

"Tell him he's dreaming"

Gus is spot on.

Curash

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The entire Haas circus is orchestrated

His new manager is the brother in law of Anthony Mundine

Tyran Smith -> Mundine -> Nasser -> SBW

-> Politis

Ohh and who’s been ‘reporting’ on it near weekly for the last 6 months? SBW own personal PR man Danny Weidler

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a member of the golf club that backs on to the Titans training ground. They share the car park with the Titans, and many of the players frequent the club after training.

My friend wouldn’t give Fifita the time of day. Full of his own self importance , doesn’t acknowledge people who say good day to him.

Sort of fits with the way he plays.
Sounds about right. You can tell he has a shitty attitude from watching him play. Doesn't look to get involved, is lazy and doesn't want to do what it takes to realise his potential. He's happy with the money and going through the motions instead. That's why I mentioned Tony Williams..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Going off the two examples of Seumamufagai and King, I'd prefer we keep finding great value forwards. Very few teams sitting at the top of the ladder with great regularity are doing so because they've paid through the nose on the engine room.

Once upon a time before the salary cap a wealthy club might be able to justify it, but now it really does have to be the brains trust in a club on the big money contracts.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gould is 100% correct in refusing to negotiate with Payne Haas and
the $1m price tag. As others have said that is money you spend on spine players, who in the main play for 80 minutes.

For a front rower who plays somewhere between 40 and 55 minutes, $1m is ridiculous. Paying his price is a sure fire way to bend the salary cap out of shape, like it has been in recent years. Haas imho can consider himself very fortunate to have been on the 750k he is alleged to be paid by the Broncos.

For $1m, I would want 2 props. As Bullfrog said years ago,a good team needs 6, and with the reduced minutes they play, it is just stupid to even contemplate paying his asking price.

While most including me don’t like Wayne Bennett, I totally agree with his philosophy of never paying over 500k for a prop. Correct me if I wrong but didn’t Bennett leave the Broncos in 2018, so it would have been after he left that Haas got his pay rise to the 750k he is allegedly on know.

He and is manager must live in cloud cuckoo land, because only a desperate or stupid club will pay his asking price.
Just imagine this GB...
Haas on 1 milliion, Thompson 800k, Kikau 800k, TPJ 750k, Jackson 600k, Mahoney 600k. not to mention other forwards on 400-500k.
The only way this could happen is the Rorting Roosters way, by having private sponsors pretending to have nothing to do with the club paying substantial amounts of the players contracts !
Otherwise the rest of the squad will have to be selected from Belmore Boys High School, even then we still might exceed the salary cap :-)

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
While most including me don’t like Wayne Bennett, I totally agree with his philosophy of never paying over 500k for a prop.
Bennett said that when the Salary Cap was $6m, it's about to be $10m, so his $500k is now $850k.

More to the point Bennett just signed JBromwich for $650k so he's broken his own rule (that's out of date anyway) with some discount for his age.
He also signed Nichols for $500k and he's not a prop, plus he's 32 years old and there must also be some discount for his age.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just imagine this GB...
Haas on 1 milliion, Thompson 800k, Kikau 800k, TPJ 750k, Jackson 600k, Mahoney 600k. not to mention other forwards on 400-500k.
The only way this could happen is the Rorting Roosters way, by having private sponsors pretending to have nothing to do with the club paying substantial amounts of the players contracts !
Otherwise the rest of the squad will have to be selected from Belmore Boys High School, even at that we still might exceed the salary cap :-)
Jackson's $600k is only $400k due to the long terms/developed played "discount", in fact's it's not even $400k as that includes non cap items. Ditto Thompson's $800k, closer to $600k.

If we are splitting the Cap into sections Mahoney is a spline player, I wouldn't include him in the forwards.

I have faith in Gould's Salary Cap spreadsheet, maybe getting Haas is why we moved on Cotric, plus I seriously doubt that he will be paying Haas $1m.

Always a Bulldog

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The entire Haas circus is orchestrated

His new manager is the brother in law of Anthony Mundine

Tyran Smith -> Mundine -> Nasser -> SBW

-> Politis

Ohh and who’s been ‘reporting’ on it near weekly for the last 6 months? SBW own personal PR man Danny Weidler
You forgot the part where SBW is now working for us.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just imagine this GB...
Otherwise the rest of the squad will have to be selected from Belmore Boys High School, even at that we still might exceed the salary cap :-)
Ahhh Belmore Boys High brings back memories :grinning: