Ch 9 News (inc DannyW) Payne Haas

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If The NRL decide to terminate a players contract legally, but the club wants to keep him - can he play?

I’d guess… no.

If The club decide to terminate a players contract legally, but he finds another club and The NRL are OK with it - can he play?

I’d guess… yes.

which one’s the employer then?

I’d just be guessing so maybe the finance guy will know.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ah yes employer, which is The NRL. The giveaway being the players sign NRL Contracts, not Bulldog Contracts.

And doctors, architects and property developers, if they’re employed by an organisation, there will be pay structures, which is what the SC is. Of course if they’re self employed pay themselves what they want.

You’re going on about how you can’t limit how much an Australian citizen is payed without noting you can’t demand how much someone pays you given that EBA’s and relevant wages laws are met.

And they are.

Don’t believe, fund a challenge in court and find out why nobody has or will.
Contracts are signed with the clubs NOT the NRL

The ARU and Cricket Australia sign contracts directly with players but the NRL does not.

Every industry has pay structures. The Salary Cap because the players agree to it. When they don't it will be gone.

You are right, you cannot demand what you get paid but you are entitled to negotiate as much as you can without a salary cap artificially limiting it.

Before you try and mount an Industrial Relations argument get the basics right.

Google is free, try using it.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If The NRL decide to terminate a players contract legally, but the club wants to keep him - can he play?

I’d guess… no.

If The club decide to terminate a players contract legally, but he finds another club and The NRL are OK with it - can he play?

I’d guess… yes.

which one’s the employer then?

I’d just be guessing so maybe the finance guy will know.
The club is the employer but it is also bound by the contract it has signed with the NRL to be allowed to play in the competition.

The club gives that power to the NRL contractually but remains the employer of the player.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just saw Cameron Smith has decided to give out contract advice… guess being a cheat and signing 2 gives him relevant practical experience in the matter

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Then you should be able to answer those questions. Why is the EBA with the NRL? Why is the contract an NRL contract?

Surely you’d know. If you don’t I wouldn’t want you doing my finances. I’d rather guess them myself.
Stupid question
I did their home finance i dont need to know or ask those questions
Keep back peddling

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The club is the employer but it is also bound by the contract it has signed with the NRL to be allowed to play in the competition.

The club gives that power to the NRL contractually but remains the employer of the player.
correct

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Found this.

Brisbane reportedly hand gun prop mid-season pay rise | NRL News | Zero Tackle

The Brisbane Broncos have reportedly handed Payne Haas a big mid-season pay rise as they attempt to lock his long-term future in at the struggling club.

According to an News Corp report, Haas has received a $200,000 per year rise in salary back in April.

His reported salary was originally believed to be around the $550,000 mark, but has now risen to $750,000, making him Brisbane's highest-paid forward.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Found this.

Brisbane reportedly hand gun prop mid-season pay rise | NRL News | Zero Tackle

The Brisbane Broncos have reportedly handed Payne Haas a big mid-season pay rise as they attempt to lock his long-term future in at the struggling club.

According to an News Corp report, Haas has received a $200,000 per year rise in salary back in April.

His reported salary was originally believed to be around the $550,000 mark, but has now risen to $750,000, making him Brisbane's highest-paid forward.
If this is true and he is on $750k then he should shut his mouth, play his best footy and cash in on his next contract..

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Right, so The NRL, who is not the employer, can enter into an EBA with the employees and then force the clubs, who are the employer, to honour it.

Soooo.…. I should be able to do an EBA with the players too, and so should you.

Funny the clubs can’t but anyway…..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If this is true and he is on $750k then he should shut his mouth, play his best footy and cash in on his next contract..
I haven't heard him complain. Have read Danny Weidler saying he is unhappy, but then Danny Weidler bullshits on stories & he wouldn't have known about the pay rise. And obviously TPJ didn't know either.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Right, so The NRL, who is not the employer, can enter into an EBA with the employees and then force the clubs, who are the employer, to honour it.

Soooo.…. I should be able to do an EBA with the players too, and so should you.

Funny the clubs can’t but anyway…..
Correct. The RLPA negotiates for the players as a group, just as the NRL negotiates for all clubs collectively.

It acts as an employer body acting on behalf of multiple employers, the same way a Chamber of Commerce does.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Correct. The RLPA negotiates for the players as a group, just as the NRL negotiates for all clubs collectively.

It acts as an employer body acting on behalf of multiple employers, the same way a Chamber of Commerce does.
Chamber of Commerce doesn’t pay anyone, doesn’t fund anyone.

You’re pulling stuff out your arse.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If an EBA isn’t signed by the EMPLOYER, there is no EBA.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or should I say got the bloke who was paying me, told him put me on wages or get him to find 30% elsewhere.
Your probably talking about 'sham contracting' - happens everywhere in Australia most people don't know what they are entitled to as contractors.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a player is told we can only offer $XXXX because we will breach the cap, that is the very definition of restriction.

The Salary CAP is used to cap salaries.
I disagree. The player isnt forced to accept the contract at $xxxx dollars, it is their choice just like in any other working environment.
If I am an IT contractor, sure I would love to ask for $1m a year, but the business is advertising a contractual income of $200k, it would then be my choice if I want to accept that contract.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No such thing as a “Chamber of Commerce Contract” employment contract

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are paid by the club, i have done several players finances. their payslips and PAYG summary is from the club.
I have also arranged finance for a current NRL player whos SALARY is paid by their respective club.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Players sign a contract with their club, to represent the club, to the extent of the clubs full interests.

The clubs sign contracts to have the club represented in a sporting organisation - in this case its the nrl.

Players submit to nrl to fulfil their contractual interests to the club, part of this is being registered with the nrl.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Chamber of Commerce doesn’t pay anyone, doesn’t fund anyone.

You’re pulling stuff out your arse.
Link: Employer Body Definition | Law Insider

"Employer Body means an organisation representing the interests of an Employer or Employers in accordance with the Relevant Requirements; 05.09.94"

A legal definition of industry groups that negotiate for employers as a group.

Link: Browse Employer Bodies - A - Australian Trade Union Archives (atua.org.au)

Also a link to various employer bodies in Australia that act for numerous employers.

Just like the NRL does for clubs.

I would use a dictionary for the bigger words because you clearly just do not get it.

Like I said earlier, Google is your friend.

Last edited: