Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Weve gotta either get bellamy or gamble of the best up and coming coach like the knights did either a fitzgibbon or someone like that
We don't have to. We obviously have to go with Bellamy if he's available (he isn't). Swapping Pay for another assistant coach I'm not so sure myself atm (actually I'm against it). If we did tho it'd have to be Fitzgibbon, no one else has good enough credentials.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We don't have to. We obviously have to go with Bellamy if he's available (he isn't). Swapping Pay for another assistant coach I'm not so sure myself atm (actually I'm against it). If we did tho it'd have to be Fitzgibbon, no one else has good enough credentials.
No one like bellamy is available unless you make them an offer they cant refuse thats how the world works its up to our club to make it happen

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Would Fitzy come to us? Or would he stay due to the fact that more than likely he will take over one day.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Would Fitzy come to us? Or would he stay due to the fact that more than likely he will take over one day.
I have no idea. I'd be surprised if he didn't take one of these coaching jobs that are apparently going to be available. I think he's just holding off for the right club/roster.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have no idea. I'd be surprised if he didn't take one of these coaching jobs that are apparently going to be available. I think he's just holding off for the right club/roster.
PS what's his capacity as assistant coach over there? Attack, defence, forwards coach?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
PS what's his capacity as assistant coach over there? Attack, defence, forwards coach?
Defensive coach. Robinson is also big on defence.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Eels had a good team in 2018 too. Not a wooden spoon roster at least. I'm pretty sure I remember them being tipped for a good season.
Their problem was that they were good players but together they didn't make a good team. The coaching staff copped heaps over it, everyone blamed Arthur, with the usual logic being good players + bad coach = bad team. Since 2018 they have recruited ~10 players (~2/3 high quality, ~4/5 average NRL level, ~2/3 roster players) that have completely transformed them. Obviously it wasn't the coach, he's still there, it was the player's attitude and some lack (loss) of skills.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Their problem was that they were good players but together they didn't make a good team. The coaching staff copped heaps over it, everyone blamed Arthur, with the usual logic being good players + bad coach = bad team. Since 2018 they have recruited ~10 players (~2/3 high quality, ~4/5 average NRL level, ~2/3 roster players) that have completely transformed them. Obviously it wasn't the coach, he's still there, it was the player's attitude and some lack (loss) of skills.

Go Dogs
I was more trying to make the point that it's a lot more unacceptable than how we've been going in our situation/conditions. It's actually quite the opposite, more than acceptable for us. We don't have the roster, whereas the Eels did. We can't question our teams effort and attitude. I think if we recruit well we'll have a really nicely balanced team for 2021 too. No major issues with Pay from my perspective so if he gets another year it's up to him (unless Bellamy is available :D ).

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now that we have wingers filling both winger positions, a half back playing half back and a full back playing fullback, I wonder if we will win more games in the second half of the year. Imagine if we played a hooker in the hooker position, that shit would just blow my mind. Imagine playing Napa ( a bench impact player ) off the bench.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What does that have to do with one mans ability to coach what is front of him?Nearly three years mate,what would you achieve in that time?So what Madge did was right or the easy way out?
For the players I mentioned they had offers from other clubs and chose to go to the Dogs....Koroisau would have certainly made things better so he should have been made an offer to good to refuse.As for no CC sure that is a problem,but it is a problem every club has at the moment not just ours.
I didn’t know this year was going to be a write off as we finished last year strongly.Did you think the same at the end of 2019?
Rookie coach with rookie team = rookie results.
Board always acknowledge we were screwed with the salary cap untill 2021
You can’t compare our team to any other.
Even titans have a better squad then ours.
Yeah last year we finished ok but was it due to other teams taking us lightly?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I still think Arthur is a terrible coach, other coaches would have the comp with that squad