News Pay on Talkin' Sport

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you but what about rotations? You don't know how long Ur big boys can last unless it's a pretty decent hit out.
From training I'm sure the coaching staff will have a pretty good idea of the workload that they each can absorb. How that workload plays out varies from game to game, some games start out ferociously and early subs are more likely. Some games are sleepers and then heat up at the end of the halves. Some days are hot and some nights are cold. Often a teams can spend a long time continuously defending which saps the endurance. Other times they are on the attack for long periods and can last much longer with the lower physical effort.

In summary there are lot of variables in a game, as well as injuries to further ruin the plans of mice and men. So a trial in February against what maybe a bunch of lower grade players won't help much.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If hoppa does play centre then Montoya should not be on the wing they defended really poorly together last year
Agree the defence on that side was abominable. But the reason was because of Hopoate missing tackles, and Montoya trying to cover for him
As a result both players missed the tackles. If Dean Pay plays Hopoate, it must be on the wing.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about those one on one defensive attempts outwide on our tryline in the last 15-20 mins after the raiders put a knife through butter on Olive and Okunbur's side?
Well if you are, then there aren't many fullbacks that can stop those try's especially if you have reserve graders defending at centre and wing in the first line off defence.

I mean what did you want him to do, put his body on the line in a trial game and risk a serious injury or do a Billy Slater cannon ball shoulder charge because the Canberra trial game was such an important game?

I'm sure he'll go into tackles with a bit more gusto in the regular season when there's 2 premiership points up for grabs.
Yes I was talking about those 15 - 20 mins and your quite correct in what you say, no point in putting his body on the line in a trail match and risking injury. Thank you Dogwhisperer. I am chanting at the bits for the season to start & lost sight of the fact that it was only a trail. Lets hope the kid can cut the mustard & be a star no1 for us.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree the defence on that side was abominable. But the reason was because of Hopoate missing tackles, and Montoya trying to cover for him
As a result both players missed the tackles. If Dean Pay plays Hopoate, it must be on the wing.
I think this would be a good ploy because he is good under the high ball and could be a big help to the fullback, my only concern is he lacks a bit of pace

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this would be a good ploy because he is good under the high ball and could be a big help to the fullback, my only concern is he lacks a bit of pace
Agreed. Very solid player, cops a lot of criticism here but also a lot of praise (Seems to be 50/50).
If I am not mistaken, he was a premiership winning winger at Manly and did a good job there, albeit some years ago now.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes I was talking about those 15 - 20 mins and your quite correct in what you say, no point in putting his body on the line in a trail match and risking injury. Thank you Dogwhisperer. I am chanting at the bits for the season to start & lost sight of the fact that it was only a trail. Lets hope the kid can cut the mustard & be a star no1 for us.
The kid has potential. Anything can happen, we just got to wait and see. I like the fact it didn't take him too long to put some muscle on, which can only be a plus at this stage.

I think we are all chanting at the bits for the season to start, I just hope they don't disappoint us. I really can't get a gauge on the season ahead, I mean is there something all these so called experts can see that we can't, putting us to finish 15th or 16th?

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Haha picturing a bunch of Dogs fans standing around a stable chanting at horse gear.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kid has potential. Anything can happen, we just got to wait and see. I like the fact it didn't take him too long to put some muscle on, which can only be a plus at this stage.

I think we are all chanting at the bits for the season to start, I just hope they don't disappoint us. I really can't get a gauge on the season ahead, I mean is there something all these so called experts can see that we can't, putting us to finish 15th or 16th?
Yes again I fully agree with everything you say but every year the same story the so called experts have never rated us, I even recall that great team we had that got all the points stripped of them, were not rated at start of the season & Phil Gould had them finishing 12 and they went through nearly undefeated till tragedy struck, Anyway what ever happens I just hope we play exciting football again in true bulldog fashion. We are a great club & we seem to bounce back from what ever the NRL throw at us. we are already rectifying the dire straits we were in last year, Lesser clubs have taken years to get back on track from their crises and some of them e.g - Parramatta still haven't recovered, so lets have faith in our team & our coach and hopefully we can make these so called experts eat humble pie again. That means YOU - Soward the Coward