News Pay on Talkin' Sport

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am keen to see Meaney at 1... Hoppa is obviously the better 1 right now but Meaney will not get better as a first grade fullback if he doesn't get the experience.. I know some people aren't overly keen on the idea, but just remember that Nick was stuck behind a shit pack last year.. he will have much more opportunity to show what he can do if we continue to push on from our end of 2018 season/ trial form

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another trial would have been good, get another look at the boys..

And even more Interesting to see what pay does come game 1, although we can all assume lol. can’t wait to see what the year may hold for all us doggies supporters.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Haha yeah, klems here where making him cry out his missus name why we whip the bitch
Hope you caught it on camera.
Release it on social media.
Could do with a laugh - I can just see Telecrap Headline:

Former Bulldogs prop David Klemmer ....

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think Martins goal kicking (although Holland isn’t bad) is something we also need. Jacko won a nsw origin player of the series playing in the middle so I don’t know why we don’t have him at 13 (or even floating on an edge at times) with Martin on one edge and between RFM and the rest on the other. As some people said from the trial Martin may have been short a gallop and need minutes so maybe rd1 in ISP playing a lot of minutes may not be bad. Pay seems to be the sort of coach that if someone isn’t meeting standard and someone behind is knocking doors down they will be picked unlike his predecessor who basicllay killed our lower grades by keeping plodders in first grade

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another trial would have been good, get another look at the boys..

And even more Interesting to see what pay does come game 1, although we can all assume lol. can’t wait to see what the year may hold for all us doggies supporters.
Its dogshit.. every other team gets another run and they have more of an idea of what's going on.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some teams had 3 trials right?
I really think we could have used 2 trials this year to really nut out those combinations that we are unsure of.
Yes injuries are a risk but so are they in round one and at least there's not 2 points at stake while you're messing around with combinations.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some teams had 3 trials right?
I really think we could have used 2 trials this year to really nut out those combinations that we are unsure of.
Yes injuries are a risk but so are they in round one and at least there's not 2 points at stake while you're messing around with combinations.
They looked well drilled against Canberra in attack but d was a worry to start the match. Agree one more trial wouldn't have hurt.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm OK with the opposed session (they are very useful in both offence and defence) and the one trial game. NFL teams run pre season opposed sessions with their offence coaches behind the quarter back calling the plays and the defence coaches behind their line calling the defence structures. That's how the opposed session against the Tigers was run, except the teams alternated between defence and offence in blocks (around 10 to 20 minutes I understand). It was a closed session so only the 2 teams know what structures and plays were run. Unlike a trail game were everyone gets to see the video and it gets played multiple times by opposition teams and broken down by their coaches. Right now I'd suggest that Pay and the team have watched every minute of the trial games, picking out the Warriors offence plays and what structures they used in defence. Breaking it down ready for the first game of the season. You can bet the Eels trial games and their round 1 game will be next on the video watching and analysis schedule.

As a result one trial game is OK by me.

Go Dogs

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am keen to see Meaney at 1... Hoppa is obviously the better 1 right now but Meaney will not get better as a first grade fullback if he doesn't get the experience.. I know some people aren't overly keen on the idea, but just remember that Nick was stuck behind a shit pack last year.. he will have much more opportunity to show what he can do if we continue to push on from our end of 2018 season/ trial form
Judging by the Canberra trial I'm a bit concerned with Meaney's defence although he showed good hands in catching the ball, lets hope for his sake he can tighten up his defence & while on the subject jets hope Montoya will Tighten his defence if he is going to be our winger otherwise we may be in big trouble again.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously think this team could do with another trial..
We suffered early in the season last year with combinations etc due to lack of trials.
Really thought pay would have addressed that this year especially with such a young squad we need to really come out of the blocks this year in the early rounds

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Judging by the Canberra trial I'm a bit concerned with Meaney's defence although he showed good hands in catching the ball, lets hope for his sake he can tighten up his defence & while on the subject jets hope Montoya will Tighten his defence if he is going to be our winger otherwise we may be in big trouble again.
If hoppa does play centre then Montoya should not be on the wing they defended really poorly together last year

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Montoya at centre.. kid can't break tackles, step or fend. Would be surprised if there is another centre in the game like him. Fmd.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm OK with the opposed session (they are very useful in both offence and defence) and the one trial game. NFL teams run pre season opposed sessions with their offence coaches behind the quarter back calling the plays and the defence coaches behind their line calling the defence structures. That's how the opposed session against the Tigers was run, except the teams alternated between defence and offence in blocks (around 10 to 20 minutes I understand). It was a closed session so only the 2 teams know what structures and plays were run. Unlike a trail game were everyone gets to see the video and it gets played multiple times by opposition teams and broken down by their coaches. Right now I'd suggest that Pay and the team have watched every minute of the trial games, picking out the Warriors offence plays and what structures they used in defence. Breaking it down ready for the first game of the season. You can bet the Eels trial games and their round 1 game will be next on the video watching and analysis schedule.

As a result one trial game is OK by me.

Go Dogs
Big risk of going into rnd 1 not knowing whose best position is where and how to run your rotations.. would take a few games to get that in order.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Big risk of going into rnd 1 not knowing whose best position is where and how to run your rotations.. would take a few games to get that in order.
Maybe, but I extra trial game isn't going to do that either. Most of that knowledge comes from training every day and running drills, which is then supplemented by the opposed sessions (against the Tigers and internal) plus the trial game. That's a lot of data for the coaching staff to utilise.

Plus there are few clubs that are possibly regretting playing the extra trials due to the long term injuries that occurred during them. Whether they would have happened in the first season game is debatable, but they did happen in the trial and as a result they have affected a number of teams for a number of games.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are you talking about those one on one defensive attempts outwide on our tryline in the last 15-20 mins after the raiders put a knife through butter on Olive and Okunbur's side?
Well if you are, then there aren't many fullbacks that can stop those try's especially if you have reserve graders defending at centre and wing in the first line off defence.

I mean what did you want him to do, put his body on the line in a trial game and risk a serious injury or do a Billy Slater cannon ball shoulder charge because the Canberra trial game was such an important game?

I'm sure he'll go into tackles with a bit more gusto in the regular season when there's 2 premiership points up for grabs.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe, but I extra trial game isn't going to do that either. Most of that knowledge comes from training every day and running drills, which is then supplemented by the opposed sessions (against the Tigers and internal) plus the trial game. That's a lot of data for the coaching staff to utilise.

Plus there are few clubs that are possibly regretting playing the extra trials due to the long term injuries that occurred during them. Whether they would have happened in the first season game is debatable, but they did happen in the trial and as a result they have affected a number of teams for a number of games.

Go Dogs
Not disagreeing with you but what about rotations? You don't know how long Ur big boys can last unless it's a pretty decent hit out.